Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Audi advanced key (keyless entry) safety

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2017, 03:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi advanced key (keyless entry) safety

How safe or really "advanced" those keys are?
For instance, it seems that Toyota is having an issue with their keyless system. Here in Latvia, and in Russia they have become #1 stolen cars because of primitive keyless technology. It takes 10 seconds to highjack Toyotas. It takes two Thiefs and keyless signal retranslator. One is following you with signal retranslator in a Mall, another is opening and driving away your car from parking lot. Or just standing outside your house's doors, picking up signal, and other is entering your car.
I haven't heard Audi's are suffering from this problem.

Last edited by Atvars; 06-26-2017 at 03:33 PM.
Old 06-26-2017, 06:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 102 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Atvars
How safe or really "advanced" those keys are?
For instance, it seems that Toyota is having an issue with their keyless system. Here in Latvia, and in Russia they have become #1 stolen cars because of primitive keyless technology. It takes 10 seconds to highjack Toyotas. It takes two Thiefs and keyless signal retranslator. One is following you with signal retranslator in a Mall, another is opening and driving away your car from parking lot. Or just standing outside your house's doors, picking up signal, and other is entering your car.
I haven't heard Audi's are suffering from this problem.
ALL vehicles are susceptible to this type of attack. It's not just a re-transmitter , there is some coding required as well, has to do with timing. VW system may be more resistant, but most likely not immune.
Old 06-26-2017, 06:58 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

That and the stolen mirrors. I'm glad that hasn't caught on here.
Old 06-26-2017, 10:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Bozman5000
That and the stolen mirrors. I'm glad that hasn't caught on here.
This is why I don't park my Q7 on the street outside my house anymore. When arriving home, even for short period of time, I always park my car in garage. But anyway, I have "paranoia", when opening my garage doors, I am quite relaxed that car is still there. Sometimes I consider to sell my Q7 because of that...
Sometimes I think it should be good to install "goal keeper" system outside my house like on navy ships Hate those thief's.
Old 06-27-2017, 06:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

If you have a garage, then why park on the street at all? Doesn't sound like you live in a place where you can let your guard down even for a few moments.
Old 06-27-2017, 07:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by BigKutta
If you have a garage, then why park on the street at all? Doesn't sound like you live in a place where you can let your guard down even for a few moments.
I am not parking during night on the street my Q7. Sometimes I used to park car on the street outside my house if I knew that after an hour I will be going somewhere. My mirrors got stolen while I was home for an hour.
10 years ago my bicycles got stolen from my garage. Then I removed all possibilities from garage gate to open it manually from outside.
Couple years ago, some morning I could not open sliding gate of the fence. It turned out, that there was some thief's visit during the night, they have screwed off the motor that moves/holds sliding gate. They put it aside, so they could manually slide the gate open. But my "old" update to garage gate took them by surprise. They couldn't figure out how to open it.
I live 4 min ride from Riga International Airport (RIX). A lot of people go by my house daily. And some of them have not so good intentions.

Last edited by Atvars; 06-27-2017 at 07:09 AM.
Old 06-27-2017, 07:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Atvars
I am not parking during night on the street my Q7. Sometimes I used to park car on the street outside my house if I knew that after an hour I will be going somewhere. My mirrors got stolen while I was home for an hour.
10 years ago my bicycles got stolen from my garage. Then I removed all possibilities from garage gate to open them manually from outside.
Couple years ago, some morning I could not open sliding gate of the fence. It turned out, that there was some thief's visit during the night, they have screwed off the motor that moves/holds sliding gate. They put it aside, so they could manually slide the gate open. But my "old" update to garage gate took them by surprise. They couldn't figure out how to open it.
I live 4 min ride from Riga International Airport (RIX). A lot of people go by my house daily. And some of them have not so good intentions.
That really sucks. would hate to be always looking over my shoulder all the time regarding small theft. What a pain
Old 06-27-2017, 07:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by BigKutta
That really sucks. would hate to be always looking over my shoulder all the time regarding small theft. What a pain
'Zebra' par automa??nu zag?anu - DELFI

There is footage from security camera outside some house in Riga, how quickly Subaru Outback got stolen because of key-less access (second thief has re-translator in his bag).
Old 06-27-2017, 09:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 83 Likes on 63 Posts

You can buy a plug for 50EUR which switches off the keyless entry and makes your remote as an ordinary remote.
Old 06-27-2017, 10:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by anemeth
You can buy a plug for 50EUR which switches off the keyless entry and makes your remote as an ordinary remote.
Couple hours ago tested my key fob warped in foil. Q7 don't see it whatsoever. Just warped my second key fob (reserve, stored at home) also in foil, just in case.
Key fob I use daily, I will store in metal container during the night.
During the day, my car is parked in underground closed parking lot under our office building. During the weekend, car is usually in remote countryside, guarded by two dogs