Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Audi Connect Retrofit

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2018, 10:55 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi Connect Retrofit

Sorry if this topic has already been covered in this forum, but wondering if it is possible to retrofit Audi Connect on a 2017 Q7 Technik that is fully loaded but no Audi Connect. Thank you for pointing me in the right direction.
Old 07-13-2018, 11:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Audi Connect retrofit? I am sure your Q7 has whatever is needed for Audi Connect, and you just need to call Audi to subscribe. Or maybe I'm missing something?
Old 07-13-2018, 12:14 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by BigKutta
Audi Connect retrofit? I am sure your Q7 has whatever is needed for Audi Connect, and you just need to call Audi to subscribe. Or maybe I'm missing something?
I think the car has all the required hardware, but the SIM is missing and I suspect it is disabled by software. At any rate the Dealer in Canada has been unwilling to do it. So trying to find a solution.
Old 07-15-2018, 06:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pmxant
I think the car has all the required hardware, but the SIM is missing and I suspect it is disabled by software. At any rate the Dealer in Canada has been unwilling to do it. So trying to find a solution.
Sim is actually present in the car, there is no cable connecting MMI'd head unit's antenna jack to external antenna. ODB11 lets you to enable internal sim, but even then functions are not available, since audi connect server checks if VIN is registered in its database.
Old 07-16-2018, 06:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 354 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by pmxant
You don't really get "Audi Connect" in Canada. It's a neutered down version that has zero usable functionality. No traffic, no send maps to car, nothing. All you can see is where your car is parked (not moving, because if someone jacked it, who cares right?), oil/fuel, and the ability to make geo-fences and speed fences.

If you run your Q in a fleet like a cab, it would be of use. If you don't, I wouldn't waste any more time pursuing this.....
Old 07-18-2018, 12:41 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Wires
You don't really get "Audi Connect" in Canada. It's a neutered down version that has zero usable functionality. No traffic, no send maps to car, nothing. All you can see is where your car is parked (not moving, because if someone jacked it, who cares right?), oil/fuel, and the ability to make geo-fences and speed fences.

If you run your Q in a fleet like a cab, it would be of use. If you don't, I wouldn't waste any more time pursuing this.....
The big thing for me was to enable the onboard wifi with Audi Connect so that I can use the new rear seat entertainment screen which by the way no longer have a CD/DVD drive. I am not sure Audi really thought this one through and the car cost me 100K. I will have to come up with an alternative way of enabling the onboard Wifi. If anyone has idea would be welcomed.
Old 07-18-2018, 12:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 354 Likes on 278 Posts

You don't get onboard WiFi either. Audi Canada apparently hasn't come to an agreement with the crooked-three Canadian Cellular providers, so all the functionality is really low data usage.

They thought it through, we just live in the wrong country (unfortunately).