Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Audi Q7 2017 Oil Consumption. Any one else with this issue with this model and year?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2024, 01:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 402 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by AnalogAudi
What does a rebuilt / new engine do for resale or trade-in value?
I doubt it will change much. It's a 2017 car and it will be valued as one. Only people who know the work you have performed on the car would know its actual value and would be willing to pay more. Investing that much in it to sell or trade it in does not sound "sound". If you don't want to keep using the car, I suggest you negotiate trading it in as is. Don't forget to be nice with them while doing so, so you can get the max out of it. Being nice works.
Old 07-02-2024, 01:55 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kelisko
I doubt it will change much. It's a 2017 car and it will be valued as one. Only people who know the work you have performed on the car would know its actual value and would be willing to pay more. Investing that much in it to sell or trade it in does not sound "sound". If you don't want to keep using the car, I suggest you negotiate trading it in as is. Don't forget to be nice with them while doing so, so you can get the max out of it. Being nice works.
Yeah I don't do not nice, feels dumb and is less effective IMO.

I have a good vibe with the service guy, I just wish I understood the incentives better. My understanding is that dealers these days make most of their money from repairs, but I'm unclear how the Audio mother ship and the warranty company factor into this.

Funny aside - I've had 3 different loaner vehicles since November, seems like a weird business model to have customers put 8000+ miles onto new cars.
The following users liked this post:
keg97 (07-02-2024)
Old 07-02-2024, 07:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Hi All, Same issue here - 2017 Q7 3.0T which consumes 1 quart every 900 miles. Brought it into the dealer last November under extended warranty. After confirming the problem which was a two month process, the dealer has had my car since January(!) and now they are saying the repair cost is $26k and the car is worth $16k and I am on the hook for the difference. Feels real scammy to me, what are my options here?

I read in this thread that in some cases Audi USA has covered this cost - can anyone confirm? Any point in arguing the repair cost or car valuation?

Any advice much appreciated!
yeesh, this is precisely why I just traded in my vehicle and never buy extended warranties. (I know that does not help you). I called Audi and basically they said I would have to fork over $500 for an oil consumption test and it was a coin flip at best if they would do anything if it failed. (I was at 99k/no warranty) as such I just unloaded the car. Audi Client Care is 1-800-822-2834, I suspect you'll get nothing if mean, at least be nice first to see if it works before you blow up bridges.

I would probably curse out my warranty if I were you but based on the number of phone calls I get trying to sell me warrenties I'm not sure those people have souls. If Dante were alive he may have to create a new level of hell for them. I have no idea if they're protected in the fine print or not. Best of luck.
Old 07-03-2024, 06:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Hi All, Same issue here - 2017 Q7 3.0T which consumes 1 quart every 900 miles. Brought it into the dealer last November under extended warranty. After confirming the problem which was a two month process, the dealer has had my car since January(!) and now they are saying the repair cost is $26k and the car is worth $16k and I am on the hook for the difference. Feels real scammy to me, what are my options here?

I read in this thread that in some cases Audi USA has covered this cost - can anyone confirm? Any point in arguing the repair cost or car valuation?

Any advice much appreciated!
You have a couple options.
1) Tell the dealer to put it back together and trade it in another car. 16k trade.
2) Get the 16k the warranty co is willing to pay for the repair and junk the car vs fixing it.
3) Dump 10k into fixing an unreliable car.
Old 07-03-2024, 10:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by meyergsr
You have a couple options.
1) Tell the dealer to put it back together and trade it in another car. 16k trade.
2) Get the 16k the warranty co is willing to pay for the repair and junk the car vs fixing it.
3) Dump 10k into fixing an unreliable car.
What makes you think they will give him $16k for a trade. When I limped my 2017 Prestige with 120,000 miles into Audi for them to discover a burnt valve they offered me zero and I was going to buy something from them on the spot since we were 400 miles from home. Ended up renting a U-Haul and car carrier and towing it home that day.
Old 07-03-2024, 11:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I am interested and reasonably comfortable but right now my car's engine is ripped apart at the dealer.
Sorry, I'm a bit confused. The Audi dealer decided to rip apart the engine prior to getting approval to do the work? Sounds like you're in a predicament now, since they will want to charge to put the engine back together??. That said, how "ripped apart" is the engine at the moment? Can't they clean/replace the piston rings with it in this state?

I would say screw it to the warranty company/dealer, get the car back and do the soak. If it improves/fixes it, then you're done, otherwise, trade it and call it a day.

Lesson learned, 3rd party warranties suck. For the record, I had a similar situation with BMW "CPO" Warranty. The VANOS was making noise, and they said, sure we can do the work, but you have to pay for the oil pickup, which isn't covered, blah blah, something to that effect. After which, I resigned myself to the fact that if it's not factory warranty, then it's worthless.
Old 07-05-2024, 05:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by kelisko
Hey, if you're interested in what could be in the video, click. If you're not, ignore. It's that simple. I have been ignoring the annoying (to me) data for months and did not complain. Learn to live in society.

Since you're asking for it, below is your favorite brand's latest performance. Doing great! Bravo!!! I am definitely going to base my next purchase decision on that.

With RAM at the top, I am not too sure about the accuracy of this survey. Ask any independent mechanic (or check online) and they will tell you the vehicles from Stellantis are frequent flyers to their shop with RAM by far the worst for reliability. Maybe the RAM owners are part of the Dodge numbers.
But right now RAM, Jeep, alfa are very bad. I also noticed that Chrysler isn't listed, those are supposed to be trash too.

But if one wishes to buy vehicles based only on a JD Power survey, I am not stopping them.

PS: I have a Mazda CX9 with over 300,000 miles on it, and that sucker has been bullet proof. So I don't get Mazda near the bottom of the list.
PPS: Several highly rated consumer report products that I have purchased have been dogs.

Cheers!!
The following users liked this post:
GlennR (07-07-2024)
Old 07-05-2024, 05:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by keg97
So where is Suzuki? You know- that sweet new ride you purchased after you bought a crappy high mileage car sight unseen with no pre purchase inspection. Since I'm sure you followed your own "advice".
JD Power is a US survey. Suzuki doesn't sell models in the USA so they are not going to be on the list.
Old 07-06-2024, 08:22 AM
Ultimate Keyboard Warrior

Received 284 Likes on 204 Posts

2024 J.D. Power Initial Quality Study

J.D. Power’s signature Initial Quality Study is evolving. For the first time ever, the analytics firm is incorporating data on dealership repair visits into the study’s customer surveys. This year’s study is based on responses from 99,144 buyers and lessees of new model-year 2024 vehicles, and respondents were surveyed 90 days after acquiring their vehicles — and the survey is thorough.

J.D. Power asked customers 227 questions covering 10 categories: infotainment, features, controls and displays, exterior, driving assistance, interior, powertrain, seats, driving experience, climate and unspecified repair issues. J.D. Power says the newly included repair data covers hundreds of thousands of dealer visits.

The study’s resulting metric, problems per 100 vehicles (which J.D. Power abbreviates as PP100), requires a bit of an explanation. When applied to something named Initial Quality Study, PP100 can give the impression that modern cars fall apart shortly after leaving the dealer lot. However, many of the things that count against a brand’s score might be better categorized as A/FP100, which is to say annoyances or frustrations per 100 vehicles. These are not build-quality issues or mechanical problems, but headaches like confusing infotainment systems and false warnings from active-safety features.

Notable areas of frustration among owners include infotainment systems and other features and controls, which rate as the top two most problematic categories. This will likely continue to be a problem area as screens grow and automakers incorporate more functions into their displays; witness Mercedes-Benz’s Hyperscreen, BMW’s Curved Display and the Lincoln Nautilus’ dash-spanning screen, which is controlled by a separate touchscreen. Of features and controls, J.D. Power notes that, “The PP100 incidence in this category is more than 30% higher in EVs than in gas-powered vehicles.”

https://www.cars.com/articles/2024-j...s-list-485918/
Old 07-07-2024, 11:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Traded my 2018 Q7 with 65K miles in last August for a new 2023 Q8. Anyway, I still follow this Q7 forum. With respect to this oil issue, has anyone heard or tried the new Valvoline motor oil "Restore and Protect"? It claims to clean the pistons to like new. Just curious to see if this would be similar to the flushes I've read about in this thread. Not sure if all viscosities are available, but they have 0-20W for my Q8, assuming my v6 Q8 has the same V6 as the Q7's. Have a great day.

Quick Reply: Audi Q7 2017 Oil Consumption. Any one else with this issue with this model and year?