Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Audi Q7 2017 Oil Consumption. Any one else with this issue with this model and year?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2022, 08:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 811 Likes on 619 Posts

Originally Posted by SwissInTexas
That might be possible with a brand new car, this one is a CPO.
Ok, I thought that this car is under Audi warranty. So I will be keeping my fingers crossed for fast and successful end of this saga.
Old 06-09-2022, 01:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by retom
Ok, I thought that this car is under Audi warranty. So I will be keeping my fingers crossed for fast and successful end of this saga.
Technically it's still under Audi Warranty as it's an Audi CPO vehicle. We'll see what happens. The good news is that they now gave me a Q7 loaner.
Old 06-09-2022, 03:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 811 Likes on 619 Posts

Technically it's still under Audi Warranty as it's an Audi CPO vehicle. We'll see what happens. The good news is that they now gave me a Q7 loaner.
Well, I don't know how this works in USA. In EU if the car is under warranty the manufacturer is obliged to repair it at the certain time. If the manufacturer is not able to fix it the car should be replaced on new one or repurchased. It doesn't matter how many owners this car has. Warranty is a warranty. Sometimes it needs legal proceedings, but as a rule, car manufacturers try to avoid legal actions and conclude a settlement.
Old 06-10-2022, 03:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 58 Likes on 46 Posts

Check with your state’s consumer protection division. In Maryland, I was able to get BMW to buy back a car under Maryland’s lemon law that I bought used. In Maryland, there were, of course, certain timeframes that applied (how long since initial delivery of vehicle, etc), but my car met those requirements. I basically drove the car for a year (minus the one month’s worth of days it was in the shop) and it cost me nothing other than aggravation to do so when it was all said and done.
Old 06-10-2022, 05:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,203 Likes on 936 Posts

Originally Posted by retom
Well, I don't know how this works in USA. In EU if the car is under warranty the manufacturer is obliged to repair it at the certain time. If the manufacturer is not able to fix it the car should be replaced on new one or repurchased. It doesn't matter how many owners this car has. Warranty is a warranty. Sometimes it needs legal proceedings, but as a rule, car manufacturers try to avoid legal actions and conclude a settlement.
agreed. sucks to have to go down a path like this though.
Audi's corporate lawyers are much more wrapped around the axles with things like dieselgate, takata air bags, PODs recalls, and other major campaigns that really scream liability (think safety). Not so much lemon law on a car here or there...
Old 06-10-2022, 08:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by mhoran89
agreed. sucks to have to go down a path like this though.
Audi's corporate lawyers are much more wrapped around the axles with things like dieselgate, takata air bags, PODs recalls, and other major campaigns that really scream liability (think safety). Not so much lemon law on a car here or there...
I called Audi Customer Support and they just told me it's between me and the dealer to figure it out. I've started window shopping some GLE450s in the meantime.
Old 06-10-2022, 03:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I called Audi Customer Support and they just told me it's between me and the dealer to figure it out. I've started window shopping some GLE450s in the meantime.
Ugh. That sucks. I’m surprised that Audi Customer Support doesn’t really help or stand behind their product. I had a similar situation (related to my night vision camera) where Audi washed their hands of it and said it is up to the dealer, we won’t help you basically.

Luckily Carmax stepped in and picked up the $7,000 repair bill but pretty ridiculous. And given that I just had to add a quart of oil to my ‘18 Q7 Prestige after only about 7,000 miles (less than 40k total on the car), I’m a bit concerned to see this oil consumption issue being quite widespread it seems.
Old 06-13-2022, 05:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,203 Likes on 936 Posts

Originally Posted by Zapper
Ugh. That sucks. I’m surprised that Audi Customer Support doesn’t really help or stand behind their product. I had a similar situation (related to my night vision camera) where Audi washed their hands of it and said it is up to the dealer, we won’t help you basically.

Luckily Carmax stepped in and picked up the $7,000 repair bill but pretty ridiculous. And given that I just had to add a quart of oil to my ‘18 Q7 Prestige after only about 7,000 miles (less than 40k total on the car), I’m a bit concerned to see this oil consumption issue being quite widespread it seems.
If you had to add a full quart after 7,000 miles since it was last filled (and changed) that is pretty good. What people don't understand is the additives break down in oil over miles and the same oil has to work harder and harder the "older" it is. What this equates to is increased oil consumption closer to the 10K OCIs Audi specs. I change the oil every 5K miles and literally don't add any oil to the car. I might be anywhere from a 1/4 to 2/3 of a quart low by the time I drive 5K miles, but then I either change it myself or have someone do it and move on. No reason to keep the oil "topped off" if I am going to change it 2X as much as Audi requires. If I was beating it hard (ie: track day) I would make sure it was full.

TLDR: I think there is no reason to worry if your Q7 was short a quart after 7K miles. I would suggest moving to 5,000 mile oil changes for the security, peace of mind, and longevity of the engine.
Old 06-15-2022, 05:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

The dealer is between my house and my office and I can see my car parked outside every time I drive by (dealer doesn't know or else they'd probably park my car out back). The car hasn't moved since June 7th and that also aligns with the last activity registered in the Motion for Audi App. I don't want to bother the service advisor for updates all the time as that might put my car even further down the list but no movement in over a week seems odd. Seems like Audi is really taking their time reviewing the warranty claim.
I'll probably ask for an update by Friday, thoughts?
Old 06-16-2022, 02:20 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I have been reading through this thread and unfortunately I have another case of high oil consumption to add here. 2017 Q7 3.0T just got back from the audi dealer for its 60k service (@57k) including spark plugs and all that. One of the bigger services. Now about 2 months and 2k miles later (59k miles), the low oil level light came on. The low level intervals are getting progressively worse. Audi dealer says its normal. I also just put new brakes and tires on it so im kinda stuck with this for at least a couple of years to absorb some of those maintenance costs. Guess ill stick a quart of oil in the trunk for now and continue to top it up...

Quick Reply: Audi Q7 2017 Oil Consumption. Any one else with this issue with this model and year?