Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Audi Q7 2017 Oil Consumption. Any one else with this issue with this model and year?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2022, 10:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 133 Likes on 91 Posts

I would just stop looking at the app and making you think what's wrong when another code shows up. They're not going to give it back to you with codes, especially ones that may be related to timing. Misfires can happen even on an engine without issue. Doing pistons and rings is not rocket science. I'd give them the benefit of the doubt that the tech knows what they're doing. The work should also be warrantied for 1 year / 12k miles so if there were any issues related to the job, it should pop up well within that time frame.
The following users liked this post:
SwissInTexas (07-20-2022)
Old 07-20-2022, 01:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 811 Likes on 619 Posts

When picking up the car, I would ask them to scan it in your presence, then do a longer test drive and ask the dealer to scan the car for errors again.
Yes, replacing pistons and rings may not be "rocked science" but you've seen with your own eyes your engine in parts in the trunk of your car and you can imagine how serious this repair was.
Of course, you will have the warranty on this repair but it is mostly about the hassle, stress and your wasted time if something was done wrong.
Not to mention the frustration of your wife who seems to be the main user of this car.
Old 07-20-2022, 01:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,203 Likes on 936 Posts

Originally Posted by retom
When picking up the car, I would ask them to scan it in your presence, then do a longer test drive and ask the dealer to scan the car for errors again.
Yes, replacing pistons and rings may not be "rocked science" but you've seen with your own eyes your engine in parts in the trunk of your car and you can imagine how serious this repair was.
Of course, you will have the warranty on this repair but it is mostly about the hassle, stress and your wasted time if something was done wrong.
Not to mention the frustration of your wife who seems to be the main user of this car.
+ 1 for this. well said.
Old 07-20-2022, 01:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by mhoran89
+ 1 for this. well said.
2nd. I'm not saying it is what it is but stressing over each code that pops up as they're still working on the car isn't worth it. Let them fix it, present it, show there are no codes and that readiness is set so that there was enough driving cycles done then go for a test drive with the tech to ensure there are no odd noises, performance issues, etc.

Storing parts in a customer's car is pretty common from what I've seen (more so for repairs that will take some time). Shops don't have storage space for everything, especially when lots of parts need to come out. As long as they take care to stow it properly and not get the interior all greased/dirtied/torn up, not a huge deal IMO. I'd rather them store parts in the car, with care, than potentially misplace a part in the shop.
Old 07-20-2022, 05:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by GDawgA4
2nd. I'm not saying it is what it is but stressing over each code that pops up as they're still working on the car isn't worth it. Let them fix it, present it, show there are no codes and that readiness is set so that there was enough driving cycles done then go for a test drive with the tech to ensure there are no odd noises, performance issues, etc.

Storing parts in a customer's car is pretty common from what I've seen (more so for repairs that will take some time). Shops don't have storage space for everything, especially when lots of parts need to come out. As long as they take care to stow it properly and not get the interior all greased/dirtied/torn up, not a huge deal IMO. I'd rather them store parts in the car, with care, than potentially misplace a part in the shop.
Great point.

They did call earlier mentioning that they had some codes pop up during the test drive and that it's all taken care of now and the car should be ready tomorrow afternoon after a full interior detail. I did mention the following to the service manager:
  • Don't pull up my car, I want to hear a cold start.
  • I want the car scanned, go for a test drive and scanned again as suggested above.
He agreed to both.
Old 07-20-2022, 05:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by SwissInTexas
Great point.

They did call earlier mentioning that they had some codes pop up during the test drive and that it's all taken care of now and the car should be ready tomorrow afternoon after a full interior detail. I did mention the following to the service manager:
  • Don't pull up my car, I want to hear a cold start.
  • I want the car scanned, go for a test drive and scanned again as suggested above.
He agreed to both.
Awesome! I hope it's done to satisfaction and you'll be driving the car home.
Old 07-21-2022, 02:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Picked the car up earlier this afternoon and it's back home now. The invoice shows well over $9k worth of work, glad that Audi is picking up that bill.

While there we scanned the car and it still had a P0011 code which they cleared, we then went on a 45 minute drive and turned the car off and on a few times. Once back at the dealer we rescanned it and everything was fine. I did notice that they didn't screw down the ignition wire cover (the orange cover) on one side which I pointed out to them and they took care of it immediately. Lets hope this was the worst thing we'll ever have happen to the Q7 and we can enjoy 6-7 years of trouble free motoring. I did go ahead and buy and extended warranty (dealer gave me quite a discount due to all the hassles).

I hope that everyone that has this issue with their Q7 can get Audi to repair it, and hopefully with a lot less hassle.
Old 07-21-2022, 02:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 811 Likes on 619 Posts

Picked the car up earlier this afternoon and it's back home now. The invoice shows well over $9k worth of work, glad that Audi is picking up that bill.

While there we scanned the car and it still had a P0011 code which they cleared, we then went on a 45 minute drive and turned the car off and on a few times. Once back at the dealer we rescanned it and everything was fine. I did notice that they didn't screw down the ignition wire cover (the orange cover) on one side which I pointed out to them and they took care of it immediately. Lets hope this was the worst thing we'll ever have happen to the Q7 and we can enjoy 6-7 years of trouble free motoring. I did go ahead and buy and extended warranty (dealer gave me quite a discount due to all the hassles).

I hope that everyone that has this issue with their Q7 can get Audi to repair it, and hopefully with a lot less hassle.
I'm glad this saga has come to a happy end. I wish you to enjoy the trouble-free driving with your Q7 for the next few years.
Thank you also for the constant update.
Old 07-21-2022, 04:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Would you mind share the detail of your repair invoice? Want to see how extensive this repair was.
Old 07-22-2022, 09:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by HKBruin
Would you mind share the detail of your repair invoice? Want to see how extensive this repair was.
Here you go. There are a ton of miscellaneous bolts, gaskets, etc.

Last edited by SwissInTexas; 07-22-2022 at 09:26 AM.

Quick Reply: Audi Q7 2017 Oil Consumption. Any one else with this issue with this model and year?