Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Audi Q7 2017 Oil Consumption. Any one else with this issue with this model and year?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2022, 07:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,203 Likes on 936 Posts

Originally Posted by silver_tt
This is a public forum and I am an Audi owner. If you don't like that you can unsubscribe from this thread or contact a moderator with your concerns.

Back on topic, your posts in this thread indicate that you know absolutely nothing about oil or how engines work. Saying things like used oil analysis has nothing to do with oil consumption..... you are clueless
I won't go cry wolf just yet considering you do have every right to post here. But saying I am completely clueless is not particularly accurate...

Audi may have a design flaw regarding the rings or maybe a built in obsolescence. I believe treating the car right and changing the oil every 5K is good practice. You will most definitely see piston ring related oil consumption issues regardless of the brand, type, or interval at which you change your oil if you take these cars into higher mileage. There are hundreds of these cars approaching 100K without issues and I bet most of those had the oil changed close to 10K intervals with factory spec oil at the dealer. You only hear about a small subset of folks on here who have issues. people do not come on car forums to say how much they love cars, or certainly not as much as people come on here to b**ch and moan about how much something sucks.

each to their own. can you please share your experience with your gen II Q7 with the 3.0T supercharged powerplant and what you are doing so correctly? maybe it can help others...
Old 10-27-2022, 11:07 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 377 Likes on 341 Posts

Direct injection engines produce soot similar to a light diesel engine because the fuel is sprayed directly into the cylinder at very high pressure instead of being introduced further upstream in the intake -- which means there is less time for the fuel to atomize, and you have unburned product that will end up in the oil as soot. DFI engines tend to consume a lot more oil across all brands not just Audi, especially if you follow factory oil directives (which are designed around emissions/environmental standards rather than engine protection). This is a well known and documented fact in the industry....

https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...01679X15000432

I have told you what I am doing correctly (as if I could take credit for this?). If you are able to understand or are listening, that is whole different question.............good luck
Old 10-27-2022, 01:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by silver_tt
Direct injection engines produce soot similar to a light diesel engine because the fuel is sprayed directly into the cylinder at very high pressure instead of being introduced further upstream in the intake -- which means there is less time for the fuel to atomize, and you have unburned product that will end up in the oil as soot. DFI engines tend to consume a lot more oil across all brands not just Audi, especially if you follow factory oil directives (which are designed around emissions/environmental standards rather than engine protection). This is a well known and documented fact in the industry....

https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...01679X15000432

I have told you what I am doing correctly (as if I could take credit for this?). If you are able to understand or are listening, that is whole different question.............good luck
10K OCIs are for user friendliness and overall cost of ownership (mainly 5 years). we all know Audi specs no change interval for trans or diff fluid. same thing. they are trying to be competitive in the cost of ownership among other luxury brands. I don't understand how a 10K OCI in an Audi has anything to do with emissions or environmental standards...
Old 10-28-2022, 04:43 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I have 2017 Q7 3.0 with 104k miles. It started burning oil last year, and has got progressively worse. I'm adding a quart every 700 miles. Here's the question, Audio switched the engine in MKII from supercharged to turbo (the mid-cycle refresh, I think). Is the updated engine also known to burn oil too? I have a new Q7 on order that wil bel built in February. I'm to the point where I'm not sure if I even want it. It sucks because this is my wife's car, but we bought it to replace a 2011 Yukon XL that both of us hated driving. It seems like Mercedes is the only other German company that makes a high-end SUV that has a high towing capacity. It also sucks, because this is likely to destroy the resale/trade value of the Q7.

Last edited by ephone1; 10-28-2022 at 06:15 PM.
The following users liked this post:
audiOwner200 (04-15-2024)
Old 10-31-2022, 04:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by ephone1
I have 2017 Q7 3.0 with 104k miles. It started burning oil last year, and has got progressively worse. I'm adding a quart every 700 miles. Here's the question, Audio switched the engine in MKII from supercharged to turbo (the mid-cycle refresh, I think). Is the updated engine also known to burn oil too? I have a new Q7 on order that wil bel built in February. I'm to the point where I'm not sure if I even want it. It sucks because this is my wife's car, but we bought it to replace a 2011 Yukon XL that both of us hated driving. It seems like Mercedes is the only other German company that makes a high-end SUV that has a high towing capacity. It also sucks, because this is likely to destroy the resale/trade value of the Q7.
hate to say it but if you are buying a Q7 and worried about the residual value after you're done with it 100K miles later you're not buying the right car. I cannot speak to the oil consumption on the turbo 3.0T. my B9 S5 burned a bunch of oil but I also had the boost turned up and was hard on it. The shop who deals with performance cars who last changed the oil on it for me said I could see much increased oil consumption when tuned, which I did.
Old 10-31-2022, 06:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by ephone1
It's probably a little early for any turbo equipped Q7 to accumulate enough miles for consumption issues to turn up.
I will say oil consumption is more likely with a turbo engine VS a supercharged engine. The reason being the turbo is lubricated with engine oil and with the supercharger it is a self contained oil system.
How much weight are you towing? I think the MDX is rated at 5k tow capacity and is very reliable and better resale value then any German vehicle. The driving dynamics are very similar to the Q7 on the 2022 and up refresh of the MDX.
Old 10-31-2022, 03:36 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm towing 7K. I don't tow often, but the MDX doesn't even offer a towing package - at least one that includes a hitch.
Old 11-03-2022, 08:56 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by erhoskins
I purchased my 2017 Audi Q7 in August 2016. The vehicle is advertised as requiring servicing and oil change every 10,000 miles. Unfortunately, my vehicle has never made it to a 10,000 mile interval without the yellow oil indicator light come on. When I asked the Audi service agent , he states that the car does not typically make it to a 10,000 mile interval because of the large engine. Over the past 5 years the interval to add one quart of oil has been less and less. It has gone from ~9500, 7500, 3000 intervals. On July 22, 2021 I took my car in for the 80,000 mile service. The actual mileage on the odometer was 80,304. The car service was complete and returned. On August 16, 2021, my yellow oil indicator light came on at 81,588 miles. I called the my local Audi Service and was advised to come in for an oil consumption test. I also notified the National Audi Customer Service line to voice my concern for my car. I inquired if oil consumption is a known issue in the Audi Q7 2017. There was not a clear admission of this concern in their vehicles but it made me concern that this could be an issue because of historical issues with Audi's early consumption of oil. I am concerned because this vehicle has the oil indicator light come on in shorter intervals which make me concerned about the longevity and reliability of the engine.
I have very similar situation with my 2017 Q7. Dealer's answer is it's normal for all turbo engines?! this should be a civil case against AUDI!
Old 11-03-2022, 09:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

My local indy shop recommended I change at 7k, so that's what I've been doing. I usually add a quart in between changes (usually need to add 1/2 quart every 3000 miles or so). I do a mix of driving. 2017 (in-service date 9/2016), 55k miles right now.

I also changed the trans fluid and plugs at 53k b/c it was 6 years. They can talk about lifetime fluids and waiting longer to replace certain fluids and items, but I don't want to get stranded. Would rather pay a little more now than a lot later.
Old 11-03-2022, 09:03 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BGilmore1800
Yes, I have ths ame issue with a 2018 Q7 currently 98,000 miles. I have to add 2 quarts between 10,000 mile service. I seem to have some oil coming out at the filler cap, not enough to wet a service towel, but enough to see that it is obviously oil. I have been careful to be sure it was not casued by spill over when I add the synthetic oil.
I have similar issue with my 2017 Q7, 78k mi. I replaced the engine oil cap however that didn't help, there's also an oil burning smell inside the cabin which go away after certain time of driving.

Quick Reply: Audi Q7 2017 Oil Consumption. Any one else with this issue with this model and year?