Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Audi Q7 2017 Oil Consumption. Any one else with this issue with this model and year?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2023, 01:29 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Consumption Possible PCV oil separator issue.

Originally Posted by meyergsr
My 2017 has 75K and has started consuming more oil then when It was newer. I just did an oil change and I'm keeping track how many miles before add a quart happens. I think it is going to be around 1000 to 1500 miles. Not sure yet.
I have started to research this issue and the first item that turns up as a possible cause is the oil separator or PCV valve located under the supercharger. I have also noticed with the engine idling the oil fill cap has alot of vacuum on it. Pretty hard to take off from the suction. I think this may be a sign of a bad PVC valve. Does any one know? Has anyone tried removing the oil cap while idling?
I have the same issue but my dealer seems to think i would be wasting my time and money. they feel the car needs new pistons and rings. Cost over $10,000. they told me to sell the car. WTF is wrong with Audi. These are 1960's issues. what a joke!
Old 02-04-2023, 01:31 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Consumption Possible PCV oil separator issue.

My 2017 has 75K and has started consuming more oil then when It was newer. I just did an oil change and I'm keeping track how many miles before add a quart happens. I think it is going to be around 1000 to 1500 miles. Not sure yet.
I have started to research this issue and the first item that turns up as a possible cause is the oil separator or PCV valve located under the supercharger. I have also noticed with the engine idling the oil fill cap has alot of vacuum on it. Pretty hard to take off from the suction. I think this may be a sign of a bad PVC valve. Does any one know? Has anyone tried removing the oil cap while idling?
I have the same issue but my dealer seems to think i would be wasting my time and money. they feel the car needs new pistons and rings. Cost over $10,000. they told me to sell the car. WTF is wrong with Audi. These are 1960's issues. what a joke!
Forgot to add- i have a 2018 Q7 with 89K on it.
Old 02-05-2023, 07:46 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Bought 2 Audis in 2 months with this issue

Audi 1:
2017 A6 Prestige 3.0T 91,000 miles purchased November 2022
Oil indicator came on within 5 days of deliver; I added 1 qt and documented levels until low. Ran Max to Min on MMI in 277 miles. The dealership offered to buy it back; I asked them if I could contact AoA. AoA considered the claim for almost 2 weeks, but ended up denying. Dealer took boroscope to cylinders and stated “they’ve never seen anything like it… swirls on the cylinder walls”. Dealer bought back A6 with no questions asked!

Audi 2:
2019 Q7 Premium Plus 95,000 miles purchased January 2023
Having experienced oil consumption, I immediately checked oil level at delivery (MAX). 2 days and 100 miles later, MMI showed 2/3. I contacted the dealer, and they said they would take care of the issue, and to make an appointment at their Audi store. I called and made the appointment, and they are going to do the consumption test tomorrow. Now 230 miles in, and MMI reading at 1/2, so I'm pretty sure it will not pass the upcoming consumption test. I'm hoping for the full long block replacement.

I always purchase a European Big 3 vehicle (MB-BMW-Audi) with 90-100k miles, and very well maintained, and keep them till around 180k, and have never have had issues like this before, however this is my first Audi in over 20 years... I've had a 2005 X5, 2005 E320CDI, and a 2013 535iX since 2007
The following users liked this post:
audiOwner200 (04-15-2024)
Old 02-05-2023, 07:56 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Forgot to mention Audi 2 above (Q7) is also a 3.0T
Old 02-06-2023, 05:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Janisrick
Forgot to add- i have a 2018 Q7 with 89K on it.
Take your dealers advise! Mine ended up being diagnosed as piston ring failure. The engine had low compression in 2 cylinders. Same deal over 10k to repair.
I dumped the Q7 while the used car market was still high. I have one Audi left and will not buy another. These engines or any manufactures engines should not be failing at under 100k miles.
Old 02-07-2023, 08:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, after $2K in work, including the PCV valve and an oil change, the dealer gave me back my car. I drove it, and yesterday the add oil light came on - after 2,246 miles! Hopefully the problem is fixed.
Old 02-08-2023, 04:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by hisself
Well, after $2K in work, including the PCV valve and an oil change, the dealer gave me back my car. I drove it, and yesterday the add oil light came on - after 2,246 miles! Hopefully the problem is fixed.
I don't understand how that is fixed? You should be able to go 5k plus miles without adding oil. Most vehicles will go the whole oil change interval without topoff.
Old 02-08-2023, 03:02 PM
Ultimate Keyboard Warrior

Received 284 Likes on 204 Posts

I don't understand how that is fixed? You should be able to go 5k plus miles without adding oil. Most vehicles will go the whole oil change interval without topoff.
There are 5 vehicles in my signature with 3.0T. I have never added oil between service intervals. I actually turned in 2 unopened bottles of oil I bought to dealership for disposal as they reached shelf life.
Old 02-08-2023, 03:15 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

On May 29, a California federal judge granted final approval to a class action lawsuit settlement with Volkswagen and Audi over claims they sold nearly 126,000 vehicles that consumed excess engine oil.

If you purchased or leased a 2009-2011 model year Audi 4, Audi A5 or Audi Q5 vehicle, you may be included in the class action settlement and be eligible to claim a number of benefits, including free repairs, an extended warranty and reimbursement for out-of-pocket expenses.

The Audi oil consumption settlement resolves a 2012 class action lawsuit (Asghari v. Volkswagen Group of America Inc.) that claimed certain 2009-2011 Audi vehicles contained engine defects “that cause them to burn off and/or consume abnormally high amounts of oil.”

The Audi engine class action lawsuit was transferred to federal court in Central California at the request of Audi and Volkswagen and later combined with other similar class action lawsuits, adding additional lead plaintiffs.

Audi and Volkswagen deny the allegations and any wrongdoing but agreed to a class action settlement in September 2014 to resolve the litigation.

U.S. District Judge Margaret M. Morrow preliminarily approved the deal on Oct. 16, 2014 and later granted final approval on May 29, 2015.

The Audi oil consumption settlement covers all purchasers and lessees, in the United States and Puerto Rico, of the following vehicles originally equipped with a factory-installed 2.0 liter TFSI longitudinal engine bearing Audi internal engine code CAEB (“CAEB engine”):
  • 2009 model year Audi A4
  • 2010 model year Audi A4 or A5
  • 2011 model year Audi A4, A5 or Q5
Old 02-13-2023, 08:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Considering that I was having to add a quart of oil at less than 800 miles, 2240 is a fix. Yes, I should be able to go 5000 +, but I'll take 2200 for now.

Quick Reply: Audi Q7 2017 Oil Consumption. Any one else with this issue with this model and year?