Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Audi Q7 2017 Oil Consumption. Any one else with this issue with this model and year?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2023, 08:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 399 Likes on 332 Posts

RECAP. 28+ complaints in this thread alone. Read some of them below. And there are other threads with more complaints.

Why "some people" are still defending the undefendable? Go figure...

Why not a class-action lawsuit? Hopefully soon but the owner's manual clearly says that 1 quart every 1,000 miles is normal which means they knew this would happen. Unfortunately by then, you are out of warranty and extended warranty does not cover the cost of engine rebuild or engine replacement, so have we been screwed by our favorite car brand or is there a lawful alternative to this? What a big fraud!

Same 3.0T engine in: A6, A7, Q7, S4, S5, SQ5. Same issues: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-...ption-3052400/

Originally Posted by erhoskins
I purchased my 2017 Audi Q7 in August 2016. The vehicle is advertised as requiring servicing and oil change every 10,000 miles. Unfortunately, my vehicle has never made it to a 10,000 mile interval without the yellow oil indicator light come on. When I asked the Audi service agent , he states that the car does not typically make it to a 10,000 mile interval because of the large engine. Over the past 5 years the interval to add one quart of oil has been less and less. It has gone from ~9500, 7500, 3000 intervals. On July 22, 2021 I took my car in for the 80,000 mile service. The actual mileage on the odometer was 80,304. The car service was complete and returned. On August 16, 2021, my yellow oil indicator light came on at 81,588 miles. I called the my local Audi Service and was advised to come in for an oil consumption test. I also notified the National Audi Customer Service line to voice my concern for my car. I inquired if oil consumption is a known issue in the Audi Q7 2017. There was not a clear admission of this concern in their vehicles but it made me concern that this could be an issue because of historical issues with Audi's early consumption of oil. I am concerned because this vehicle has the oil indicator light come on in shorter intervals which make me concerned about the longevity and reliability of the engine.
Hi all!
Just an update from my previous post. My 2017 Audi Q7(~82,000 miles) underwent the oil consumption test for $189. I took the car in this week for "phase 2" of the test and I was told that I need pistons. The service manager was going advocate on my behalf for Audi to cover the cost. She suggested that I need to replace the valve and that would be my responsibility. At this point, i am kinda stuck because the car is paid for with little trade in value which sucks. I will here later this week on the "verdict" on whether Audi covers their defective cars.
Originally Posted by Andrewflk
We have a 2017 Q7 3.0T with 99K miles that started to noticeably burn oil at about 90K and continued to get worse. Always serviced at dealer on schedule under Audi care plan. Did the oil consumption test and they measured 1.6 quarts in 1,000 miles and gave us a quote for new pistons, rings and PCV valve for $17K. In addition, new engine mounts for another $2K.

This car was mostly driven by my wife highway miles and is still on the original set of brake pads - so obviously was not driven hard.

SA told my wife that it was time for us to get a new car. I don’t remember reading in the owner’s manual to discard after 100K.

This was my 3rd Audi but sold the other two when still under warranty. Will try to contact Audi North America as next step.

Thanks eroskins for sharing your experience that gives me some hope that Audi might step up.
Originally Posted by meyergsr
Follow up to my question. My oil consumption test failed. Dealer quoted 12k for new pistons and rings. I'm most likely going to trade.
I purchased with 38k and it always used a quart at 5k intervals. I've also done 5k oil change intervals during my ownership.
The last 5k interval I added oil twice, then it started guzzling oil a quart every 700 miles. It runs perfectly doesn't smoke and feels like full power.
Compression test shows two cylinders below spec.
Originally Posted by mwhyte
Bumping this thread because I have my own story to add.

At about 85K, my car started sucking back oil -- like, a quart every 200 miles. I had a good indie mechanic go over the whole thing, including a boroscope (internal camera) of the cylinders. What he could see pretty clearly was that the cylinders walls had significant scratching in at least 3/6 pistons. That means the seals on the pistons were wrecked and oil was burning out of them.

GIven that the engine block is aluminum (Audi standard) the only solution is to replace the whole engine block. Which, let's be real, is insane for a 5 year old car! It's not as bad as it could be -- used block with ~5k miles is about $5k, + $2500 labor -- but it's really not what I expected from a premium car.

My options now are: Try to pass it off on trade where the dealer can absorb the issue; complain to Audi; or fix the damn thing. Mechanic says this is not a known issue; just lousy luck. But I'm kind of soured on Audis after this. Any thoughts appreciated.
Originally Posted by mwhyte
That’s very helpful thank you. My consumption is much worse — 1 qt every 300-400 miles so it seems like I’m near the end. I’m going to drive another 2,000 or so and decide what to do next. I do love the car — everything else is great — so the $8K or so might be worth it. I’d be driving an essentially new engine so that has some appeal.

I will say that around 75,000 I was using a quart every 2500 or so and it suddenly started getting worse to where I am now. So you might be heading in that direction.
Originally Posted by petery129
I am still scratching my head and try to understand what my SA told me about the supercharged V6 burning lots of oil as mileage goes up since I did dealer maintenance every 10K miles since 2016 and I still have an excessive engine oil issue, I don't think I will need to replace the engine soon but what can I do to to prevent further widening of the piston/cylinder wall clearance? Maybe oil change every 5000 miles? At 90K miles I don't think I can ask AoA to step in but if this is a known issue or design flaw within supercharged V6, they should come up with a fix for free.
Seems to be more then a few lemons in this thread alone. I have done 5k OCI since 38k when I purchased. Didn't seem to help. It is now at 76k and burning one quart every 700miles. There is no way I'm doing a "quick rebuild" at the dealer or install a used engine. I stopped driving the vehicle for awhile to figure out a plan and decided to trade in on something else. Not an Audi. I'm done with the brand except for my 2008 TT roadster which has been mostly trouble free so far. The online dealers are offering $29,500 as is and the repair is 12k. The real problem is finding inventory in these times.
smart move!

I just got a call back from Audi of America and they said they would not consider a buy back.

At this point, I got $27k offer on a trade. I am leaving Audi and going to a more reliable brand with less headache.

I loved the ride while it lasted but I hated going to the dealer for service 4-5 times/year.
​​​​​​​
Originally Posted by Steelcoil
I think at over 80K miles Audi pretty much considers it End of Life. It seems like the newer low-friction piston rings really are a big problem. It sucks if Audis do not last more than 100k. They are not "premium" of a brand anyway.

Better look at other brands than Audi next time for us too.
​​​​​​​
Originally Posted by hcso2332
Same issue here, 2017 Q7 3.0 with 134,000 miles. I am the original owner and it has been to the dealer several times for oil consumption. The oil consumption led to faults and misfire of #3 and #6 pistons. Latest from dealer is new piston rings with a repair estimate of $13,793, which I didn't want to spend that kind of money on an engine with 134,000 miles. I ended up buying a OBDEleven scanner to clear the faults but the misfire came right back. I then did an oil change using Liqui Moly engine flush. This helped for approximately 2000 miles but now pistons #3 and #6 are fouled due to carbon and misfiring again. Looking into putting a engine in from a 2017-1019 wrecked Q7. I can pick up an engine from $6500-$7500 (6500 miles to 44,000 miles). Unfortunately mechanics in my area want $7000 to do the swap.
​​​​​​​
Originally Posted by SwissInTexas
I bought a 2018 CPO Q7 in November of last year with 29k miles on it. The first 'add a quart' message came on last month at 31751 miles so I decided to do an oil change just to monitor it. I just had the 'add a quart' message appear again a month later at 33000 miles and also checked via dipstick and it was low. Not very confidence inspiring at just over 1300 miles. I could add a quart myself but I will start to bring it into the dealer from now on each time the message appears so that they have a record of it while the car is still under warranty for another 2 years. The wife's prior car (Volvo XC70) consume zero oil but the transmission sucked, so I guess each brand has their issues.
​​​​​​​
Originally Posted by cdh1161
I have a 2017 Q7 with 88K on it how. Over the past 10K oil consumption has steadily declined and today I had to add a quart at 450 miles. Last quart was at 600 miles. I have talked with Audi and in the past and they stated every 1,200 miles to add a quart was acceptable. They also gave the impression that this was a 100K engine/car. The PVC was an option but they only gave it a 25% chance to help. The service writer also had three other 3L Q7 oil consumption issues on her desk. BTW, My daughter has a 2018 3L Q7 with 75K and is now experiencing excessive oil consumption. I really like the Q7 but am disappointed with the engine longevity.
​​​​​​​
Originally Posted by kingnothing75
Well im having same issue with my wife's Audi 3.0L 2017 Q7. has 96721 miles on it.

Now engine oil light comes on every 2 weeks or so. I just paid / demanded an engine oil consumption test, about $400, and was told (after results analyzed), ' its probably the breather'. Then i paid $3475, and not even 2 weeks later, the oil light is back on again. Now im expected to go back in, and then to be charged another huge amount!?? Money down the drain.

As we speak i am writing a long email to Audi Corporate and am furious at having got the run around. I am demanding a refund, or at least that they change the pistons and piston rings or whatever ( sorry, im not a car guy), and roll the $3475 i paid into that work. Am also linking posts like these on the forum (to m yemail) so these guys realize im not blowing smoke up their ***, this is a defective engine, and they have another class action lawsuit probably brewing in the works.

Will let you know how it goes.

Adnan (Chicago , USA)
Originally Posted by LIB
I also have a 2017 Q7 and have noticed an increased frequency in the need for oil. It started asking for a litre between changes, and over the past two years the it's asking for oil almost every 1000 km. Just wondering what the outcome was for you?
Originally Posted by Mbarot
We have 2017 Q7 3.0 liter Quattro.
we have the same issues as you have mentioned. I took it to the dealer but no satisfactory answers except to get rid of it cut the losses!!
Originally Posted by michaeloil
I have a similar purchase date and have the same oil burn duration. I am in Canada and changing the oil more frequently is irrelevant as the same thing happens after even less than half the amount of driving, It burns oil. I also notice that once a little down but no light you can hear piston ring friction at start up summer or winter. this sounds to me like a cover up that needs to be exposed. I think most people would just sell the vehicle and move on rather than to engage in the amount of back and forth required to expose this obvious sham.
​​​​​​​
Originally Posted by JessRega
2017 Q7 3.0T here... Purchased in May 2016. 114K miles. I have read through this thread and it has been extremely enlightening. I have an additional question for those who are burning through oil like me (approximately every 1,000-1,200 miles I need a quart).

Have you had any issues passing SMOG? I am in California and the requirements are quite strict. Due for first SMOG next month before I can register the vehicle... would be lying if I wasn't a bit nervous.

Any input greatly appreciated.
Originally Posted by tcromwell35
I am dealing with the same issue with my 2017 Q7 3.0T. Burning a quart of oil every 475 miles. I am so frustrated with the whole situation I doubt I’ll ever consider purchasing an Audi again. I have an extended warranty that is good through 100K miles but they won’t say whether or not they’ll cover the new rings and pistons job until they visually inspect the inside of the engine. That requires a $4,800.00 tear down which they won’t pay for. If they deem it to be covered then they would reimburse us for the year down cost. The service director at our local dealership said she feels the extended warranty would likely reject the claim then we’d be stuck. I put in a goodwill request with Audi North America and haven’t heard back from them but the service manager at our local dealership told my wife yesterday that they (Audi NA) were going to offer to pay for half the cost of the repair. Does anyone have an idea as to how much this will reduce the value of the trade in? I’d imagine you have to disclose this known issue when trading. Any insight would be a huge help.
​​​​​​​
Originally Posted by meeshybo
My Audi Q7 2017 3.0t has been plagued with issues after the first year. It had two cracked cylinders under warranty replaced. I should of traded the car in at that very moment. The dealership assured me this was not normal and just a defect within the metal and not at all common. Upon placing the engine back in they broke several additional parts (all covered by the dealership). Sometime later I noticed my q7 slowly requiring more and more oil between oil changes. I told my Audi dealership’s service department that I suspected it was using an unusual amount of oil. I was brushed off and reassured it’s normal and it’s a high performance engine, but that my car was in great shape. I’ve never missed a service or the recommend maintenance. Well, several years later at 120,000 miles (all highway) I paid for the oil consumption test. It failed at no surprise to me. The service department told me my engine is shot because, there is no repair kit available for an engine of that years model. It’s basically too new to fail. I attempted to reach Audi customer care at the dealerships direction but, couldn’t stomach the three and half hour hold time. Suggestions?
​​​​​​​
Originally Posted by Metalusmc
Hello all, my 18 Q7 with 67k miles is having this issue. It started progressively asking for oil sooner. My dealership replaced the blower, sensors, gaskets, etc. It has been service at Audi and was purchased brand new with the recommended break in process. What other fixes could be done? Also, anyone willing to look into a law suit? this problem seem very common.
Originally Posted by Meekey
Hi, I’m having the same issue with my 2017 3T Q7. How did you get assistance with the repair?
Originally Posted by julie b
Having to put oil in my 2016 Audi Q7 every 500 miles now. 81k mi. $3500 repair. Not gonna do will get rid of the car. So disappointed in this known problem and lack of solution.
Originally Posted by Janisrick
I have the same issue but my dealer seems to think i would be wasting my time and money. they feel the car needs new pistons and rings. Cost over $10,000. they told me to sell the car. WTF is wrong with Audi. These are 1960's issues. what a joke! Forgot to add- i have a 2018 Q7 with 89K on it.
Originally Posted by Smiley1
Audi 1:
2017 A6 Prestige 3.0T 91,000 miles purchased November 2022
Oil indicator came on within 5 days of deliver; I added 1 qt and documented levels until low. Ran Max to Min on MMI in 277 miles. The dealership offered to buy it back; I asked them if I could contact AoA. AoA considered the claim for almost 2 weeks, but ended up denying. Dealer took boroscope to cylinders and stated “they’ve never seen anything like it… swirls on the cylinder walls”. Dealer bought back A6 with no questions asked!

Audi 2:
2019 Q7 Premium Plus 3.0T 95,000 miles purchased January 2023
Having experienced oil consumption, I immediately checked oil level at delivery (MAX). 2 days and 100 miles later, MMI showed 2/3. I contacted the dealer, and they said they would take care of the issue, and to make an appointment at their Audi store. I called and made the appointment, and they are going to do the consumption test tomorrow. Now 230 miles in, and MMI reading at 1/2, so I'm pretty sure it will not pass the upcoming consumption test. I'm hoping for the full long block replacement.
Originally Posted by SondraW
Yes, I also have the same 2017 Q7 purchased August 2016 that is using oil, like yours. Not comfortable either.
Originally Posted by nolop007
HI im just wandering hows your Q7 with the oil consumption was it fixed already? Did they change the pistons? Im having the same problem your input is greatly appreciated. Thanks
Originally Posted by Roy Keane
I did my oil change in October. I had to add a quart in Feb and now another one in May. I use the Liquid Molly from fcp euro as the oil. Should I be worried? Should I do the piston test at the dealership? How much does that cost?
Originally Posted by BoxcuTTer
I thought I'd add my two cents here. I was the second owner of my 2017 Audi Q7 3.0T. In the 18 months I've owned it, the oil consumption got worse and worse, to the point where I was putting in a quart every 400 miles. I had a compression test done and a leakdown test done and everything looked ok. The car only has 99k miles on it.

On a recent two hour drive during normal driving conditions (highway speed, not accellerating or passing) the car started to violently shake. The CEL came on. I pulled off and scanned it at an Autozone. The OBD-II showed a misfire in cylinder 5. I put in a new coilpack and spark plug in but it continued to misbehave. I took it to my mechanic. He looked it over and found that the car had blown a hole in the cylinder wall. He contaced AoA. Of course they won't help me. I have owned 8 Audis and used to defend them passionately, but they seem to be getting more and more unreliable. I will never again buy one of these things. Now I either have a parts car or I need to spend as much as it's worth to find and install another engine. To add insult to injury, I just ordered a headlight assembly to get rid of a running light error message even though there is nothing wrong with the running light.

Previously, the turbos on my 2013 S6 grenaded, partially due to the blocked oil screen recall, but Audi said because the oil pump was also failing, it didn't qualify for the recall.
Before that, the fuel injectors and valve cover gaskets went on my 2012 Q5
Before that, the rear sport diff on my 2011 S4 destroyed itself
Before that, my 2010 VW CC started smoking with only 55k miles on it.

All these cars were maintained meticulously with synthetic oil. I don't think it's just bad luck. It's an increasingly unreliable product.
​​​​​​​
Originally Posted by SKZ
I have a 2018 Q7 that I bought in January of 2018. It has 92,000 miles today. It started requiring adding more oils in the last 6months; almost every 200 miles the light came up and i had to add one quart of oil that i purchased from the Audi dealership. Recently the service dealer changed breathers and did the oil consumption test. 300 miles later the light came up again. A new assessment was made showing that I need to change the pistons or the entire engine. My family and I loved the Q7, now we are very frustrated with these news.
Thank you
​​​​​​​
Originally Posted by Audiacity3.0t
18 Q7 premium plus 3.0t 94,xxx miles currently. Consuming oil at a qt every 1,000-1,200 miles. Contacted AoA they directed me to dealer for consumption tests. They didn't deny picking up the tab for any related repairs but asked these tests to be done first then call them back. Part 2 failed, dealer quoted $18k. Any suggestions from anyone who's had them cover the repairs with high mileage 3.0t to help me plead my case to them? @SwissInTexas you mind sending me that exec email in case I get the runaround? Long block is $13k in the catalog locally, I'm assuming that's what they quoted. The estimate I got was lacking details regarding scope of work. Currently no engine codes either. Aside from consumption, no complaints on the vehicle. Only other issue I've had was a blown AC oring on the suction hose block.
Originally Posted by kelisko
I would like to thank every person who contributed to this thread. I was scratching my head and was ready to throw more money than that I already spent to purchase this "lemon" away. Thanks to this thread I realized what's going on and decided to share my experience to warn others. My 2016 A7 3.0 TFSI CREC has the same engine as your Q7. For those of you who keep using these cars with an oil drinking problem, this is what is happening to you next (video below). Get rid of it while you can. Keep leasing and moving on. Don't buy! Today's engines are not as good as they used to be. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xsk4YJwK5UU

Last edited by kelisko; 07-24-2023 at 11:17 AM.
The following users liked this post:
audiOwner200 (04-17-2024)
Old 07-24-2023, 06:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,203 Likes on 936 Posts

Dude I cannot believe you had the time to go through this and compile it all. 28 complaints out of 10s of thousands of cars sold. It is a very very small drop in a bucket.
The following 2 users liked this post by mhoran89:
AudiAllTheWay (02-12-2024), keg97 (07-24-2023)
Old 07-24-2023, 06:35 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

The 28 are just what he found on this board... I personally have had two vehicles with the 3.0 CREC engines with the issue... this is a wide-spread and major problem that Audi USA needs to acknowledge.
The following 3 users liked this post by Smiley1:
JBenDavid782 (08-03-2023), kelisko (07-25-2023), mbs (07-24-2023)
Old 07-24-2023, 12:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Smiley1
The 28 are just what he found on this board... I personally have had two vehicles with the 3.0 CREC engines with the issue... this is a wide-spread and major problem that Audi USA needs to acknowledge.
my last two 3.0T supercharged powered cars had no evidence of excessive oil consumption and one was tuned. the first tuned one had 78K and barely burned 2/3rds of a quart every 5K. my second has 41K and burns 0-1/3 of a quart every 5K miles depending on the season. I am convinced early air filter changes along with 5K OCIs are crucial to the longevity of these engines.
JBenDavid782 (08-03-2023), keg97 (07-24-2023)
Old 07-24-2023, 01:45 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree that these engines need 5k intervals; most Audi dealers recommend the 10k, and both vehicles of mine had 90k on them when I purchased. Currently, mine is receiving a new power plant courtesy of the dealer... and I will be doing the 5k oil services.
JBenDavid782 (08-03-2023)
Old 07-27-2023, 08:33 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK, I find myself surprised to be very concerned about this engine. Previously had a 2015 Q5 3.0 that maintained a full dipstick level between 10k oil changes up to 67k miles when I traded it for a 2019 Q7 Prestige 3.0. Services including oil changes on the Q7 have occurred earlier than usual because of the reduced driving during the height of the pandemic.

Suddenly around 35k miles, just 1.5k miles after a dealer oil change, the low oil level light came on, requiring adding a quart. I have closely monitored the MMI oil level indcator (give me a dipstick any day over this, thank you very much), and have needed since that time to add a full quart half a quart at a time over about 1,200 miles. Now still under 40k miles in total on this car, and the frequency of adding oil is increasing a bit. A recent 1,200 mile highway trip required adding a quart throughout.

Unfortunately, my local Audi dealer has undergone a change of ownership much to its detriment, and the formerly reliable service advisors and technicians have been replaced with some who fail to inspire confidence. A much better dealer is an inconvenient distance away, nearly at two hour drive, but I have not yet taken the car to them for a second opinion. The local dealer wasn't even sure what kind of oil to use, the new service manager had never heard of VW spec 502 or 504.

Having thought the 3.0 supercharged engine to be bulletproof based on my Q5 experience and those of others I knew with A6 and other Audis, it's disconcerting that what I consider excessive consumption has suddenly cropped up. My lack of confidence in the local dealer was already making me consider moving on, but now it seems prudent to explore a sale while the trade in value is still reasonable.

With a history of many Audis in our family over many years, this gives me pause, but because they are committed to an EV future, it's doubtful that Audi as a company is motivated to ensure customer satisfaction with the ICE models when the local dealership is also a weak link.
JBenDavid782 (08-03-2023)
Old 07-27-2023, 11:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Audi is taking a bath on the EVs and the time for the electric car is not right now, at least not mainstream. Audi is offering a $20K manufacturers rebate on all etrons sold because they are not moving. ICE or at a new minimum gas with a mild (or full blown) hybrid is not going anywhere. I work in the hydrogen fuel cell industry and we are seeing the time for fuel cells is not there yet either...
keg97 (07-27-2023), tomaszp72 (07-28-2023)
Old 08-01-2023, 05:50 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I have the April 2016 production of the Q7 3.0 Quattro, Premium Plus. At 77K, it is now burning 1 quart of oil every 200 miles! Oil is getting through the piston rings and on top of the rings, burning up in the chamber. I think this is a design flaw. Now needs replacement of pistons and rings. Others have this problem?
Old 08-01-2023, 06:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by JBQ7
I have the April 2016 production of the Q7 3.0 Quattro, Premium Plus. At 77K, it is now burning 1 quart of oil every 200 miles! Oil is getting through the piston rings and on top of the rings, burning up in the chamber. I think this is a design flaw. Now needs replacement of pistons and rings. Others have this problem?
I was burning about a quart every 5k miles with liquimoly , but have since burned nothing after switching to motul and doing a long road trip that may have freed up the rings. Build date is December 2016 and 70k miles right now.

oil change intervals have always been about 5-6k miles since new and the car is driven like a grandma. We also use the best fuel for it and keep up with proper intervals for filters, plugs etc. Perhaps this is the reason why its not consuming too much oil.

Last edited by TheBudgetBaller; 08-01-2023 at 06:55 PM.
Old 08-01-2023, 07:07 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Do oil additives work for piston rings?

Originally Posted by TheBudgetBaller
I was burning about a quart every 5k miles with liquimoly , but have since burned nothing after switching to motul and doing a long road trip that may have freed up the rings. Build date is December 2016 and 70k miles right now.

oil change intervals have always been about 5-6k miles since new and the car is driven like a grandma. We also use the best fuel for it and keep up with proper intervals for filters, plugs etc. Perhaps this is the reason why its not consuming too much oil.
That's very helpful. Who else has tried oil additives for piston rings?

Quick Reply: Audi Q7 2017 Oil Consumption. Any one else with this issue with this model and year?