Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Audi Q7 2017 Oil Consumption. Any one else with this issue with this model and year?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2023, 04:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 116 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by bg_2007Q7
If you're going to run Liqui-Moly, also get some Ceratec. Really good for the engine. Unfortunately, pretty much all the 1st and 2nd gen engines suffer from oil consumption. Except maybe for the Vr6.
Why? What does it do?
Old 10-07-2023, 05:32 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 353 Likes on 296 Posts

Originally Posted by keg97
Why? What does it do?
It is an oil additive that conditions the engine to reduce wear. Basically a ceramic coating that reduces metal on metal contact. Can be used in diesel or gasoline. The difference in the sound and smoothness of my 3.6 Vr6 was night and day, after I added that to the first oil change.

https://www.liqui-moly.com/en/us/cera-tec-p000017.html
The following users liked this post:
keg97 (10-08-2023)
Old 10-13-2023, 06:56 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I too just bought A 2018 Q7 with just over 80K on Aug. 10th. I’ve already put 3 quarts of oil in it. My research here led me to think it may be the PCV, I have a lot of vacuum at the oil fill cap. Took it to an Audi dealer to get a quote on replacing it. They said they would not quote it until they did a $300 diagnosis. They recommend a chemical oil flush, around $800. Said they would run chemical thru it then flush it again. Could this be the same as the BG flush? I gave $31k for this car and Carvana has offered me $19k for it,
Does anyone know if the flush is actually working or how to positively diagnose the PCV. Trying to decide weather to bale and take my beating or try and fix it. My wife really likes the car, but I don’t want her broke down on the road. Thanks in advance.
The following 2 users liked this post by flowsemaj:
audiOwner200 (04-17-2024), CrazyEights (10-15-2023)
Old 10-13-2023, 07:06 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 377 Likes on 341 Posts

BG flush is for sludge not to clean the rings. You need to use the Cummins Valvoline Restore product if you want help to free up the rings
keg97 (10-13-2023)
Old 10-13-2023, 07:14 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by silver_tt
BG flush is for sludge not to clean the rings. You need to use the Cummins Valvoline Restore product if you want help to free up the rings
is there a chance it will damage the engine or trigger engine light ?
Old 10-13-2023, 07:35 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 377 Likes on 341 Posts

No it won't damage your engine or trigger an engine light.

But you need to order it from a Cummins center. It's about $75/gallon. You only want to run it for a short OCI and then switch back to a high quality oil that you normally run hopefully (using cheap oil like you can buy at Walmart is a bad idea for this engine). Sometimes the consumption can actually increase during the OCI with the Restore product, however draining the oil and putting in another fill of Cummins and a new oil filter generally will get the oil consumption back inline.

I am not saying this will completely solve the issue and is the same as re-ringing your engine. But it could drastically reduce your oil consumption if you are adding a quart every 250 miles or so which it sounds like you are.
audiOwner200 (04-17-2024)
Old 10-15-2023, 05:00 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BoxcuTTer
I thought I'd add my two cents here. I was the second owner of my 2017 Audi Q7 3.0T. In the 18 months I've owned it, the oil consumption got worse and worse, to the point where I was putting in a quart every 400 miles. I had a compression test done and a leakdown test done and everything looked ok. The car only has 99k miles on it.

On a recent two hour drive during normal driving conditions (highway speed, not accellerating or passing) the car started to violently shake. The CEL came on. I pulled off and scanned it at an Autozone. The OBD-II showed a misfire in cylinder 5. I put in a new coilpack and spark plug in but it continued to misbehave. I took it to my mechanic. He looked it over and found that the car had blown a hole in the cylinder wall. He contaced AoA. Of course they won't help me. I have owned 8 Audis and used to defend them passionately, but they seem to be getting more and more unreliable. I will never again buy one of these things. Now I either have a parts car or I need to spend as much as it's worth to find and install another engine. To add insult to injury, I just ordered a headlight assembly to get rid of a running light error message even though there is nothing wrong with the running light.

Previously, the turbos on my 2013 S6 grenaded, partially due to the blocked oil screen recall, but Audi said because the oil pump was also failing, it didn't qualify for the recall.
Before that, the fuel injectors and valve cover gaskets went on my 2012 Q5
Before that, the rear sport diff on my 2011 S4 destroyed itself
Before that, my 2010 VW CC started smoking with only 55k miles on it.

All these cars were maintained meticulously with synthetic oil. I don't think it's just bad luck. It's an increasingly unreliable product.
I recently had a similar situation, and my 2017 Q7 died.... I posted a question in a new thread (I am not too familiar with online bulletin board works) about my situation, but what did you end up doing with your Q7, if you don't mind me asking? I was given an option of a tear down which is $7k, originally quoted 2K but for some reason now more than tripled, only replace a bad valve by resurfacing a cylinder head.
Old 10-15-2023, 09:04 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Well I've thrown in the towel. I took my Q7 back to the dealer I bought it from and told them I have put 3 qts. of oil in it after driving it 2500 miles. They were kind enough to give me $22K for it on trade in. Thats only a $9k loss in 2 months. Plus an Audi diagnostics for $300. I won't be driving anymore German iron. I could have got more trading it to another dealer and not mentioned the oil consumption like the person that traded to the dealer I bought it from. But I'm not built like that. I wouldn't pawn that P. O.S. on to anybody. The dealer said they would take it to an as is car auction and probably lose money. Any way I'll be leaving this Forum and joining the Hyundai Forum. And to those that have and are still drinking the cool aid. May you forever have deep pocket and triple A. I'm out.
The following 4 users liked this post by flowsemaj:
audiOwner200 (04-17-2024), CrazyEights (10-15-2023), kelisko (10-19-2023), tommyle (10-21-2023)
Old 10-18-2023, 10:57 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2018 3.0, had to add a qt every 1k miles, then this. Got it repaired and still adding oil every 1k miles. Service manager told me to dump it.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q7-...tions-3056733/
Old 10-18-2023, 11:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by flowsemaj
Well I've thrown in the towel. I took my Q7 back to the dealer I bought it from and told them I have put 3 qts. of oil in it after driving it 2500 miles. They were kind enough to give me $22K for it on trade in. Thats only a $9k loss in 2 months. Plus an Audi diagnostics for $300. I won't be driving anymore German iron. I could have got more trading it to another dealer and not mentioned the oil consumption like the person that traded to the dealer I bought it from. But I'm not built like that. I wouldn't pawn that P. O.S. on to anybody. The dealer said they would take it to an as is car auction and probably lose money. Any way I'll be leaving this Forum and joining the Hyundai Forum. And to those that have and are still drinking the cool aid. May you forever have deep pocket and triple A. I'm out.
keep a fire extinguisher handy in that Hyundai! I will keep jugs of oil in my Q7.
The following 2 users liked this post by TheBudgetBaller:
bg_2007Q7 (11-23-2023), keg97 (11-17-2023)

Quick Reply: Audi Q7 2017 Oil Consumption. Any one else with this issue with this model and year?