Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Audi Q7 2017 Oil Consumption. Any one else with this issue with this model and year?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2023, 05:39 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 2kwik4u
@petery129 I've struck out at (3) authorized Cummins Service Centers here in the Louisville, KY area. I can't find the Valvoline Premium Blue Restore anywhere. There is a Cummins owned facility on the other side of town. Going to call them tomorrow and see if they have any idea what I'm talking about. If not, then I'm back to a piston soak process to try and fix the oil burn.

Not gonna lie, with career and kids and wife, I'm running low on bandwidth to put the effort to fix it. I'm sneaking up on just trade it and move along.

Since you mentioned possibly ending up doing the piston soak I wanted to mention this,

The piston soak videos I've seen were on the 2.0 inline 4-cylinder engine. The 3.0 V-6 has the pistons slanted at an angle, you may need to use more of the solvent to cover the pistons well. Or perhaps jack the vehicle up on the left to tilt the engine to soak the left bank, and then jack the right side up to do the right bank.

Just something to consider for the V-6.

Good luck,
Old 12-17-2023, 06:34 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is there any ongoing legal action on this?

I have a 2017 Q7 SLine, and about a month ago the Audi dealership has declared the engine needs to be replaced with a new one, at a cost of $33k offering me one other option to replace it with a used engine with a 60 day warranty on it at the cost of $18k. The engine started off by burning oil around 80,000 km, went to the dealership with concerns about that only around 95k km when it started to he more apparent and of course it was already out of warranty, so they told me that it's not a big deal, keep adding 1L of oil whenever I get the light in the dash... they did an oil consumption test and determined that it was consuming 1L at every 1700km. At 133 000 km the engine started vibrating, got a few error lights pop up in the dash, brought it straight to the Audi garage after which it was determined by them (weeks later) that there is no compression on Cylinder #2... and there is nothing more to do. After having reached out all the way up to the president of Audi Canada and after months of being dismissed, I was offered a 2500$ voucher off my next purchase of an Audi vehicle...
Did anyone else succeed in obtaining a more fair settlement in this situation, with an engine that was past the 80,000 km warranty mark? They basically flat out told me several times in writing that this engine is guaranteed for 80,000 km and they are not liable for anything else after that... I'm quite speechless and stuck.... any suggestions? 🙏
Old 12-17-2023, 07:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Did they tell you why the cylinder had no compression?
Old 12-17-2023, 08:09 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gbgastowers
Did they tell you why the cylinder had no compression?
No, not at all. Only that the engine is not repairable.
Old 12-17-2023, 08:46 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 148 Likes on 128 Posts

I would want to to see bore scope pictures of the zero compression cylinder. If the valves are damaged causing zero compression then the engine can be repaired. If the cylinder wall is damaged then the engine is not repairable.

The number one cause of cylinder wall damage is a long term undetected stuck open fuel injector. To help avoid a stuck open injector, the manual says to periodically add a Direct Injection Cleaning Additive to a full tank of premium fuel. Do you happen to know if injection cleaning additive was used?

The following 2 users liked this post by AudiAllTheWay:
GlennR (12-19-2023), Simmm (12-20-2023)
Old 12-18-2023, 03:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Here was the cause of my zero compression. I suspect PCV valve failure caused it
Old 12-18-2023, 05:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 250 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by GlennR
Since you mentioned possibly ending up doing the piston soak I wanted to mention this,

The piston soak videos I've seen were on the 2.0 inline 4-cylinder engine. The 3.0 V-6 has the pistons slanted at an angle, you may need to use more of the solvent to cover the pistons well. Or perhaps jack the vehicle up on the left to tilt the engine to soak the left bank, and then jack the right side up to do the right bank.

Just something to consider for the V-6.

Good luck,
I had considered the angled pistons and the fill amount required to get to the "top" of the rings. On a few cylinders it won't be possible to get enough in the cylinder to completely cover the rings. It will have to be done when they are at the bottom of the stroke, and even then, it's WAY more fill than I prefer, considering the nature of the soaking fluid. This is actually the primary reason I was hoping to run the Valvoline Restore system, as it wouldn't have such a limitation.

I just took a new job in NY, so I'll be flying up/back to IN once a week until June or so when the whole family moves up. Not certain I have the bandwidth to jump through these hoops to solve the problem. We'll see what shakes out.
Old 12-18-2023, 01:07 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by gbgastowers
Here was the cause of my zero compression. I suspect PCV valve failure caused it

I was looking at that earlier with interest.

Is the ECU stock or tuned?

Did the valve material fracture or disintegrate? Is the seat damaged? It almost looked like there were remnants on the seat but could simply be dirt too.

If the valve fractured then the missing piece is likely resting up against the cat and may cause rattles.
Old 12-18-2023, 01:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 377 Likes on 341 Posts

That is a burned valve.... it is not fractured.
The following users liked this post:
gbgastowers (12-18-2023)
Old 12-18-2023, 01:56 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Thanks for confirming as I suspected same.

Quick Reply: Audi Q7 2017 Oil Consumption. Any one else with this issue with this model and year?