Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Audi Q7 2017 Oil Consumption. Any one else with this issue with this model and year?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2024, 08:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by silver_tt
I recommended the Cummins Valvoline Restore product many months ago in this thread but surprisingly no one tried it. This method would be way easier and better than a piston soak. I picked some up and will run it for my next OCI and post the results.
Interesting. I did some reading, and seems like some of the experiences are positive. However, this product doesn't seem to come in 5W-40.....would it have the VW 502/505 certifications?
Old 05-24-2024, 08:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 377 Likes on 341 Posts

Originally Posted by ncnmra
Interesting. I did some reading, and seems like some of the experiences are positive. However, this product doesn't seem to come in 5W-40.....would it have the VW 502/505 certifications?
I got the idea from Charles Navarro and Lake Speed Jr. Charles told me it worked great on the 911s they used it on to clean the rings (I also have a 911 Turbo) so there's no reason it shouldn't work for my Audi but let's see. It only comes in a 10W-30 which is fine because I only plan to run this for 3K miles and in the hot months of the summer. It does not have VW 502 certification but this is not a problem -- but this is not an oil to run for a long OCI with and I will change my oil filter at least once mid-OCI. When the 3K OCI is finished I will go back to Driven DI40 which is also not VW 502.00 (but is a metallocene PAO and better than any of them by far). I will definitely post the full results in a few months once the OCI is complete and I have the conclusion.
The following 4 users liked this post by silver_tt:
AudiAllTheWay (05-24-2024), GlennR (05-24-2024), keg97 (05-24-2024), ncnmra (05-24-2024)
Old 05-24-2024, 09:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Weaktor
How about the PCV? Would the fuel additive help clean that up?
PCV has a diaphragm that fails I think
Old 05-24-2024, 09:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

The PCV is effectively an air oil separation (AOS) device. It also has a diaphragm used to throttle down your crankcase vacuum from the intake where it is very high. It can tear or otherwise become compromised.
Old 05-24-2024, 09:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

I got the idea from Charles Navarro and Lake Speed Jr. Charles told me it worked great on the 911s they used it on to clean the rings (I also have a 911 Turbo) so there's no reason it shouldn't work for my Audi but let's see. It only comes in a 10W-30 which is fine because I only plan to run this for 3K miles and in the hot months of the summer. It does not have VW 502 certification but this is not a problem -- but this is not an oil to run for a long OCI with and I will change my oil filter at least once mid-OCI. When the 3K OCI is finished I will go back to Driven DI40 which is also not VW 502.00 (but is a metallocene PAO and better than any of them by far). I will definitely post the full results in a few months once the OCI is complete and I have the conclusion.
The documentation for the product suggests that it would need to be used for 4 OCIs to obtain their "100% clean" claim. They list 0W-20, 5W-20 and 5W-30, so I would say that if you ran the 5W-30, you should do it in the cooler months, no?
Old 05-24-2024, 10:15 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I am not sure what the documentation is but it only comes in a 10W-30 to the best of my knowledge. Running a 10W in the winter is probably OK for most of us if it's not super cold (below 0 F), but for the folks in Canada and other places where it really gets cold you would need to be careful. This is really an issue with cold starts, etc. The Driven DI40 I run is a 0W-40 but they recently changed it to 5W-40, which is fine (it was almost a 5W to start with).

The documentation is probably referring to the Cummins diesel engines it was design to fix but you can also run this in gasoline direct injected engines like our Audis. Once I finish my first OCI I can re-assess. If it works, possibly this is the type of oil you would want to run in this engine once every few OCIs or if/when your oil consumption increases.
Old 05-24-2024, 11:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

I am not sure what the documentation is but it only comes in a 10W-30 to the best of my knowledge. Running a 10W in the winter is probably OK for most of us if it's not super cold (below 0 F), but for the folks in Canada and other places where it really gets cold you would need to be careful. This is really an issue with cold starts, etc. The Driven DI40 I run is a 0W-40 but they recently changed it to 5W-40, which is fine (it was almost a 5W to start with).

The documentation is probably referring to the Cummins diesel engines it was design to fix but you can also run this in gasoline direct injected engines like our Audis. Once I finish my first OCI I can re-assess. If it works, possibly this is the type of oil you would want to run in this engine once every few OCIs or if/when your oil consumption increases.
I was referring to their website:
https://www.valvolineglobal.com/en/restore-and-protect/

Quoting: "UP TO 100% PISTON DEPOSIT REMOVAL WHEN USED AS DIRECTED FOR FOUR OR MORE CONSECUTIVE OIL CHANGES AT STANDARD MAINTENANCE INTERVALS. BASED ON ADAPTED SEQUENCE IIIH TESTING."

From their FAQ:
What grades is Restore & Protect available in?
SAE 0W-20, SAE 5W-20, and SAE 5W-30
Old 05-24-2024, 11:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Hmmm....I think we're talking about two different things. The "Restore & Protect" appears to be a new product, and possibly an offshoot of their "Premium Blue Restore Gen 2":
https://partner.valvolineglobal.com/..._sheet%201.pdf
Old 05-24-2024, 11:42 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by ncnmra
Hmmm....I think we're talking about two different things. The "Restore & Protect" appears to be a new product, and possibly an offshoot of their "Premium Blue Restore Gen 2":
https://partner.valvolineglobal.com/..._sheet%201.pdf
Correct the "Restore and Protect" is a completely different product and not what you want. The product I am talking about you can only buy at a Cummins center like the one I went to locally. To the best of my knowledge you cannot get it any other way.

There has been a lot of confusion about this among people, you are definitely not the only one. Funny enough I talked to Lake Speed Jr this morning and his next video will be on this exact topic probably for this exact reason.
Old 05-24-2024, 11:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Correct the "Restore and Protect" is a completely different product and not what you want. The product I am talking about you can only buy at a Cummins center like the one I went to locally. To the best of my knowledge you cannot get it any other way.

There has been a lot of confusion about this among people, you are definitely not the only one. Funny enough I talked to Lake Speed Jr this morning and his next video will be on this exact topic probably for this exact reason.
It sounds like their "Restore and Protect" is likely a less concentrated version of the Blue Restore, given the difference in OCI recommendations ("at least 4" vs "only one"). I'm also curious if this would do anything for exhaust valve deposits.

Quick Reply: Audi Q7 2017 Oil Consumption. Any one else with this issue with this model and year?