Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Audi Q7 2017 Oil Consumption. Any one else with this issue with this model and year?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2024, 04:40 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ripping08
Had the same issue with our 2017 Audi Q7 and now the engine is close to blowing, and we've been told our only option is to replace it. A cylinder is misfiring and Audi is telling us the compression is low on one cylinder causing the need for an entire replacement. They don't know how long it will last. It's crazy. We've only had the car 4 years, purchasing in 2020, with only one other owner who also kept all of their service appointments like us. The oil consumption issues only started in the last year and every time we took it in we were just told everything was fine and the consumption issues happen sometimes with weather. We're so upset as we were only 2 years away from wrapping up payments and weren't expecting a faulty engine from a luxury German brand like Audi. I would say force your service center to address it. Look up the possible issues that have been mentioned in the forums. Make sure your fuel injection system stays clear, there are some other possible causes too that I've seen in the forums that you can catch ahead of time so you don't end up in a situation like us. Or just get rid of it as soon as you can. This is the worst experience I've had with any vehicle. I am very disappointed in Audi.
Man sorry to hear this. How many miles on the Q7 and what is the consumption? Would you consider doing a piston soak and seeing if that saves the day? Its worth a shot and sounds like you have nothing to lose. So many people are reporting having success doing the procedure. I just did it to my Q7 last week. It wasn't an easy process, but pretty straight forward.
Old 05-29-2024, 04:17 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Guys, what is your min, max and avg compression?
I have results between 10-11.5 (bar)
Just started the cylinders cleaning... Looks promising 👌
Old 05-29-2024, 06:12 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 2017 Q7 and a 2018 Q7, both new purchases within the last 2 years with 60-70k on the clock. Also have a 2007 A6 Avant with 175k. Both Q7's are consuming oil around the L/2500 rate. I replaced the PCV on the 2018 when it suddenly started burning oil at a L/1000 rate 15000 miles and about a year ago. That bumped the consumption rate up to about L/3500 initially. I have the details in a spreadsheet on my other computer that I can post later on. Just ordered an articulating endoscope and a bunch of B12 and plan to examine the pistons/valves and do a piston soak as preventative maintenance on all 3, starting with the A6 as a test case. Started using LiquiMoly MolyGen oil shortly after I purchased the first Q7 and I try to keep the OCI at around 5k. I did a LiquiMoly engine flush on all 3 - didn't seem to help the oil consumption.

The A6 is burning oil at L/900 miles - also waiting on a new PCV (to replace the one i put in 37k miles ago after lots of blue smoke at startup) to install. Just did the upper timing chain tensioners and a bunch of gaskets (including cam girdle) thinking i have a bad oil leak. Oil leaks are gone, except for a rear main seal. Shout out to Kelisko - I watched quite a few of your videos while fixing this car and the Q7s. Still burning oil at a high rate - so now trying the piston soak.
The following users liked this post:
GlennR (05-29-2024)
Old 05-29-2024, 06:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I’ve done cleaner oil and engine flushes with mine and it didn’t do a thing but wasted money and time. The real snake oil.
Piston soak at least a day is the only way to fix it. As i have said in my other post, if your valves is still intact, there is still chance the soak will cure it.
Once the oil rings is stuck , oil will work its way up to the 2 compression rings and since there is no oil control ring to stop the oil, your compression rings will coke/stuck too just like it did with the oil rings. Hence the low or no compression when testing.
Mine used to burn at 1qt /800-1000 miles. Im at a little over 2k miles since the soak now and its showing over 3/4 full with engine idling, max full when engine is off. Thats a damn good improvement to me. Not only that, engine is running smoother than ever(compression somewhat restored?). I will do a second soak in a month or so.
If you can change spark plug and oil changes, this job is super simple. Just soaking downtime.
GlennR (05-31-2024)
Old 06-02-2024, 08:46 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ripping08
Had the same issue with our 2017 Audi Q7 and now the engine is close to blowing, and we've been told our only option is to replace it. A cylinder is misfiring and Audi is telling us the compression is low on one cylinder causing the need for an entire replacement. They don't know how long it will last. It's crazy. We've only had the car 4 years, purchasing in 2020, with only one other owner who also kept all of their service appointments like us. The oil consumption issues only started in the last year and every time we took it in we were just told everything was fine and the consumption issues happen sometimes with weather. We're so upset as we were only 2 years away from wrapping up payments and weren't expecting a faulty engine from a luxury German brand like Audi. I would say force your service center to address it. Look up the possible issues that have been mentioned in the forums. Make sure your fuel injection system stays clear, there are some other possible causes too that I've seen in the forums that you can catch ahead of time so you don't end up in a situation like us. Or just get rid of it as soon as you can. This is the worst experience I've had with any vehicle. I am very disappointed in Audi.
We sound like twins with our cars - I also have the 2017 Q7, bought in 2020, with one previous owner who also maintained it as I have. Hopefully my engine isn't close to blowing, but I do have a hefty repair bill because of a water pump leak, motor shutter repair (with the Drive System Malfunction warning), and a windshield that cracked out of nowhere. (Also AC problems, with a leaking evaporator core, but by some miracle the dealer told me that was covered by some warranty.)

I found this thread because I too have had the oil consumption problem, which started pretty much right away (38K miles when I bought it, now at 85K). I haven't kept records on it, but will be doing so going forward. All I know is that i've had WAY more problems with this car than I ever did with my Honda CR-V, which I had for 15 years and was still going strong. The only reason I decided to get a new (used) car was because I was worried that because of its age, it might leave me stuck somewhere out in the boondocks where I like to adventure to. Ha! I worry a lot more about my Audi doing that.
ripping08 (06-13-2024)
Old 06-03-2024, 02:27 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 148 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Miss Curmudgeonly
Hopefully my engine isn't close to blowing,

All I know is that i've had WAY more problems with this car than I ever did with my Honda CR-V,

Ha! I worry a lot more about my Audi doing that.
You bought the wrong car so sell it or crush it before it blows up and alters the earths rotational spin.
Old 06-03-2024, 05:52 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

2018 Q7 100,000 KMS here. Was burning 1L oil every 1500-2000 KMS. Dealer replaced pistons and rings under warranty and all good now.
Old 06-03-2024, 06:00 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Have you tried using liqui moly molegen oil. Heard good things about it.
Old 06-03-2024, 06:10 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 148 Likes on 128 Posts

Out of the entire Internet, it is absolutely amazing how this thread is endlessly discovered and plugged up by dozens of BS zero proof long story new whiner accounts. Statistically impossible yet here we are. I wonder why?

All the new whiner accounts should start their own thread “I am Here To Make Stuff Up While Endlessly Whining About Audi” instead of making a mess of an existing thread where a handful of knowledgeable folks are trying to help others who actually want help.
Old 06-03-2024, 07:55 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by AudiAllTheWay
Out of the entire Internet, it is absolutely amazing how this thread is endlessly discovered and plugged up by dozens of BS zero proof long story new whiner accounts. Statistically impossible yet here we are. I wonder why?

All the new whiner accounts should start their own thread “I am Here To Make Stuff Up While Endlessly Whining About Audi” instead of making a mess of an existing thread where a handful of knowledgeable folks are trying to help others who actually want help.
Wait, on the one hand you complain that "Think of all the cars that Audi has sold and how few people post here about their problems! Clearly Audis are perfect and no one ever has issues and everyone is a liar." But now you're complaining about "so many whiny people who find this thread to talk about problems with their Audis!" So which is it?

And in case you didn't notice, this entire thread is titled "Audi Q7 2017 Oil Consumption: ANYONE ELSE WITH THIS ISSUE...?" What are YOU doing in this thread if you do not in fact have this problem?
gbgastowers (06-03-2024)

Quick Reply: Audi Q7 2017 Oil Consumption. Any one else with this issue with this model and year?