Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Audi Q7 2017 Oil Consumption. Any one else with this issue with this model and year?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2024, 12:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 401 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by Bradyrooster
Hi AudiWorld,

Just a quick question on the Audi Crankcase Breather hose. I just changed my PCV and new breather hose. Does the short hose just stay disconnected to vent/purge or does it have to connect into the cold air intake next to the throttle body? Noticed the New Breather Hose vent line is short and doesn't reach the cold air intake port. Is there a workaround for this? The electrical connection to the Breather hose doesn't give any play in order to be stretched to the cold air intake. If it does have to connect to the cold air intake is there a way to extend the line?
I suggest you create another thread for this but here is a quick answer for you. That hose is short but should fit if routed well. The key is to hook the valve onto a bracket at the back of the supercharger. If you are referring to the breather line shown in my first video below, check out the routing process in my second video below assuming you did not choke the hose while installing the supercharger.

Old 06-13-2024, 08:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by cW6mT mKviGLi
you are correct. I have the Endoscope on the floor with me while I'm cranking beneath the vehicle.
It it not possible to turn the crank by using the waterpump or the belt itself?
Old 06-13-2024, 09:58 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ncnmra
It it not possible to turn the crank by using the waterpump or the belt itself?
You probably can, but I didn't want to potentially overtorque the water pump pulley or use the belt. The crank tool was about $18 from Amazon and required me dropping the belly pan, plus I had the endoscope already.

I figured the cost of that isn't too bad versus damaging another accessory driven component.
Old 06-13-2024, 12:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

You probably can, but I didn't want to potentially overtorque the water pump pulley or use the belt. The crank tool was about $18 from Amazon and required me dropping the belly pan, plus I had the endoscope already.

I figured the cost of that isn't too bad versus damaging another accessory driven component.
Yeah for sure. I bought the tool already in anticipation, but the added work to jack the vehicle/remove the belly pan/be under it to turn the crank while not seeing what's going on just sort of put me off. Does it take a good amount of force to turn the engine with the plugs out? I presume you left the belt on while doing it? It's just a shame that it can't be easily done from up top.
Old 06-13-2024, 02:14 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ncnmra
Yeah for sure. I bought the tool already in anticipation, but the added work to jack the vehicle/remove the belly pan/be under it to turn the crank while not seeing what's going on just sort of put me off. Does it take a good amount of force to turn the engine with the plugs out? I presume you left the belt on while doing it? It's just a shame that it can't be easily done from up top.
So far I have soaked all 6 cylinders for about 8 to 12 hours each. Rotating the crank has been easy so far and has gone without issue.

FYI, my Q doesn't have air suspension and has standard suspension without the lift feature. I was able to get the belly pan off and I'm able to use my 1/2" swivel ratchet on the crank without lifting the vehicle. And I'll state that I'm 6'1 and about 300lbs, so I'm not slim. Lol. The hardest thing for you I think would be to visualize when the pistons are at TDC (if aiming for this) especially if you are underneath and don't have a boroscope/endoscope.

Starting the 2nd round of soaking now to hopefully finish by Saturday.

Last edited by cW6mT mKviGLi; 06-13-2024 at 06:07 PM.
The following users liked this post:
ncnmra (06-14-2024)
Old 06-13-2024, 07:47 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Class action for piston issues

There has been a class action lawsuit for 2017 Audi with faulty pistons causing consumption issues but Q7 weren’t included. We may need to start one. https://topclassactions.com/lawsuit-...ack%20of%20oil.

Originally Posted by meyergsr
In my opinion it makes no difference if you change the oil at 5k or 10k.
I purchased my 2017 with 36k and did 5k changes like clock work and still have high oil consumption at 78k. One quart per 800 miles. Dealer diagnosed with defective piston rings.
If you follow this thread. The trend with these vehicles, the majority start having high oil consumption around 80k miles. There is nothing you did wrong or can prevent it from happening. The rings are a low tension design used for higher performance and better fuel economy at the expense of longevity.
Old 06-13-2024, 07:55 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by gbgastowers
The new piston rings (mostly oil ring) used in todays engines are designed to increase engine efficiency. These rings are also contributing to the oil consumption and carbon buildup problems we are experiencing
Yes they know it, they just settled a class action lawsuit for 2017 Audi this year but Q7s weren’t included.
Old 06-13-2024, 07:59 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I have been doing research and just found this class action lawsuit settled just this April/May 2024 for 2017 Audi with faulty pistons causing oil consumption issues and engine failures but the Q7 models aren’t included.

Originally Posted by Miss Curmudgeonly
We sound like twins with our cars - I also have the 2017 Q7, bought in 2020, with one previous owner who also maintained it as I have. Hopefully my engine isn't close to blowing, but I do have a hefty repair bill because of a water pump leak, motor shutter repair (with the Drive System Malfunction warning), and a windshield that cracked out of nowhere. (Also AC problems, with a leaking evaporator core, but by some miracle the dealer told me that was covered by some warranty.)

I found this thread because I too have had the oil consumption problem, which started pretty much right away (38K miles when I bought it, now at 85K). I haven't kept records on it, but will be doing so going forward. All I know is that i've had WAY more problems with this car than I ever did with my Honda CR-V, which I had for 15 years and was still going strong. The only reason I decided to get a new (used) car was because I was worried that because of its age, it might leave me stuck somewhere out in the boondocks where I like to adventure to. Ha! I worry a lot more about my Audi doing that.
Old 06-13-2024, 08:10 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 148 Likes on 128 Posts

So far I have soaked all 6 cylinders for about 8 to 12 hours each. Rotating the crank has been easy so far and has gone without issue.

Starting the 2nd round of soaking now to hopefully finish by Saturday.
Looking forward to actual results from good folks like yourself 👍
The following users liked this post:
ncnmra (06-14-2024)
Old 06-13-2024, 11:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 401 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by ripping08
There has been a class action lawsuit for 2017 Audi with faulty pistons causing consumption issues but Q7 weren’t included. We may need to start one. https://topclassactions.com/lawsuit-...ack%20of%20oil.
That class action lawsuit is for the 2.0T four-cylinder engine. There's none for the 3.0T CREC six-cylinder engine so far as far as I know. The issues with this 3.0T CREC are starting to be reported as the engines are reaching higher mileages now. They are mostly Q7s because it's the most popular vehicle but the A6, A7, A8, S4, S5 and SQ5 with the same engine are also affected. Hopefully a class action lawsuit will be filed for this crappy engine soon so that people who are affected can receive compensation or get their cars fixed.

Quick Reply: Audi Q7 2017 Oil Consumption. Any one else with this issue with this model and year?