Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Audi Q7 2017 Oil Consumption. Any one else with this issue with this model and year?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2024, 01:26 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 148 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by kelisko
Hopefully a class action lawsuit will be filed for this crappy engine soon so that people who are affected can receive compensation or get their cars fixed.
What are you waiting for? Go ahead and file one. It will take less energy and be more productive than all the endless whining.
The following users liked this post:
keg97 (06-14-2024)
Old 06-14-2024, 03:25 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 250 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by cW6mT mKviGLi
So far I have soaked all 6 cylinders for about 8 to 12 hours each. Rotating the crank has been easy so far and has gone without issue.

FYI, my Q doesn't have air suspension and has standard suspension without the lift feature. I was able to get the belly pan off and I'm able to use my 1/2" swivel ratchet on the crank without lifting the vehicle. And I'll state that I'm 6'1 and about 300lbs, so I'm not slim. Lol. The hardest thing for you I think would be to visualize when the pistons are at TDC (if aiming for this) especially if you are underneath and don't have a boroscope/endoscope.

Starting the 2nd round of soaking now to hopefully finish by Saturday.
Are you soaking them all at once, or are you using the "soak 2 at a time at TDC" process that was outlined in the video awhile back? Not judging, just curious,

I can't find the time to get mine done before we leave for FL in 7 days. I'm gonna roll the dice and do the road trip, pulling the boat, with the car in the state it's in. Just over 121k miles now. Will be a shade over 2,500 miles of towing over ~9days time.
Old 06-14-2024, 03:38 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 2kwik4u
Are you soaking them all at once, or are you using the "soak 2 at a time at TDC" process that was outlined in the video awhile back? Not judging, just curious,

I can't find the time to get mine done before we leave for FL in 7 days. I'm gonna roll the dice and do the road trip, pulling the boat, with the car in the state it's in. Just over 121k miles now. Will be a shade over 2,500 miles of towing over ~9days time.
The sequence of ops for me has been 2 at a time with two cylinders at TDC, then about 10 to 15 crank rotations, and doing two more.

I also had the challenge of time since the Q7 is used more than any vehicle in the household and there has just been alot happening in life lately. It has been quite interesting doing errands and having the family drive around in my wife's S3. My wife said within the first half hour that "I miss the Q7", lol.

Good luck and I hope that your FL trip goes well and without any unplanned vehicle related hiccups.
The following 2 users liked this post by cW6mT mKviGLi:
2kwik4u (06-14-2024), keg97 (06-14-2024)
Old 06-14-2024, 04:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 401 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by AudiAllTheWay
What are you waiting for? Go ahead and file one. It will take less energy and be more productive than all the endless whining.
Here we go again. Well, come make me. I'm sure I've been more helpful around here than you ever going to be with your 40-year supposed car experience not including this engine you don't own and know nothing about. Yeah, praise to Audi for making such a "great" engine which is why there is such a lengthy thread where dozens and dozens of people are reporting how their great engine is doing great! Audi is the best! Audi all the way... Yay!
The following users liked this post:
GlennR (06-14-2024)
Old 06-14-2024, 10:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 148 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by kelisko
Here we go again. Well, come make me. I'm sure I've been more helpful around here than you ever going to be…
Again can you PLEASE take all your endless whining to another post and leave the adults to use this post in order to help those who actually want help.

Thanks
Old 06-14-2024, 10:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm also curious on the Valvoline Restore and/or Restore & Protect options. @silver_tt : did you try this yet?
Old 06-14-2024, 11:19 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ncnmra
I'm also curious on the Valvoline Restore and/or Restore & Protect options. @silver_tt : did you try this yet?
I was actually researching this motor oil, yesterday. I was unable to find a version with the 5w40 weight specification.
Old 06-14-2024, 11:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by cW6mT mKviGLi
I was actually researching this motor oil, yesterday. I was unable to find a version with the 5w40 weight specification.
There isn't one. If you look back through this thread there was some good discussion. At first I thought it was more snake oil, but there's a great video from "The Motor Oil Geek" (also linked in this thread) that goes into some details and seems to show verifiable results. There is a bunch of talk online of the products and I haven't found anything negative, which I actually found surprising.

TL;DR:
Valvoline Premium Blue Restore Gen2 only comes in a 10W30, and is formulated for / only available through Cummins dealers. It is very aggressive, but apparently works extremely well with only one oil change. I believe it was designed for the Cummins diesel engines and intended only to be used by qualified mechanics to prevent it "working too well" and clogging up filters etc. @silver_tt said he was going to try on his 2.0T.

Valvoline "Restore & Protect" is a newer product line that comes in various weights, but not 5W40 (only 5W30). It is a different formulation but claims to "clean up to 100%" within four oil changes

I haven't dug too deep but I can't find either of these in Canada. I suspect you could get away with the 5W30 in colder temperatures, but I'm not sure if I want to be the guinnea pig, especially since my consumption is very low ATM (about 500mL / 6000kms).
Old 06-14-2024, 11:51 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 250 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by ncnmra
There isn't one. If you look back through this thread there was some good discussion. At first I thought it was more snake oil, but there's a great video from "The Motor Oil Geek" (also linked in this thread) that goes into some details and seems to show verifiable results. There is a bunch of talk online of the products and I haven't found anything negative, which I actually found surprising.

TL;DR:
Valvoline Premium Blue Restore Gen2 only comes in a 10W30, and is formulated for / only available through Cummins dealers. It is very aggressive, but apparently works extremely well with only one oil change. I believe it was designed for the Cummins diesel engines and intended only to be used by qualified mechanics to prevent it "working too well" and clogging up filters etc. @silver_tt said he was going to try on his 2.0T..
This is potentially a great solution. it's the least "invasive" and easiest to implement.

I might go this route when I get home from FL. I'm so damn strapped of time I'm not sure I'll ever get the soak procedure done. I can run an oil change and a couple filters without much impact.

Actually had some found and reserved for me at the beginning of the year at the Louisville, KY Cummins Service Center. If anyone is in that area I would suspect they still have it on the shelf, as I never made it back to purchase it.
Old 06-14-2024, 02:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by 2kwik4u
This is potentially a great solution. it's the least "invasive" and easiest to implement.

I might go this route when I get home from FL. I'm so damn strapped of time I'm not sure I'll ever get the soak procedure done. I can run an oil change and a couple filters without much impact.

Actually had some found and reserved for me at the beginning of the year at the Louisville, KY Cummins Service Center. If anyone is in that area I would suspect they still have it on the shelf, as I never made it back to purchase it.

Is this the same stuff on Amazon?

Quick Reply: Audi Q7 2017 Oil Consumption. Any one else with this issue with this model and year?