Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Auto Hold (Auto Brake) Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2017, 10:23 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Auto Hold (Auto Brake) Question

Just curious, during test drive the SA insisted that I press the gas too much that's why it wasn't rolling, but no matter what we did, we couldn't make the Q7 move forward.

Is it supposed to be enabled somewhere (it was right of the truck). Do you pull th ((P)) brake every time you want it to auto hold? Is there a reason why Audi didn't put the dedicated auto hold button like BMW has? This will be extremely difficult to get used to because I drive on stop and go traffic a lot, and with long red lights, and lack of auto hold will be big downside.
Old 09-06-2017, 12:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hayde_bre
Just curious, during test drive the SA insisted that I press the gas too much that's why it wasn't rolling, but no matter what we did, we couldn't make the Q7 move forward.

Is it supposed to be enabled somewhere (it was right of the truck). Do you pull th ((P)) brake every time you want it to auto hold? Is there a reason why Audi didn't put the dedicated auto hold button like BMW has? This will be extremely difficult to get used to because I drive on stop and go traffic a lot, and with long red lights, and lack of auto hold will be big downside.
Parking brake ((P)) is not intended for this purpose (allowing to lift your foot off the brake at a red light). This is for parking only.
There should be another button next to it ((A)) that allows you to do what you want.
From what I've read it looks like this option may not be available in the US. I'm about to get myself a new Q7 aswell and the demo cars I drove all had this function but I live in Europe.
Attached Thumbnails Auto Hold (Auto Brake) Question-audi-q7-4m-hill-hold-auto-hold-berganfahrassistent-kabelsatz1.png  
Old 09-06-2017, 02:27 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Never heard of this feature but my car will auto hold when using adaptive cruise control as long as another car is in front of me.
Old 09-06-2017, 03:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use the parking brake all the time at lights. I don't know if there is a downside to this. I would like auto hold like Hyundai and others have.
Old 09-06-2017, 03:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts

The US and Canada cars do not have the auto hold button next to the parking brake switch like the picture above shows. For the life of me, I cannot understand why it was left off the US and Canada cars since they already have the system developed for other markets and I see no legal reasons in the US since there are a lot of other car manufactures who offer it in the US and Canada.

However, with that said, I have found on my car if I am stopped at a long light I can set the adaptive cruise control (even if no one is in front of me at the light) and the car will auto brake hold until I tap on gas or hit the resume button on the cruise control. You have to already be stopped when you set it and the car will stay put until you either hit resume, hit cancel on the cruise control, or tap on the gas pedal.
Old 09-06-2017, 05:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Ugh, that confirms my fear.
No, the 2nd button wasn't there, the sales insisted that the auto hold will work but it didn't. I told him there is supposed to be another button, he said no, this one will hold automatically once you engage parking brake, and will roll when you lightly tap on the gas. If we have to apply parking brake every time we stop, I don't see the convenience in that. I believe Mercedes has this function where it will activate if you press the brake all the way down, I thought maybe Q7 has that, but no. Most other luxury vehicles in this class has this, and like @GaryK4 mentioned, Hyundai, Kia, Toyota they all have it too.
Old 09-06-2017, 05:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Tesla has an option for holding or creeping.
Old 09-06-2017, 05:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by hayde_bre
Ugh, that confirms my fear.
No, the 2nd button wasn't there, the sales insisted that the auto hold will work but it didn't. I told him there is supposed to be another button, he said no, this one will hold automatically once you engage parking brake, and will roll when you lightly tap on the gas. If we have to apply parking brake every time we stop, I don't see the convenience in that. I believe Mercedes has this function where it will activate if you press the brake all the way down, I thought maybe Q7 has that, but no. Most other luxury vehicles in this class has this, and like @GaryK4 mentioned, Hyundai, Kia, Toyota they all have it too.
I have auto hold in my BMW as well, and while a neat feature, its changes the way you traditionally drive (especially if you switch between cars). I never really use it, but it is nice to have

But yes, the US Q7 does not have this feature. And while the SA is trying to make you feel good, the P brake is not meant to be used at red lights while you are in D. Its meant to be used when you park. But yes, to disengage the Parking brake you do not need to release the button, just step on the gas and drive away.

There are many neat features that are available in all luxury cars, that Audi has kept away from the Q7 and its very annoying...auto hold, 21st century head lights, parallel parking.....
Old 09-06-2017, 05:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 102 Likes on 68 Posts

No 'auto hold' button in US vehicles period.
Yes Mercedes did have auto hold activated by swift push of the break pedal.
Yes you can use the parking brake to achieve the same thing - as long as you don't try to move the gear lever you should be able to just press the gas pedal and go (parking brake will disengage automatically)
Not very convenient, but you can get used to it. After over a decade in the MB, I do miss this feature, but already gotten used to pulling the P button - my hand usually rests there anyway.
BTW, not sure if different components are used for parking vs auto brake on ROW models. In case of MB, it was the same thing (parking or auto).
Old 09-06-2017, 06:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by gsobol
No 'auto hold' button in US vehicles period.
Yes Mercedes did have auto hold activated by swift push of the break pedal.
Yes you can use the parking brake to achieve the same thing - as long as you don't try to move the gear lever you should be able to just press the gas pedal and go (parking brake will disengage automatically)
Not very convenient, but you can get used to it. After over a decade in the MB, I do miss this feature, but already gotten used to pulling the P button - my hand usually rests there anyway.
BTW, not sure if different components are used for parking vs auto brake on ROW models. In case of MB, it was the same thing (parking or auto).
So you come to a light, with the Trans in D you activate the Parking brake?

Quick Reply: Auto Hold (Auto Brake) Question