Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Auto Hold (Auto Brake) Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2017, 06:26 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Maybe I would get used to that feature and start to enjoy it, but I have not noticed being unhappy keeping my foot on the brake.

And adaptive cruise control does this most of the time, if you have ACC, which I realize is an expensive feature.
Old 09-06-2017, 06:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's a nice to have feature. I use it all the time on my X5. Previous gen X5 also had it. I don't understand why Audi goes out of their way to exclude simple features like this from US models.
Old 09-06-2017, 06:33 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

When something doesn't make sense, it is probably a govt regulation.
Old 09-06-2017, 06:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 102 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by BigKutta
So you come to a light, with the Trans in D you activate the Parking brake?
Yes. On MB vehicles it was the same electro-mechanical brake that was being engaged, so there really was no difference from the mechanical stand point if you engaged 'auto hold' or 'parking brake'. The drive off was the same, 'auto hold' would disengage when you pressed the gas and so would 'parking brake'. I think it works the same in the Q.

I'm still playing around with the ACC. I guess I'm just old school (or just old), and still try to have some semblance of control when driving (or standing in this case) :-)
Old 09-06-2017, 06:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rsilvers129
Yes sometimes. Not in this and many other cases. Auto Hold is available on BMWs in US for many years now.
Some other options that are available for Q7 in Germany but not in US that I would love to get:
- Sport Contour Steering Wheel
- S-Line seats with diamond pattern

I am pretty confident that above 2 options have nothing to do with gov regulations.
Old 09-06-2017, 06:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by gsobol
Yes. On MB vehicles it was the same electro-mechanical brake that was being engaged, so there really was no difference from the mechanical stand point if you engaged 'auto hold' or 'parking brake'. The drive off was the same, 'auto hold' would disengage when you pressed the gas and so would 'parking brake'. I think it works the same in the Q.

I'm still playing around with the ACC. I guess I'm just old school (or just old), and still try to have some semblance of control when driving (or standing in this case) :-)
Makes sense.

I'm not that old but I love to drive, so for me all these little things like ACC and suto hold are nice to haves but not daily use for me
Old 09-07-2017, 05:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GaryK4
I use the parking brake all the time at lights. I don't know if there is a downside to this. I would like auto hold like Hyundai and others have.
The down side is your brake lights are not illuminated.
Old 09-07-2017, 06:01 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by rsilvers129
Odd when other German vehicles have it. I believe even Atlas has this. I test drove several cars, so I am sorry if I am mixing things up.

Originally Posted by Jim Jistel
This is true, it's not as safe as using auto hold. To help others understand, the regular Auto Hold is not a parking brake, it actually applies brakes, and brake lamps illuminate.

When I first got my X5 back in 2011, I was really worried that I would get too attached to auto hold because it was just so darn convenient. I didn't want to use it because I thought I might go with a different car later, and I would let go of brake inadvertently assuming car will hold.. Eventually I got another X5 3 yrs later, and I kept using the auto hold. It's actually very relaxing when you are at red light that you know will take a long time, or when you are waiting to make a turn and you don't want that split second to delay your turn, or let's face it, flooring it when the light turns green, leaving everyone else in dust with X5. So 6 years later, I felt really comfortable and happy that almost every car I test drove had the auto hold, and then I realized Q7 did not! Believe it or not, this is not a minor thing once you get used to the vehicle holding the car in place for you. I might try to substitute with Parking Brake (something we couldn't get it to work on test drive) but like Jim said, I want to keep those brake lamps on, it helps with safety especially since Q7 does not have rear DRLs.
Old 09-07-2017, 07:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Jim Jistel
exactly, its not meant to be used as auto hold
Old 09-07-2017, 07:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by hayde_bre
Odd when other German vehicles have it. I believe even Atlas has this. I test drove several cars, so I am sorry if I am mixing things up.

This is true, it's not as safe as using auto hold. To help others understand, the regular Auto Hold is not a parking brake, it actually applies brakes, and brake lamps illuminate.

When I first got my X5 back in 2011, I was really worried that I would get too attached to auto hold because it was just so darn convenient. I didn't want to use it because I thought I might go with a different car later, and I would let go of brake inadvertently assuming car will hold.. Eventually I got another X5 3 yrs later, and I kept using the auto hold. It's actually very relaxing when you are at red light that you know will take a long time, or when you are waiting to make a turn and you don't want that split second to delay your turn, or let's face it, flooring it when the light turns green, leaving everyone else in dust with X5. So 6 years later, I felt really comfortable and happy that almost every car I test drove had the auto hold, and then I realized Q7 did not! Believe it or not, this is not a minor thing once you get used to the vehicle holding the car in place for you. I might try to substitute with Parking Brake (something we couldn't get it to work on test drive) but like Jim said, I want to keep those brake lamps on, it helps with safety especially since Q7 does not have rear DRLs.
Its not regulation as cars have had it for a decade. Audi is screwed up...explains dieselgate...yet I bought one. I can see being really let down if you've modified the way you drive. Its expected out of a luxury car these days, without having to ask for it

Quick Reply: Auto Hold (Auto Brake) Question