Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Auto Hold (Auto Brake) Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2017, 07:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by hayde_bre
I wouldn't mess with the dash, unless it can be wired to a separate ghetto-fix switch somewhere.

I also wouldn't want that to be permanently on because auto hold is a pain in the butt when you are trying to park. Even BMW didn't think to disable that when the parking sensors detect something. In those situations Auto Hold should disable itself, nothing worse than trying to parallel park in a tight space in the city, but car keeps stopping as if I just hit the car behind me.. I can never tell if I tapped it or if auto hold just stopped the car. It's a hassle.
The flip side of that is some dude who is so used to auto hold that he actually slams into the car behind him while parking, because the car didn't auto hold for him. Can't have it both ways I suppose

The fundamental reason I did not start using auto hold on my cars is because I flip between cars, and dont want to alter my basic driving behavior.
Old 09-09-2017, 04:59 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 102 Likes on 68 Posts

Auto hold only hold your car when fully stopped. When you are moving it's not engaged. When you are parking, it's the pre-sense that would stop your vehicle from hitting something not auto hold.
Old 09-09-2017, 05:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by gsobol
Auto hold only hold your car when fully stopped. When you are moving it's not engaged. When you are parking, it's the pre-sense that would stop your vehicle from hitting something not auto hold.
I was refering to a vehicle like BMW that has auto hold but not "presense". On that note, would my Q's presense stop me from backing into a car?
Old 09-09-2017, 06:47 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by BigKutta
I was refering to a vehicle like BMW that has auto hold but not "presense". On that note, would my Q's presense stop me from backing into a car?

I really hope that's not a permanent function.
Old 09-10-2017, 05:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Sorry, I'm not about to go and test it :-)
Old 09-10-2017, 07:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by gsobol
Sorry, I'm not about to go and test it :-)
Haha, neither am I
Old 09-10-2017, 10:12 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts
Default this is interesting...

My 2012 prestige has this as an automatic feature with no on or off choice. I did not know it would do this until recently as I was stopped at a light on a steep hill and my for slipped of the brake pedal and the car just sat there. It seemed to me like it was using the engine to hold it rather than the brakes however.
Old 09-10-2017, 01:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've backed up a coupe of times and it stopped me dead in my tracks, scared the heck out of me and my passengers when it did. One time I was backing up towards a telephone pole, I was watching it on my backup cam and I wasn't close to it in my opinion but the Q had a different opinion apparently. Also have had it beep at me, give me the warning while backing out of my driveway and I was backing up towards a road cone, stopped me dead once again. Both times it feels and sounds like you've hit something, kinda scary.
Old 09-10-2017, 05:14 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 85 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by flynavy
My 2012 prestige has this as an automatic feature with no on or off choice. I did not know it would do this until recently as I was stopped at a light on a steep hill and my for slipped of the brake pedal and the car just sat there. It seemed to me like it was using the engine to hold it rather than the brakes however.
I've experienced this on my 2017 Q7.
Old 09-10-2017, 05:49 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by flynavy
This is 'Hill Start Assist' - not to be mistaken for 'Hill Descent Assist'.

Quick Reply: Auto Hold (Auto Brake) Question