Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Auto Hold (Auto Brake) Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2017, 09:00 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

I've been using the (P) brake on long traffic lights, and it works like a charm, exactly like Auto Hold, except it makes the car turn back on from Auto Start/Stop. So while it makes it convenient, it causes car to start and just idle while I wait for my 90 second red light to turn green. Shame, really that I have to decide between resting my foot or protecting the environment.
Old 10-31-2017, 11:56 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 44 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by hayde_bre
Just curious, during test drive the SA insisted that I press the gas too much that's why it wasn't rolling, but no matter what we did, we couldn't make the Q7 move forward.

Is it supposed to be enabled somewhere (it was right of the truck). Do you pull th ((P)) brake every time you want it to auto hold? Is there a reason why Audi didn't put the dedicated auto hold button like BMW has? This will be extremely difficult to get used to because I drive on stop and go traffic a lot, and with long red lights, and lack of auto hold will be big downside.
Yes you need need to pull the parking brake everytime

Originally Posted by mcdream
Parking brake ((P)) is not intended for this purpose (allowing to lift your foot off the brake at a red light). This is for parking only.
There should be another button next to it ((A)) that allows you to do what you want.
From what I've read it looks like this option may not be available in the US. I'm about to get myself a new Q7 aswell and the demo cars I drove all had this function but I live in Europe.
wrong. See the american manual below
Originally Posted by Force-1
FWIW, from my 2017 S5 owner's manual.

Different than Q7?

Yup its the same for us

Old 11-01-2017, 04:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 102 Likes on 68 Posts

One thing to keep in mind. Parking brake uses different mechanism from auto hold. Auto hold uses your ABS system (regular brakes on all 4 wheels) and when applied it continues to light brake tail lights. Parking brake uses electro-mechanical parking brake on back wheels only and it does not light brake tail lights.

Unfortunately we don't get auto hold in US.
Old 11-01-2017, 07:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by gsobol
One thing to keep in mind. Parking brake uses different mechanism from auto hold. Auto hold uses your ABS system (regular brakes on all 4 wheels) and when applied it continues to light brake tail lights. Parking brake uses electro-mechanical parking brake on back wheels only and it does not light brake tail lights.

This was my next question because I was worried about this, I figured Parking brake would NOT illuminate the tails when applied. It's a shame, I wish this could be coded somehow.
Old 11-01-2017, 01:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by gsobol

This is a very important clarification for the folks who want to use their parking brake like auto hold. They ain't the same thing...
Old 11-01-2017, 02:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Different than my prior MDX, When I am at a full stop, I can engage the ACC and the car will hold its position like the parking brake. This works even if there is no car in front of you. The MDX did not allow this. With ACC, the brake light should be on.