Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Auto Hold function retrofit

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2018, 01:01 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Auto Hold function retrofit

Saw some discussions a while ago regarding retrofitting the Auto Hold function. I put sometime looking into it and got it done last week.

After a week of testing and using this function. I would like to put it up here for anyone who's interested.

Among so many things can be done to Q7, I personally think the Auto Hold retrofit is the most cost effective and functional project we can do. Because it actually enables a useful but missing function that is equipped in other markets.

It all starts with taking apart the center console insert. To achieve this, the shift **** needs to be removed. I tried to put in some photos here. All the steps can be found in the Audi repair manual.

Grab the shift **** cap and push up to remove it.

Remove the torx screw and lift up the shift ****.

Use a thin and straight trim removal plier to jack out the boot, then lift the shift **** all the way up. It's a bit hard to get the boot out for the first time, but it can be done with care and patience. In the photo, I circled three locking points, there's another one on the left side that's not shown. You just need to get from one of this points, then the boot can be removed. If you can't get it out from one point, try another.

Take out the two rubber cup holder mats, there's another torx screw down there. Take out the screw. Hold the center console insert, pull up then pull backwards. Disconnect the cables.

Then replace the dummy (and ugly) placeholder with the genuine Auto Hold button.

There's no much information online regarding the wiring of the Auto Hold button. Some say there's a need to tap or split the existing wire, which is not my like. So we made a custom cable with Audi genuine connectors to serve the plug and play concept, and not to damage any original cable.

There are four wires connect to the Auto Hold button. Two of them (brown and gray/blue) share the same wiring with the parking brake. With our custom made cable, these two wires go into the parking brake connector, and the two original wires from the parking brake go into the connector that comes with the custom cable.

Then the other two wires (green/black and green/yellow) need to be routed through the instrument panel and into the J519 Electrical System Control Module, which is located at the left side panel of the driver side footwell.

The above wire colors and wiring 100% comply to the Audi wiring diagram. So that's called retrofit

Once the wiring is done, turn on ignition and the headlight, the Auto Hold button should light up (the 'A' should light up). But if press on it, the red light would light up, but it doesn't stay there, it turns off immediately. That's because the Auto Hold function is not enabled yet.

Coding is needed in [09] Central Electrics and [03] Brakes. There is one bit in [09] and two bits in [03] that needed to be changed to fully activate the Auto Hold function. The change in [09] marks the Auto Hold button as 'installed', the changes in [03] actually turn on the Auto Hold functionality. Although I'd love to, but pardon me that I can't put up more coding details here in public, other vendors might beat me up

After the coding and putting everything back. The project is done. Total time would be about 2 to 3 hours is taking slowly and carefully.

When Auto Hold is enabled (the red light of the Auto Hold button is On), it functions as below:
  • Auto Hold is activated when the car comes to a complete stop. PARK light in dash board turns on green.
  • (While Auto Hold is activated) Release the brake pedal, Auto Hold keeps the car still.
  • (While Auto Hold is activated and engine auto off is engaged) Release the brake pedal, the engine starts up and keeps running (but car doesn’t move).
  • (While Auto Hold is activated) Press on gas, Auto Hold disengages automatically, car moves forward.

Hope this post can provide an overview of the retrofit procedure and the functionality.

The Auto Hold button and cable set can be purchased HERE.

Reply to this post, visit our WEBSITE, or ping me if you have any question.

Now I need to head back to our website to update the page of this retrofit (as I found this post has so much more details than our page https://www.4rings.us/auto-hold/

See ya.

Steven
Old 08-24-2018, 08:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's really cool. I have no idea how a Honda HRV has this feature and not $60K+ Luxury vehicle
Old 08-24-2018, 06:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

My BMW X5 had it in 2015. Other Q7s worldwide have it. Similar to Audi not including headlight washers in US cars unless equipped with Night Vision. Neither of these decisions by Audi have anything to do with US regulations, and I suspect everything to do with $$. Shame on Audi.
Old 08-25-2018, 02:05 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 68 Likes on 52 Posts

In US Q7s, if you engage the parking brake, when you step on the gas, the parking brake automatically disengages. What's the difference?

Also, if you have Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC), you can engage that with your foot on the brake (no car in front of you). You can then release the brake and car will not go until you either step on the gas or give a tug on the ACC lever.

So, not sure why this is needed.
Old 08-25-2018, 04:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

The difference is, at least in my BMW, when you press that button the car will automatically hold on a hill every time you stop - without any further action on the part of the driver - until you press the button again. This is convenient in stop and go traffic, or just to ensure that your car doesn't roll forward or back after you stop, without having to engage the emergency brake every single time you stop. That's the difference. And apparently Audi thought it was convenient enough that they provide it as an option on every other Q7 in the world except for the US (and maybe Canada, although they seem to get other goodies we don't) - as do many other car manufacturers. Definitely a first-world problem, but so is ACC, four-wheel steering and many other convenience and safety options Audi DOES provide. And the place for the button IS ALREADY THERE, as are the fake bumper cutouts for headlight washers for cars not equipped with Night Vision.

Last edited by Doc H; 08-25-2018 at 04:56 AM.
Old 08-25-2018, 05:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 68 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Doc H
The difference is, at least in my BMW, when you press that button the car will automatically hold on a hill every time you stop - without any further action on the part of the driver - until you press the button again. This is convenient in stop and go traffic, or just to ensure that your car doesn't roll forward or back after you stop, without having to engage the emergency brake every single time you stop. That's the difference. And apparently Audi thought it was convenient enough that they provide it as an option on every other Q7 in the world except for the US (and maybe Canada, although they seem to get other goodies we don't) - as do many other car manufacturers. Definitely a first-world problem, but so is ACC, four-wheel steering and many other convenience and safety options Audi DOES provide. And the place for the button IS ALREADY THERE, as are the fake bumper cutouts for headlight washers for cars not equipped with Night Vision.
Makes sense.
Old 08-25-2018, 08:59 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 44 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Doc H
The Q7 has automatic hill hold. Just come off the brakes on a hill and it won't roll back. There is a limit on it holding tho. I think 30 secs.
Old 08-25-2018, 11:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Awesome work Steven thank you. I hate having blank spaces in vehicles that could have had an option there. One reason I chose almost every option possible! I maybe doing this retrofit soon! And no wonder the sales guys at the dealership couldn’t prove to me that the Q7 had headlight washers, I doubt the demo car had night vision. I didn’t realize only night vision package got the washer. I got lucky!
The following users liked this post:
Corgiman (11-24-2019)
Old 08-25-2018, 11:45 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BryonL
Awesome work Steven thank you. I hate having blank spaces in vehicles that could have had an option there. One reason I chose almost every option possible! I maybe doing this retrofit soon! And no wonder the sales guys at the dealership couldn’t prove to me that the Q7 had headlight washers, I doubt the demo car had night vision. I didn’t realize only night vision package got the washer. I got lucky!
Me too. Don't like seeing dummy 'buttons' in the car. I think the best solution is to get every possible option/package when purchasing. Any mod/retrofit takes lots of time and might cost more than original. Personally I would like to keep everything in original state. Shame that Audi doesn't provide some of the options.
Old 08-26-2018, 06:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Dasaint
The Q7 has automatic hill hold. Just come off the brakes on a hill and it won't roll back. There is a limit on it holding tho. I think 30 secs.
But it will roll forward going downhill, or on a level highway in traffic. Not so with a real hill hold option, and the brake releases when you step on the accellerator. I found this convenient in my BMW when stopped for a long time at a light; you get used to it if you have it. I suppose the reverse is true, and you might not miss it if you've never used it, but just one more deletion from Audi for US cars that literally makes no sense except for saving some pennies.

Quick Reply: Auto Hold function retrofit