Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Auto stop functionality and Ambient lighting questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2017, 02:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Auto stop functionality and Ambient lighting questions

I am curious as to what triggers the auto stopping of the engine at the signals...mine has been pretty inconsistent in the past 2 weeks of owning the Q7. Some times it appears to auto stop the engine when I press the brake pedal hard enough but sometimes it doesn't. Does anyone know what triggers this function exactly and what I should be doing (I tested this in different drive modes with similar results)? Not that I am too much concerned about it but would like to know everything about my beauty

Another question - I've already set the interior ambient lighting brightness to the max in vehicle settings but would love to increase the lining brightness beyond the max level. Has anyone tried this and is it a possibility?
Old 06-06-2017, 02:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by MyLuv4Audi
I am curious as to what triggers the auto stopping of the engine at the signals...mine has been pretty inconsistent in the past 2 weeks of owning the Q7. Some times it appears to auto stop the engine when I press the brake pedal hard enough but sometimes it doesn't. Does anyone know what triggers this function exactly and what I should be doing (I tested this in different drive modes with similar results)? Not that I am too much concerned about it but would like to know everything about my beauty

Another question - I've already set the interior ambient lighting brightness to the max in vehicle settings but would love to increase the lining brightness beyond the max level. Has anyone tried this and is it a possibility?
If you take a peek in the owner's manual you will see a list of prerequisites that must be true in order for Start/Stop to shut off the engine. These include engine and exterior temperature and HVAC settings.

"Engine does not switch off
Before and during each stop phase, the system checks if certain conditions have been met.
Driving
l?i'Jindicator light appears in the instrument clus- ter display, the engine will not be stopped, for example in the following situations:
-The engine has not reached the minimum re- quired temperature for Start/Stop mode.
-The interior temperature selected by the cli- mate control system has not been reached.
-The outside temperature is extremely high/low. -The windshield is being defrosted.
-The vehicle battery charge level is too low. -The steering wheel is turned at a sharp angle or
is moving .
-After engaging the reverse gear. -On sharp inclines.
- A t high altitudes.
Engine automatically restarts
The standard Start/Stop mode will be canceled during a stop phase in the following situations. The engine restarts without any action by the driver .
- The vehicle rolls, for example while on a slope. -The interior temperature differs from the tem-
perature selected in the AIC system.
-The windshield is being defrosted.
-The brake pedal is pressed several times in a
row .
-The vehicle battery charge level is too low. -Power consumption is high.
The engine can turn off again when the condi- tions for Start/Stop mode are met."

Last edited by DennisMitchell; 06-06-2017 at 04:36 PM.
Old 06-06-2017, 03:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are 2 parallel led contours. One for led stripes, one for background light. Both contours can be regulated in brightness and colors independently. Suppose you can't go beyond max brightness with means of MMI. Then you need vagcom or obd11
Old 06-06-2017, 04:10 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Manual Page 85:
You can determine for yourself if the engine will
stop or not by reducing or increasing the amount
of force you use to press the brake pedal. For example,
if you only Lightly press on the brake pedal
in stop-and-go traffic or when turning, the engine
will not switch off when the vehicle is stationary.
As soon as you press the brake down
harder, the engine will switch off.
Old 06-06-2017, 07:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

The dynamic drive modes can affect it as well. Putting it in Dynamic as well as "S" disables it at stops. You can also custom it in the individual setting to not kick in. I've found though in "park", it will engage regardless of drive mode.
Old 06-07-2017, 09:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you all for the clarifications! I kinda figured by trial that pressing the brake pedal hard shuts the engine off but I was a bit worried doing that every time, glad you guys pointed that in the user manual! I tried non-Dynamic drive modes and it seems to work relatively more consistent now, wonder why though!

Regarding the ambient light brightness, I don't have the 3rd party tools to hack the computer and I am hesitant to get one fearing it would void the warranty, but I assume that's the only way to achieve this probably. Thanks again!
Old 06-07-2017, 10:00 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MyLuv4Audi
Thank you all for the clarifications! I kinda figured by trial that pressing the brake pedal hard shuts the engine off but I was a bit worried doing that every time, glad you guys pointed that in the user manual! I tried non-Dynamic drive modes and it seems to work relatively more consistent now, wonder why though!

Regarding the ambient light brightness, I don't have the 3rd party tools to hack the computer and I am hesitant to get one fearing it would void the warranty, but I assume that's the only way to achieve this probably. Thanks again!
I havnt seen any coding that lets you change the brightness past the max in the mmi.