Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Back Key replacement options/alternatives

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2021, 11:01 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Back Key replacement options/alternatives

Hi all,

We lost our 2nd Audi Q7 key fob, now we only have 1.

Dealer said new key would cost $800 ($650 for key itself, and $150 to program). I am assuming ordering new key from dealer is the only option. Before I do this, I just wanted to double check to see if there were any alternative ideas.

As the only reason we need this 2nd key is for a backup, I was wondering if a viable alternative would be to remove the physical emergency key from the fob and leave it at home? If on a roadtrip, I guess it would make sense to bring it with incase the fob malfunctions, but 99.9% of the driving is around town by wife and if she loses this key fob then we can at least continue to use the car with the physical emergency key.

Old 06-28-2021, 12:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,201 Likes on 934 Posts

Originally Posted by Tiburblium
Hi all,

We lost our 2nd Audi Q7 key fob, now we only have 1.

Dealer said new key would cost $800 ($650 for key itself, and $150 to program). I am assuming ordering new key from dealer is the only option. Before I do this, I just wanted to double check to see if there were any alternative ideas.

As the only reason we need this 2nd key is for a backup, I was wondering if a viable alternative would be to remove the physical emergency key from the fob and leave it at home? If on a roadtrip, I guess it would make sense to bring it with incase the fob malfunctions, but 99.9% of the driving is around town by wife and if she loses this key fob then we can at least continue to use the car with the physical emergency key.
There are no alternatives. A new key should not be more than $650 or so with programming, I would shop around if you can.
The fob is what starts the car, battery, dead battery, or no battery. The physical key is only used so you can get the door(s) open. If you take the fob with you, and then lose it, you are SOL with the physical cut key, because it does not contain the electronics to start the car. This was not the case when Audi issued cars with 3 keys and two were fobs and one was a plastic cut key (with a chip in it) but I believe the last year they did this was 2016.
Old 06-29-2021, 05:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

What I did for remote start on my Q7 when I had to bury a key in the car was just order the fob and not the cut key part. Saved me about $150. Still required getting it from a dealer and also programming at the dealer... but it was for a third key and I did not need the physical metal part (that you also attach to your key ring).
Old 10-29-2022, 09:57 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mhoran89, I need to do the same, do you know the Product ID for the fob? Also, can the dealer program a used one off ebay?
Lastly, what remote start system did you install?
Thanks
Old 10-29-2022, 10:00 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by mhoran89
What I did for remote start on my Q7 when I had to bury a key in the car was just order the fob and not the cut key part. Saved me about $150. Still required getting it from a dealer and also programming at the dealer... but it was for a third key and I did not need the physical metal part (that you also attach to your key ring).
I need to do the same, do you know the Product ID for the fob? Also, can the dealer program a used one off ebay?

Thanks

-------
2018 Q7 2.0 Premium Plus
Old 10-30-2022, 04:00 AM
SVJ
AudiWorld Member

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by duke7
I need to do the same, do you know the Product ID for the fob? Also, can the dealer program a used one off ebay?

Thanks

-------
2018 Q7 2.0 Premium Plus
I believe that once the key was programmed, it won't accept the overwrite. If you get one from eBay and the dealer is unable to program it, they'll still charge you $100+ for an attempt. So, be weary.
The following users liked this post:
duke7 (11-03-2022)
Old 11-03-2022, 12:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

you cannot have a dealer program a key that was not ordered through audi of america for that car. it is a liability thing. I have asked, asked, asked again. I have also brought a key with the exact same part number to the dealer and they wouldn't do it. It's BS but it is how it works.

programming is one hour of labor and every key you want to start the car needs to be present to be "re programmed". best of luck.

the remote start system I have has been giving me issues and my installer is coming to me for the third time in 2 weeks to try again. I would recommend a plug and play system from 12v solutions. it is expensive but it is worth it and lots of folks have had luck with it.
The following users liked this post:
duke7 (11-03-2022)
Old 11-03-2022, 05:15 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by mhoran89
you cannot have a dealer program a key that was not ordered through audi of america for that car. it is a liability thing. I have asked, asked, asked again. I have also brought a key with the exact same part number to the dealer and they wouldn't do it. It's BS but it is how it works.

programming is one hour of labor and every key you want to start the car needs to be present to be "re programmed". best of luck.

the remote start system I have has been giving me issues and my installer is coming to me for the third time in 2 weeks to try again. I would recommend a plug and play system from 12v solutions. it is expensive but it is worth it and lots of folks have had luck with it.
Thank you. Much appreciated. I’ll bite the bullet and try to find a fob from Audi parts and have the dealer reprogram all. 12v sounds like a reliable option too.
Old 11-04-2022, 06:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by duke7
Thank you. Much appreciated. I’ll bite the bullet and try to find a fob from Audi parts and have the dealer reprogram all. 12v sounds like a reliable option too.
12v solutions is expensive but it is super simple, plug and play, and they stand by their product. unfortunately audi/vw cars are a pain to install remote start systems into due to the key brains wanting a key in the car, but it is doable just at an added expense. best of luck!