Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Basic battery question

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2022, 05:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Basic battery question

2017 Q7. Original battery. Operates fine but I will be at the dealership for brakes soon. Should I replace the battery? It’s been over 5 years.
Old 05-09-2022, 02:49 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 109 Likes on 87 Posts

No , AGM very likely good for 7+ years. Rather then pay double at dealer for batt and install, get one of those small lithium booster packs to carry with you it you are worried, will charge your phone too....

I have several in various cars, but like this one the best, about $100:

NOCO Boost Plus GB40

The following 2 users liked this post by Mesquite77:
dutch142 (10-18-2022), Edbell222 (10-11-2022)
Old 05-09-2022, 08:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 250 Likes on 184 Posts

@billsfan I second what @Mesquite77 posted. I carry a small Li-Ion jump pack with me. Works for the car or the boat. Didn't cost much, and will usually get you home. For me, battery is one of those things I don't replace until the old one fails. It's not likely that it will hurt anything else when it does fail (unlike something like a timing belt, or suspension busing), and they are readily available for replacement locally within a few hours time if needed.

Run what you have until you start having issues, then replace.
The following users liked this post:
nova80 (02-02-2023)
Old 05-10-2022, 11:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,202 Likes on 935 Posts

AGM batteries in these cars if cared for (charged or driven regularly) can last 7 years easily. I would not sweat a 5 year old battery unless the car sees absolutely extreme climates. keep a jump pack with you (I do in the winter usually) as my ski trips have temps regularly below -20F.
Old 10-05-2022, 10:15 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

My battery started to concern me last winter, when it was five and a half years old (was slow to start a couple of times). I purchased a battery tester and charger, which confirmed that it's nearing end-of-life (it's now over six years old). I'm proactively having it swapped at the dealer before this year's winter, but am kind of stunned at the price (>$700 parts + labor!). Dealer justified it as there's required seat disassembly due to the battery being under the seat.
Edbell222 (10-10-2022)
Old 10-06-2022, 04:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by EnerJi
My battery started to concern me last winter, when it was five and a half years old (was slow to start a couple of times). I purchased a battery tester and charger, which confirmed that it's nearing end-of-life (it's now over six years old). I'm proactively having it swapped at the dealer before this year's winter, but am kind of stunned at the price (>$700 parts + labor!). Dealer justified it as there's required seat disassembly due to the battery being under the seat.
I seriously need to open a shop. This kind of pricing is just nuts.

If you can get a battery tester/charger to the battery for, well, testing and charging, you should have been able to see how easy it is to remove.

The battery is in a small compartment under the passenger seat floor board. The compartment lid opens right up, and the batter lifts out of the top. You can do it with the seat in the full rearward position. I would be curious what part of the seat the took apart to get the battery in/out?!?!

With all that said, I've only looked at my battery for a date stamp, I haven't actually removed and replaced it.

Last edited by 2kwik4u; 10-06-2022 at 04:40 AM. Reason: clarity
Old 10-06-2022, 08:15 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by 2kwik4u
I seriously need to open a shop. This kind of pricing is just nuts.

If you can get a battery tester/charger to the battery for, well, testing and charging, you should have been able to see how easy it is to remove.
Yeah, I'm used to dealer prices (owned a BMW for many years) but I'm particularly unhappy with this Audi dealership.

To charge and test I only have to connect to the jumping terminals in the engine compartment, so I had no need to access the actual battery.

The battery is in a small compartment under the passenger seat floor board. The compartment lid opens right up, and the batter lifts out of the top. You can do it with the seat in the full rearward position. I would be curious what part of the seat the took apart to get the battery in/out?!?!

With all that said, I've only looked at my battery for a date stamp, I haven't actually removed and replaced it.
I've read (in these forums) that the battery is surprisingly difficult to get out, so it wouldn't surprise me if the official Audi maintenance standard is to do something that requires a lot of labor like removing the passenger seat completely. But interesting that you say it's on the passenger side! They want to charge me to remove the passenger seat ANYWAY to change a seatbelt buckle, so it seems they are double-charging me for removing the passenger seat.
Old 10-06-2022, 08:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by EnerJi
I've read (in these forums) that the battery is surprisingly difficult to get out, so it wouldn't surprise me if the official Audi maintenance standard is to do something that requires a lot of labor like removing the passenger seat completely. But interesting that you say it's on the passenger side! They want to charge me to remove the passenger seat ANYWAY to change a seatbelt buckle, so it seems they are double-charging me for removing the passenger seat.
I just walked out in the parking lot at the office out of curiosity (and needing to take a break). It couldn't have taken me more than 12 seconds to get access to the battery once I opened the car door. I have ZERO clue why the seat needs to be removed to access it. Lift floormat and set aside, lift access panel and remove. There are two bolts that hold the battery to the floor, and the two battery terminals. I can't see any other fasteners to remove, or items to clear to get the battery out.

This is on a '17 Prestige. Maybe the '20+ models are more difficult?!?!

Last edited by 2kwik4u; 10-06-2022 at 08:45 AM.
EnerJi (10-06-2022)
Old 10-06-2022, 09:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

For whatever it is worth, I bought a '18 Q7 Prestige with 31k miles on it last year and it was 3.5 years old. It was based in CA and I think garaged based on its condition so it lived a cushy life.

I started having battery issues within the first 2-3 months of ownership and when the dealership went in to replace it under warranty they discovered the original owner had already replaced it with a Die Hard battery so they couldn't cover it under warranty. Luckily CarMax covered it so it all worked out but I'm surprised to hear many people last 7+ years with their battery given the one in my Q7 apparently only lasted probably 2-3 years at most given the Die Hard battery was dying in under 4 years since original delivery date.

I third the lithium ion jump pack. I have the same NOCO model as mentioned above and it saved my butt SO many times with my previous vehicle and a few times with the Q7 before I could get the battery replaced. Really is a huge added piece of mind and it only needs to be recharged 1-2 times per year if you keep it in your trunk for emergencies.
EnerJi (10-06-2022)
Old 10-06-2022, 10:24 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I just walked out in the parking lot at the office out of curiosity (and needing to take a break). It couldn't have taken me more than 12 seconds to get access to the battery once I opened the car door. I have ZERO clue why the seat needs to be removed to access it. Lift floormat and set aside, lift access panel and remove. There are two bolts that hold the battery to the floor, and the two battery terminals. I can't see any other fasteners to remove, or items to clear to get the battery out.

This is on a '17 Prestige. Maybe the '20+ models are more difficult?!?!
Wow, thank you for checking and providing the picture. I have a '17 as well.

Originally Posted by Zapper
For whatever it is worth, I bought a '18 Q7 Prestige with 31k miles on it last year and it was 3.5 years old. It was based in CA and I think garaged based on its condition so it lived a cushy life.
Lead acid batteries need to stay fully charged at all times for maximum life. A car that is driven infrequently or for many short trips (where the alternator doesn't have a chance to fully recharge the battery) will have its battery degrade faster.
The following 2 users liked this post by EnerJi:
2kwik4u (10-06-2022), dutch142 (10-18-2022)

Quick Reply: Basic battery question