Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Bose sound quality

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2019, 08:14 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 71 Posts

Was driving today with Amazon Music playing through CarPlay, and it sounded decent but very quiet. I tried to adjust the audio settings while in CarPlay and they were all greyed out.
Old 06-03-2019, 05:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,201 Likes on 934 Posts

Originally Posted by Brimstone
FTFY
thanks, must have had a few cocktails before posting that up.
Old 06-07-2019, 03:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I thought I would update this with my amazon prime dilemma and poor sound quality. Reading the thread with hidden gems someone mentioned that each source has a separate audio control. When I updated the tone settings I did it while listening to xm. When I had amazon playing sure enough all audi settings were in the middle so a quick adjustment and it sounded good (well for Bose at least). Don't be a moron like me and forget to adjust your setting under each source. This car is by far the most advanced I have ever owned. Bose still lacks bass so I will start researching changing out the sub. I don't need to rattle the neighborhood, I just want a little more bass.
Old 06-07-2019, 06:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

It seems like the Bose has no issue making it sound like you have a big drum in a box, in the trunk but if you want any “kick” from the rest of the speakers adjusting just the Bass does almost nothing. It’s a little disappointing. I miss the HK system in my X5 and my wife’s Grand Cherokee. Luckily the Q makes up for it in many other areas
Old 06-11-2019, 12:28 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would agree with those that feel that the Bose in the Q7 is lacking. My wife's 2012 TL (that I have now inherited) with Bose system sounds better than the 2018 Q7 Bose.

As the OP said, the system sounds flat. I describe it as something missing. Can it reproduce low sounds? Yep. Can it reproduce mid and high frequencies? Sure can.

BUT, something is..... missing. I don't feel the music. I don't mean when it is so loud that it shakes your eyeballs. I mean feel inside where the music lives. It is loud enough for me, but it doesn't have that tightness that it needs.
The system is playing all the notes but nothing more. Like a middle school band playing jazz.

Is the upgrade worth the 5K? For my wife, it definitely is not. She thinks it sounds fine. As I am not in the Q that often by myself, it doesn't bother me too much. However when I do get the opportunity to listen to some Trombone Shorty or Stevie Ray, I can see the tears roll down the street from the weeping angels of music who are saddened by the blasphemous sounds emanating from the speakers.

TLDR: System sounds like it is missing that special something.
Old 06-11-2019, 01:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by soyelmocano
I would agree with those that feel that the Bose in the Q7 is lacking. My wife's 2012 TL (that I have now inherited) with Bose system sounds better than the 2018 Q7 Bose.

As the OP said, the system sounds flat. I describe it as something missing. Can it reproduce low sounds? Yep. Can it reproduce mid and high frequencies? Sure can.

BUT, something is..... missing. I don't feel the music. I don't mean when it is so loud that it shakes your eyeballs. I mean feel inside where the music lives. It is loud enough for me, but it doesn't have that tightness that it needs.
The system is playing all the notes but nothing more. Like a middle school band playing jazz.

Is the upgrade worth the 5K? For my wife, it definitely is not. She thinks it sounds fine. As I am not in the Q that often by myself, it doesn't bother me too much. However when I do get the opportunity to listen to some Trombone Shorty or Stevie Ray, I can see the tears roll down the street from the weeping angels of music who are saddened by the blasphemous sounds emanating from the speakers.

TLDR: System sounds like it is missing that special something.
Bose = All highs and no lows.

However the best oem system I ever heard is the Bose Panaray in the ct6. It's the only thing I have ever heard from Bose that sounded very impressive.

Im selling my sq5 tomorrow and in there I had a spare tire subwoofer from Cerwin Vega that was just released a few months ago. Sounded great, sadly didnt get to enjoy it very long. I was going to install it in the q7 but didnt realize it didnt have a spare tire. However a quick measurement is showing it should fit once the styrofoam is removed. I will make something from mdf to secure it on the bottom and install it a little later on. It will add a lot more bass than the crappy Bose one. Besides the lack of bass it's not bad overall. Now I just need to figure out how to get rid of the very annoying connection manager popup when I activate siri or plug in the phone.
Old 06-11-2019, 03:45 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe it is those true lows that are missing, which would explain why it is more of a feeling of something off. Also might explain the flat muddled sound it has sometimes.
Old 06-11-2019, 05:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

It’s definitely the true lows that are missing. And not being to adjust the mid range. It sounds decent but that’s about as positive as I can be about it. It’s a let down from HK. The best I have had was Mark Levinson in my GS 350.
Old 06-13-2019, 06:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,201 Likes on 934 Posts

Originally Posted by sickk23
It’s definitely the true lows that are missing. And not being to adjust the mid range. It sounds decent but that’s about as positive as I can be about it. It’s a let down from HK. The best I have had was Mark Levinson in my GS 350.
I have yet to listed to a Mark Leninson based system in a Lexus...

The best I ever heard to date which is so unnecessary was the Bose Panaray system in the Cadillac CT6. 34 speakers.
Funny thing is it's only about half ($3700) of what the B&O costs in the larger Audi sedans.
Old 06-13-2019, 07:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

The B&O cost is just insane. And what’s even more so is the F150 now has some sort of B&O system in it. Obviously not the same thing but I found it ironic.

Quick Reply: Bose sound quality