Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Broken Coil Spring

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2022, 04:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 64 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris_Or
Hey gents,

I hope you can help. I had an interesting assumption where I thought my rear left coil spring was seating wrong due to a snapping sound i heard; however, auth. dealer told me that rear coil spring in fact do seat different in the rear ie one with rubber and one without.

Can you please confirm your Q7 has it the same as attached pictures? I could not find any diagrams online. Thank you.

my initial observation was that rear left has coil spring that sits different from the right side.
They should be mirror images as the part is the same just 180 degrees from each other. So your rear right looks correct. For reference here’s my new parts. The picture with the arm part number is the left side. Your dealer is not telling you the truth. They are exactly the same on both sides.

Last edited by richsurf; 06-15-2022 at 04:37 AM.
Old 06-15-2022, 06:37 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by richsurf
They should be mirror images as the part is the same just 180 degrees from each other. So your rear right looks correct. For reference here’s my new parts. The picture with the arm part number is the left side. Your dealer is not telling you the truth. They are exactly the same on both sides.

thank you. Just came back from a dealer, the technician came out and I showed him the pictures, but he sweared that he is a certified technician and checked other Q7 cars and they have the same set up as mine. Gave me a technician minutes report and released the car. I arrived home and could not but start to evaluate the car’s rear spacing between wheel and body and of course the rear left side of the body sits lower by ~2in than right rear side on flat even surface.

Will seek the third opinion, because it then will become a malpractice so to speak from their side to my family incl. 3 children and will need to seek full corporate resolution. If any of you had similar situations plz let me know steps that may help solve the problem.

thank you.
Old 06-15-2022, 07:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 811 Likes on 619 Posts

thank you. Just came back from a dealer, the technician came out and I showed him the pictures, but he sweared that he is a certified technician and checked other Q7 cars and they have the same set up as mine. Gave me a technician minutes report and released the car. I arrived home and could not but start to evaluate the car’s rear spacing between wheel and body and of course the rear left side of the body sits lower by ~2in than right rear side on flat even surface.

Will seek the third opinion, because it then will become a malpractice so to speak from their side to my family incl. 3 children and will need to seek full corporate resolution. If any of you had similar situations plz let me know steps that may help solve the problem.

thank you.
I would consult it with another Audi workshop. Here is the screen print from Audi OEM catalogue. Right and left coil springs and rubber spring supports are the same.
Old 06-15-2022, 09:02 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

thank you. very strange why intentionally they try to avoid to fix the car.
Old 06-16-2022, 05:58 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Morning, I took the car to a local shop, lifted a car and it was evident and easily identifiable - the coil spring snapped, had a piece that missing, and it did not sit in the boot. although, the rubber piece was there, the spring was sitting around it. Same exact problem as noted above.

The service technician sweared this is normal, signed off and let me drive like this even after before driving off i still raised concerns that I believe he did not identified the issue as the car is sagging one side and the other is lifted unusually high. But, how do I know if i am just a driver and Audi technician is "certified" and trumps any of my concerns.

Will give a service manager a chance to make it right due to negligence on their part (fix spring, replace shocks, control arm etc) before escalating further to AoA, BBB etc.
Old 06-16-2022, 11:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Morning, I took the car to a local shop, lifted a car and it was evident and easily identifiable - the coil spring snapped, had a piece that missing, and it did not sit in the boot. although, the rubber piece was there, the spring was sitting around it. Same exact problem as noted above.

The service technician sweared this is normal, signed off and let me drive like this even after before driving off i still raised concerns that I believe he did not identified the issue as the car is sagging one side and the other is lifted unusually high. But, how do I know if i am just a driver and Audi technician is "certified" and trumps any of my concerns.

Will give a service manager a chance to make it right due to negligence on their part (fix spring, replace shocks, control arm etc) before escalating further to AoA, BBB etc.
the fact the tech said it is normal means he has no idea what he is doing and should be fired. “Certified” means nothing. It is a safety issue and will affect the cars handling and emergency maneuvers. Report this to NHTSA as I always say. Call AoA anyway, most likely they will not do anything depending on the miles on your car and warranty status. Let the service manger know his tech isn’t doing his job.
As suggested earlier, if possible go to a different dealer for evaluation.
I listed all the part numbers needed previously. So if you go to an independent shop they can order them or you can order yourself. Sorry this happened to you. It seems the Audi service staff nationwide is lacking in care for customers. All they want is $.

Last edited by richsurf; 02-19-2024 at 05:07 AM.
Old 06-16-2022, 12:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

Good luck calling AoA, I think the DMV is more efficient. You'll be on hold for 2 hours and deal with someone that isn't knowledgeable and just works off of a script. At least that has been my experience with AoA whenever I call.
Old 06-16-2022, 01:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 811 Likes on 619 Posts

If you call AoA, they'll acknowledge your complaint but they won't be surprised and I am afraid they won't do anything. AoA probably has many such complaints because, unfortunately, there are many unprofessional dealers also in the premium cars segment.
However, you can come back to your dealer and scare them even with the legal steps. What they ignored is a matter of safety and only thanks to your inquisitiveness the problem was properly diagnosed. Their "certified" technician is may be certified in another profession or they just wanted to avoid the unpleasant job of replacing coil springs and shock absorbers. This is the time consuming and dirty job. Both elements should be replaced in pairs (left&right) to avoid other parameters between the old and new parts.
Although I would personally go to another Audi dealer, because the one you visited can no longer be trusted.
Old 11-06-2022, 06:25 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2018 Q7 Broken Coil Spring at 89k

Picked up a used Audi Q7 3.0 S-Line 3.0L with 79,000km. After warranty Y pipe repair we have been enjoying this ride. First Audi ownership so high quality engineering was my expectation until I took it in for oil change. Per vehicle inspection during oil change, passenger rear coil was found to be
broken in the same manner as I’ve seen in this thread. I’ve owned many vehicles never had a coil spring snap and now this happens on our highly engineered Q7. There is obvious fabrication (heat treat) issue with these springs and is truest a safety issue and should be recalled. Volkswagen is doing a recall on similar issue which I bet are related
I had both replaced figuring the other was ticking bomb. New Audi springs had part number version change so maybe the issue was addressed?? This cost me $1600 - RIDICULOUS!!

Old 11-07-2022, 06:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Q7-Bliss
Picked up a used Audi Q7 3.0 S-Line 3.0L with 79,000km. After warranty Y pipe repair we have been enjoying this ride. First Audi ownership so high quality engineering was my expectation until I took it in for oil change. Per vehicle inspection during oil change, passenger rear coil was found to be
broken in the same manner as I’ve seen in this thread. I’ve owned many vehicles never had a coil spring snap and now this happens on our highly engineered Q7. There is obvious fabrication (heat treat) issue with these springs and is truest a safety issue and should be recalled. Volkswagen is doing a recall on similar issue which I bet are related
I had both replaced figuring the other was ticking bomb. New Audi springs had part number version change so maybe the issue was addressed?? This cost me $1600 - RIDICULOUS!!
it really sucks that Audi won’t stand behind this particular part. Did you change your lower mounts as well? They are another weak spot in this assembly.

Quick Reply: Broken Coil Spring