Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Broken Coil Spring

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2023, 06:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 133 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Roy Keane
I also heard a loud pop back in July. Felt like a golf ball hit my side. Took the dealer recently for a check up and they found both rear springs broken. FFS!

i will report my issue. Is there a good DYI video/instructions for this. Dealer wanted $2600.

And alignment and another $800 to align the adaptive cruise control. What a bunch of crooks.
I have not found any DIY videos specific to the 4M but the B8.5 model uses the same set up and there are some videos on YouTube.
Old 09-06-2023, 03:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 64 Likes on 62 Posts

I also heard a loud pop back in July. Felt like a golf ball hit my side. Took the dealer recently for a check up and they found both rear springs broken. FFS!

i will report my issue. Is there a good DYI video/instructions for this. Dealer wanted $2600.

And alignment and another $800 to align the adaptive cruise control. What a bunch of crooks.
Absolutely no need for adaptive CC recalibrate.
this is a very easy DIY. Go to getaudiparts as they have the cheapest OEM springs and lower mount prices.
as I said previously just mark the eccentric bolt with something like a silver sharpie or nail polish and your alignment will be fine. Go to Harbor Freight and get some spring compressors.

Last edited by richsurf; 09-06-2023 at 03:38 PM.
Old 09-11-2023, 06:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Filed a complaint. What are the chances this gets covered by a dealer or something is done?
Old 09-12-2023, 01:52 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

@richsurf, do you need to drop the lower arm or can you get in and out with just the spring compressors alone?
Old 09-13-2023, 03:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by webego.co.uk
@richsurf, do you need to drop the lower arm or can you get in and out with just the spring compressors alone?
I suppose you could just remove the outer bolt and press the arm out of the way
I took them out to treat the corrosion on the arm itself. It is a much easier job just to take them out. Just make sure to mark the eccentric bolt for alignment.

Last edited by richsurf; 02-18-2024 at 05:14 AM.
The following users liked this post:
webego.co.uk (09-14-2023)
Old 09-26-2023, 02:30 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Can anyone tell what this part O1S is? It reminds me of the anti resonance weights on the LR3 and LR4. And more importantly, should there be two, one on each side? I only have one on the nearside.

Old 09-26-2023, 02:54 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Hmm, looked at a bunch of rear subframes on the ol' t'interwebs and most only have one or none so guessing I'm not missing one. Does anyone know the purpose? Is it to control the resonance?
Old 09-27-2023, 04:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Filed a complaint. What are the chances this gets covered by a dealer or something is done?
depends on mileage and relationship with dealer. It’s quid pro quo with the dealers from what mine told me. Don’t count on any compensation.
Old 09-27-2023, 12:11 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

2017 Q7 3.0 with 62K miles and just over 6 years old. Went in for the 70K service and was told that both rear coil springs were broken. I was told that this is a common failure/wear item from the service tech. I did not notice prior to the service appt. Over $2K for the repair. Should I expect the front coils to break soon and for this to happen again in another 6 years? I filed a report with the NHTSA, which I encourage others to do if you have springs failing. If this is as common as it appears, there should be a recall.

Old 02-15-2024, 05:14 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default What else should I be asking mechanic?

Forgive me novice here, trying to gain your knowlegde and help.
Hey there. I have an 18 Q7 prestige, 90k miles. Just put new vredestein tires 15 months ago. 12k miles ago. Rear driver side has been 2 inches lower for at least 2 years. Upon state inspection, mech says found a broken rear spring. He replaced both rear springs and shocks. Since then the ride is nowhere near the same. Dry road it feels loose on uneven road or potholes. Now it's winter and the truck feels super loose like its sliding on snowy or icy roads even at 30 mph. I took it back to mechanic and he says must be the tires... Should I take it for an alignment somewhere else? Not sure what to do. Should i be asking for them to look at something in this thread?

Quick Reply: Broken Coil Spring