Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Canadian Q7 virtual cockpit questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2016, 09:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Canadian Q7 virtual cockpit questions

For those Canadian Q7 owners (I guess US owners too):

how easy is it to flip the speedometer from KM to Miles? or vice versa?

Also flipping the Odometer from KM to Miles or vice versa?

Will the speed limit sign reader/camera recognize both US speed limit signs and Canadian ones?
Old 05-19-2016, 10:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 234 Likes on 171 Posts

I haven't tried it, but my guess is easily if you go into the MMI settings and change the units to KM.
Old 05-19-2016, 11:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thank you, I was thinking more in the directions during those border crossing times and you need to switch to KM or Miles so the rest of the gadgets would work - like the intelligent cruise control where youc an set a speed threshold and when your camera reads the sign in metrics or in miles.

of course this country doesn't want to adopt the international standard for some strange reason.
Old 05-20-2016, 02:22 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 68 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Zoich
For those Canadian Q7 owners (I guess US owners too):

how easy is it to flip the speedometer from KM to Miles? or vice versa?

Also flipping the Odometer from KM to Miles or vice versa?

Will the speed limit sign reader/camera recognize both US speed limit signs and Canadian ones?
Depends on your definition of "easy". Hit the MMI menu button, spin all the way down to the last entry, Settings. Select the units item then change to miles/km.

Don't know about the traffic sign camera reading both US and Canadian, but I would sure hope it does.
Old 05-20-2016, 10:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Thank you!

no car in hand yet! but good to know! Also I learned my production week was moved up from 23 to 19 (last week woohoo). So hopefully I should see it soon. :-) I am sure I'll have a lot more questions!

Originally Posted by RickObe
Depends on your definition of "easy". Hit the MMI menu button, spin all the way down to the last entry, Settings. Select the units item then change to miles/km.

Don't know about the traffic sign camera reading both US and Canadian, but I would sure hope it does.
Old 05-20-2016, 11:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 245 Likes on 189 Posts

I got this yesterday, not on purpose though, happens once in a while, it's on the HUD also

Name:  IMG_1382_zpsrvpz0j1e.jpg
Views: 1423
Size:  141.3 KB
Old 05-20-2016, 03:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Interesting.... I guess that makes sense. Speed limit sign recognition is independent of whether you're in Miles mode or KM mode. And that would make sense since if you decide not to change the measurement unit, the car should still recognize the speed limit.

so randomly your car picks up a 10KM/HR sign? interesting.
Old 05-20-2016, 05:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow the full gauge and temp gauge arena the wrong place So funny how you get used to something so quickly.
Old 05-21-2016, 03:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 245 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by Zoich
Interesting.... I guess that makes sense. Speed limit sign recognition is independent of whether you're in Miles mode or KM mode. And that would make sense since if you decide not to change the measurement unit, the car should still recognize the speed limit.

so randomly your car picks up a 10KM/HR sign? interesting.
It's not always 10 but it's always a number that's in mph instead of km/h. Once in a while after starting the car it thinks it's in ROW with the round speed limit sign, shortly after (usually after the first update based on camera or map data) it switches to US square speed limit signs. In this case it started with the round 10 and moments later it switched to a square 10 before it finally figured that the speed limit is 40mph.
Old 05-21-2016, 04:24 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm beginning to wonder about the intelligence of this so called "Traffic Sign Recognition".
I was traveling on a two lane road which actually is a major N/S artery in our area. I passed a sign for an upcoming intersection which said "IL 68". It was placed on the right shoulder & it was the same size & in the same location as a speed limit sign. Just after I passed it the speed limit display changed from 55 (which was accurate) to 65 (guess it thought the 8 was a sloppy 5). Just past that intersection a regular speed sign appeared & the display went back to what it was supposed to be.
In all seriousness - it's a feature I actually like since around here speed limits tend to fluctuate greatly at the whims of local politicians. No way the GPS database can keep up.

Quick Reply: Canadian Q7 virtual cockpit questions