Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Car turning off by itself when park?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2017, 01:27 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Yes. I tried it a few times that way, and once with removing my foot.

So the question is - is this a real thing that sometimes happens, or maybe when it happens I turned off the car, forgot that I did, and tried to turn it off again.
Old 10-25-2017, 03:06 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 44 Likes on 31 Posts

This is all dependent if Auto Stop / start is on or not. If it is off then you have to worry about none of this the car will turn off when you hit the button like normal. But with auto start feature on when you stop the car and put it in park, apply parking brake and take your foot off the brake or open the door the needle will go from ready to off letting you know that you car is off it would also tell you in a dash well in Virtual cockpit that the Auto Stop feature cannot be used cuz the car is off or ignition turns off automatically.

Last edited by Dasaint; 11-01-2017 at 12:09 AM.
Old 10-26-2017, 05:32 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 68 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Eppieguy
If people have nothing helpful to add why bother, we all know we can find answers in the manual but sometimes while sitting at your office, or wherever, you may not have access to the manual and a question pops in your head, and you ask yourself " I wonder if other forum members have this issue / question". Nothing wrong with that in my opinion.
Just FYI, you can see your owner's manual online by entering your VIN here: Audi Online Owner's Manual
Old 10-26-2017, 06:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dasaint
This is all dependent if Auto Stop / start is on or not. If it is off then you have to worry about none of this the car will turn off when you hit the button like normal.
We acknowledged that. That is what a normal car would do. Makes complete logical sense.

Originally Posted by Dasaint
But with auto start feature on when you stop the car and put it in park apply parking brake at take your foot off the brake or open the door and the needle will go from ready to off letting you know that you car is off it would also tell you in a dash well in Virtual cockpit that the Auto Stop feature cannot be used cuz the car is off or ignition turns off automatically.
As I previously said, I believe this is a stupid "feature" we should be able to disable. I don't look at the little gauge to determine if it's "ready" or "off" or "auto-off on", etc. before exiting the car. When I park the car and press "Off", the vehicle should shut down. Plain and simple. I want the gauge cluster black and shutdown. That to me means the vehicle is Off.
Old 10-26-2017, 06:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by rsilvers129
Yes. I tried it a few times that way, and once with removing my foot.

So the question is - is this a real thing that sometimes happens, or maybe when it happens I turned off the car, forgot that I did, and tried to turn it off again.
When performing these "tests," ensure you are driving around between tests.

Old 10-26-2017, 06:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by RickObe
Just FYI, you can see your owner's manual online by entering your VIN here: Audi Online Owner's Manual
Thanks Rick, I do know that and I'm sure that information you shared will help others as well. I was more referring to the non-helpful post that you can find the information in your owners manual, that is not helpful when somebody is asking a question.

Just my .02
Old 10-26-2017, 07:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by rsilvers129
I was giving a second thought to this and think it's a real possibility for the both of us if the car/gauge cluster does indeed go from ready --> off when you press the "on/off" button.

I think what's happening is:
1. I stop, press Park, engine shuts off automatically, gauges go to "ready."
2. I press on/off button to turn off the vehicle's ignition, gauges go to "off."
3. I gather my stuff.
4. I go to exit the vehicle and gauge cluster (virtual cockpit), air conditioning, radio, navigation screen, etc. are all still on.
5. I'm not looking at the RPM gauge pointing to off vs. ready.
6. I hit the on/off button, engine restarts.

All of this is possible.
Old 11-01-2017, 12:05 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Trevor K
We acknowledged that. That is what a normal car would do. Makes complete logical sense.

As I previously said, I believe this is a stupid "feature" we should be able to disable. I don't look at the little gauge to determine if it's "ready" or "off" or "auto-off on", etc. before exiting the car. When I park the car and press "Off", the vehicle should shut down. Plain and simple. I want the gauge cluster black and shutdown. That to me means the vehicle is Off.
You can disable. Disable auto stop/start when you use the vehicle or code your auto stop/start permantly off. Stupid feature disabled. Nothing to look at or worry about. Problem solved.
Old 11-01-2017, 12:38 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I was giving a second thought to this and think it's a real possibility for the both of us if the car/gauge cluster does indeed go from ready --> off when you press the "on/off" button.

I think what's happening is:
1. I stop, press Park, engine shuts off automatically, gauges go to "ready."
2. I press on/off button to turn off the vehicle's ignition, gauges go to "off." (if your foot is off the brake hit the on/off button everything should shut down, with your foot on the brake and hitting on/off button the engine will restart)
3. I gather my stuff.
4. I go to exit the vehicle and gauge cluster (virtual cockpit), air conditioning, radio, navigation screen, etc. are all still on.
5. I'm not looking at the RPM gauge pointing to off vs. ready.
6. I hit the on/off button, engine restarts.

All of thhis is possible.
When you put the car in park with the start/stop system in the stop state and then leave the car without pressing the on/ff button basically the auto ignition off kicks in ie "off" on dash. As the manual say parking light will remain on the car for 30 min or until you lock it. I know when I do it the MMI stays on for a while as well until I lock it then it all shuts down

Last edited by Dasaint; 11-01-2017 at 12:40 AM.
Old 11-02-2017, 09:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Question - if the car worked as you wanted it to then how would it know that when the pressed the button you really wanted everything vs you changed you’re mind about parking and actually wanted the car back on so you could drive off again? Maybe saw a better parking spot, changed mind on stopping, etc.

Quick Reply: Car turning off by itself when park?