Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

CD/DVD player: Why did it take me so long to realize I had one?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2018, 11:30 AM
Audi Q7 Prestige'18 Owner

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default CD/DVD player: Why did it take me so long to realize I had one?

OK... I just realized this past week (after over 5 months) that there IS a CD/DVD player in the glove compartment. For some reason, I thought that the only ways to play music & videos was via Phone or memory card.
hahahaha
Just started importing some of our favorite CDs into the Jukebox.
Old 05-15-2018, 11:35 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Did you code your Q7, how are you able to import your CDs?
Old 05-15-2018, 06:26 PM
Audi Q7 Prestige'18 Owner

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by hayde_bre
Did you code your Q7, how are you able to import your CDs?
No, i did not code the Q7... just put the CD in, and chose the menu option to RIP them into the car.. now they are there without the physical CD in the player.
Old 05-15-2018, 09:12 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Hmm.. Did you get your Q in Canada? We discussed this issue here. I am still baffled how you are able to rip CDs into MMI On-Board storage?
Old 05-15-2018, 11:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Btw is three any advantages to ripping via the CD player vs just putting your music on an SD card
Old 05-16-2018, 01:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have over 80 CD's on a SD Card. You can place your music into folders ( i.e. Bruce, Allman bros , U2 etc) leveraging a PC. However the ability to end an album and start with the nx consecutive one does not exist. The program brings you back to the beginning of the alphabet .. Not very intuitive
i believe the juke box only holds up to 10g Obviously a SD card is much larger
I have yet to place CD's on the juke box and curious if you have better selections / options
Old 05-16-2018, 05:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by hammer458
I have over 80 CD's on a SD Card. You can place your music into folders ( i.e. Bruce, Allman bros , U2 etc) leveraging a PC. However the ability to end an album and start with the nx consecutive one does not exist. The program brings you back to the beginning of the alphabet .. Not very intuitive
i believe the juke box only holds up to 10g Obviously a SD card is much larger
I have yet to place CD's on the juke box and curious if you have better selections / options
You can create playlists for this. I've just done it with windows media player, but I think you can just make a simple text file with relative paths to each file on a line. (the other alternative would be just do folders as playlists, you can prepend the file with a number just use leading zeros to be safe or likely it will alpha sort rather than numeric. (ie 1 - < name>, 10 - <name>, 11 - <name>, 2 - <name> ) instead of ( 01, 02, 10, 11)

I'll mention the following caveats with playlists because whoever wrote this software clearly never used it:
1. when you start the car you will see the 'loading' screen about 98% of the time until the track changes.
2. it seems like if you have a playlist named "myfavs" (or w/e) and you update it, the car must read the original one into cache and will not process the updated playlist, if anyone knows how to reset this I'd appreciate it, otherwise renaming to "myfavs1" fixes the problem
2 more issues not playlist specific:
3. the cd sounds better to my ears (its subtle and I don't think I could identify in a vacuum but switching back and forth between the same song I can hear a difference)
4. there's a 1 second or so pause between tracks, only noticeable if you're listening to a cd where the tracks segue together. (eg: Dark side of the moon)
Old 05-16-2018, 08:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hayde_bre
Hmm.. Did you get your Q in Canada? We discussed this issue here. I am still baffled how you are able to rip CDs into MMI On-Board storage?
Owner's manual page 227.
Old 05-16-2018, 09:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

5 months???, you are better than me. i discovered mine after 22 months. we watched a movie in the Q7 with my wife in the forest last week
Old 05-16-2018, 12:07 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Rjim
Owner's manual page 227.
Did you check the link above? It says you cannot do it. I actually tried it myself against below notice, and there is no option to import CDs when you put a store-bought CD into the CD drive. Could be different if they were created/burned at Home, though.

Last edited by hayde_bre; 05-16-2018 at 12:10 PM.

Quick Reply: CD/DVD player: Why did it take me so long to realize I had one?