Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Close encounter of a third kind - deer.

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2017, 06:19 PM
DKV
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Close encounter of a third kind - deer.

Two nights ago I manged to shoot through a group of deer on I86 without hitting anything but is was to close for comfort.

I have hit deer before with other vehicles and the bill can be staggering.

Does any one here have bull bars of grill protectors mounted.

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-04-2017, 11:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Bull bars on alluminium curb vechicle is not an option at all.
I have passive safety system on my Q7 - Night Vision assistant (btw, it works during day ligth as well).
It is programmed to identify animals and people way before you see them, and sounds early warning/alarm.
As my brother said, without this Night Vision, my new Q7 would be just another ordinary car, but Nigth Vision makes it as a strategic weapon.
Some times I go out with my kids to see the wild animals in late evenings. It is such a fun, once we counted around 200 different wild animals only during 1 hour drive time and 30 km distance. Without Nigth Vision you woudn't even notice them in the dark that they are near the road. Once we encountered group of wild boars, I didn't seen them for years, we stopped, and they crossed road just in fron of car. Such a experience for my kids, and me as well.
Highly recomend this Nigth Vision option, it works on very long distances, I would say miles.
Old 01-05-2017, 12:02 AM
DKV
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Atvars
Bull bars on alluminium curb vechicle is not an option at all.
I have passive safety system on my Q7 - Night Vision assistant (btw, it works during day ligth as well).
It is programmed to identify animals and people way before you see them, and sounds early warning/alarm.
As my brother said, without this Night Vision, my new Q7 would be just another ordinary car, but Nigth Vision makes it as a strategic weapon.
Some times I go out with my kids to see the wild animals in late evenings. It is such a fun, once we counted around 200 different wild animals only during 1 hour drive time and 30 km distance. Without Nigth Vision you woudn't even notice them in the dark that they are near the road. Once we encountered group of wild boars, I didn't seen them for years, we stopped, and they crossed road just in fron of car. Such a experience for my kids, and me as well.
Highly recomend this Nigth Vision option, it works on very long distances, I would say miles.

I hear what you are saying. But...! Here in the US there are very few cars available with the night vision. My dealer could not find one on the entire east coast and I could not wait six mo. for special order.
Old 01-05-2017, 04:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 83 Likes on 63 Posts

Night Vision can be retrofited. If you do it yourself and buy used parts it can cost around $1,500. Of course you have to be good with tools and coding.
Old 01-05-2017, 04:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Not so simple.
There are a lot of parts to be changed/added.
1. Light switch on/off module.
2. Possibly whole front grill (Night Vision camera is located inside first from right Audi ring, along with own washing nuzzle)
3. Passiv thermo camera itself (they are quite expensive). This is not short range infra-red camera.
4. Possiblly some control unit
And a lot of programming to integrate it into car's brains.
Btw, it cannot be used in stealth-mode, when you switch off lights, Night Vision also deactivates.
Old 01-05-2017, 05:04 AM
DKV
AudiWorld Member

So let go back to some front end protection.