Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Dashcam Install via mirrortap - success!

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2016, 02:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 42 Likes on 25 Posts
Default hased

Originally Posted by Peter Williams
Yea I actually took a gamble and bought this one instead of the one you linked.

At worst, it was the wrong plug and I would just splice together the BlackVue cable because the taps are still the same.

But yes, I have it installed. The plug is right size.
Originally Posted by AudiA4B6US
I can confirm that the one Peter linked works in the A4 B9, just installed my Blackvue using that cable.
Thanks Peter Williams and AudiA4B6US. I purchased the RadarMount cable from Amazon and it was a perfect install of another Blackvue unit on our RS7. As you said, no stripping and splicing. Just plug-and-play and this time it literally took 10 minutes. Easiest hardwire ever!

One thing to note though is that the RadarMount cable is on the short side. I didn't measure exactly how long, but while it was the perfect length for where I mounted it on the RS7, it would definitely be too short if you mounted it further away like where I did in our Q7 and still have it exit the mirror trim piece at the base of where it articulates. If you mount the blackvue closer to the top edge of the windshield slightly above the rearview mirror, then it's definitely too short for that. So if you need more flexibility in dashcam placement being further away from the base of the rearview mirror, then making your own cable as I did the first time is still the way to go.

I will update my original post on this thread with this info.

Old 09-06-2016, 02:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Very cool.

There are so many cameras in cars these days, I wonder why the mfrs don't just put a DVR function right into the car. Combined with in-car hotspots, you could just download video from a built-in DVR to your phone, or DropBox or whatever.
Old 09-09-2016, 08:56 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very useful post! I am a new comer to dashcam and choosing between Thinkware F770 and Blackvue GW650s.

I am wondering if the power barrel connector of the RadarMount cable is also a plug-and-play to the Thinkware one? I want off-the-shelf product and am afraid of doing my own because I am not technical enough.

Thanks.
Old 09-09-2016, 09:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by larryV
Thanks Peter Williams and AudiA4B6US. I purchased the RadarMount cable from Amazon and it was a perfect install of another Blackvue unit on our RS7. As you said, no stripping and splicing. Just plug-and-play and this time it literally took 10 minutes. Easiest hardwire ever!
Is the wiring color the same for your RS7 as the Q7? (i.e. yellow for red, brown for black)

I have a previous generation S4 (2012) and I wonder if I could apply your instruction for Q7 on my S4. My Q7 won't arrive until November.
Old 09-09-2016, 10:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by javp1
Is the wiring color the same for your RS7 as the Q7? (i.e. yellow for red, brown for black)

I have a previous generation S4 (2012) and I wonder if I could apply your instruction for Q7 on my S4. My Q7 won't arrive until November.
Slightly different. On the RS7, the ground wire was also brown, but the 12v accessory power was 2-colored red/black wire.

You can use any cheap multimeter to probe and test these out if uncertain.
Old 09-10-2016, 06:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Slightly different. On the RS7, the ground wire was also brown, but the 12v accessory power was 2-colored red/black wire.

Thanks larryV. I was able to install dr650s using the RadarMount cable from Amazon on my 2012 S4, and the wiring color is the same as your RS7, where ground wire is brown, and the power wire is red/black.
Old 09-11-2016, 07:28 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hi Larry,

I noticed that there is a yellow/blue wire that goes to the same slot as your harness. May I know if yours isn't pure yellow? Thanks.

Old 09-11-2016, 01:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by lmk2008
Hi Larry,

I noticed that there is a yellow/blue wire that goes to the same slot as your harness. May I know if yours isn't pure yellow? Thanks.
On the Q7, it's not a yellow/blue wire. It's just an all yellow wire except the iPhone's lower quality imaging sensor is showing some chromatic aberration that results in blue fringing on the yellow wire.
Old 09-11-2016, 01:43 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just picked up the blackvue-dr650s-2ch. Any suggestions on how to run the cable for the rear camera?
Old 09-11-2016, 02:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Maurice Lin
Just picked up the blackvue-dr650s-2ch. Any suggestions on how to run the cable for the rear camera?
I had planned to do the 650S rear camera shortly after installing the front one, but my first attempt to run it along the roof trim along the rubber seals towards the back seemed ill-advised after watching some crash-test vids on the Q7 which reveal that the side-curtain air bags deploy out of the same seam. I will have to dig around further and go with a lower route, possibly along the trim along door sills is a better alternative. Will work on it again whenever I get some free time...

Quick Reply: Dashcam Install via mirrortap - success!