Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Does replacing a HUD windshield cost more than a non-HUD windshield?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2017, 03:51 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does replacing a HUD windshield cost more than a non-HUD windshield?

Where I live, it's pretty typical to get a cracked windshield every 6 months or so.

Does replacing the HUD windshield on a Prestige Package cost more than a regular windshield?

If so, I should probably skip the Prestige since I expect to go through quite a few windshields...

Thanks!
Old 02-14-2017, 03:57 PM
Ultimate Keyboard Warrior

Received 284 Likes on 204 Posts

All I know is I owned 2 Corvettes; one with HUD, one without. The HUD equipped windshield was quite a bit more expensive.
Old 02-14-2017, 04:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Force-1
All I know is I owned 2 Corvettes; one with HUD, one without. The HUD equipped windshield was quite a bit more expensive.
The HUD windshield is somewhere around $1,200 to replace I believe...
Old 02-15-2017, 05:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Force-1
Agreed, the Corvette uses a different windshield for HUD but many have replaced the windshields with non HUD windshields and noticed very little difference. Not sure about Audi but I'd assume it's a different windshield as well.
Old 02-15-2017, 06:37 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

My insurance deductible was the same regardless (USAA). The windshild and labor cost my insurance company between $1,100-$1,200, but you also have to take it to the dealer to have the driver's assistance camera re-aligned (if you have that feature), which costs about $600, but it too was covered by my single deductible.
Old 02-15-2017, 06:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I had to replace my windshield 3 times within a few months on my X5 with HUD and let me tell you, your insurance has ZERO desire to put the right windshield in even once, let alone 3 times. They fought me about using an OEM one until I convinced them it would interfere with my HUD and got the glass guys to back that up... And if you have to replace your windshield 3 times in a few months, plan on getting a different insurance company afterwards as they will f' you on glass coverage and jack your rates up. It's not like I was trying to get stone chips in my glass but just bad luck... Take that into consideration when replacing.

-John

Edit to add: The OEM windshield that was optimized for my HUD was significantly more expensive than aftermarket glass (near double, if memory serves)
Old 02-16-2017, 05:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My insurance company will allow me to take my vehicle anywhere to get my windshield replaced, so I decide who does the work and what windshield they use. I typically just go to the dealer for my higher end vehicles.
Old 02-23-2017, 08:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

I just got off the phone with my insurance company for a glass claim. I did ask for an OEM windshield but I didn't request to take it to the dealer because they said it could be done on site at my wife's office. I am just wondering if I need to have the dealer do the windshield now since the camera will need to be recalibrated. What will the outcome of not having the camera recalibrated? I don't have DAP on my vehicle.
Old 02-23-2017, 03:25 PM
Ultimate Keyboard Warrior

Received 284 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by TDI Brad
I just got off the phone with my insurance company for a glass claim. I did ask for an OEM windshield but I didn't request to take it to the dealer because they said it could be done on site at my wife's office. I am just wondering if I need to have the dealer do the windshield now since the camera will need to be recalibrated. What will the outcome of not having the camera recalibrated? I don't have DAP on my vehicle.
Few dealers, if any, replace glass--they sub it out. So the same person who comes to you could be the same who does it at the dealer.
Old 02-24-2017, 05:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

I have a dime sized star like crack in the windshield and I wish they would just fix it with the resin that fills the cracks but insurance wont do that because the crack is in my line of sight. I assume its a liability thing so instead of the $100 fix they will go with $1200 fix plus however much the calibration cost. I think it is kind of a waste because I will most like get another rock chip in the windshield eventually especially with all the dump trucks hauling stone up and down the road, there is a quarry on the road I take to go to and from work.

Quick Reply: Does replacing a HUD windshield cost more than a non-HUD windshield?