Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Drive System Malfunction?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2021, 02:30 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As a follow-up to my initial post: we were able to rule out the shutter system as being the cause of the problem. It turned out I had a bad plug and after that was replaced I have driven close to 2000 miles without any issues.

But I will be keeping an eye on these other issues that are brought up in the thread. Thanks everyone for your feedback.
Old 06-28-2021, 10:06 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Ryan,

My luck with the Audi Henderson and AoA was zero.

Unfortunate really.

I know others in this post from other states had this fixed, but was only able to provide service record of it being fixed by a member from California, to which AoA said that it fell under Ca emissions and not the Federal Emissions Warranty. If you have any luck, please let me know.

Thanks.
Old 07-12-2021, 03:01 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is currently happing to our 2019 A4. Dealer (using Audi roadside Care) had it towed to the nearest dealer (and they kept it 3 weeks) only had excuses and no solution except they tightened (2) plugs. After less than 2 days back from shop same thing happened again, car runs very rough, shakes like a top fuel dragster on nitrous and will only travel about 2-5 mph and now going back to the dealer where we purchased the car
Old 07-12-2021, 07:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,201 Likes on 934 Posts

Originally Posted by sampop58
This is currently happing to our 2019 A4. Dealer (using Audi roadside Care) had it towed to the nearest dealer (and they kept it 3 weeks) only had excuses and no solution except they tightened (2) plugs. After less than 2 days back from shop same thing happened again, car runs very rough, shakes like a top fuel dragster on nitrous and will only travel about 2-5 mph and now going back to the dealer where we purchased the car
I am going to guess you either have a bad injector, bad coil pack, or bad spark plug. Or some combination of that. Keep us posted. But I don't think it would be related to the radiator grill shutter actuator failing (and don't even know if you have one), but I have seen stranger things happen... LOL.
Old 07-13-2021, 04:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 64 Likes on 62 Posts

This happened to me a few days ago. I was at a stop light turning left and the engine had shut off. I punched it to make the arrow and it started up and immediately shuddered and rumbled. The drive system malfunction error came on. I kept driving a block to the next light. I turned it off, waited 10 seconds and restarted. It drove fine the rest of the trip. It hasn’t happened since. All the plugs and coils were replaced within 500 miles. I hope it was a one time occurrence.
Old 07-23-2021, 03:46 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Just had the air shutter code problem on our 2017 Q7, i.e. fault P05A00. The dealer in SoCal used TSB 2048402/8 and repaired it under the 1E1 8/80 warranty. Our vehicle has 38K miles. The dealer did wheel alignment and ACC radar calibration as called for in the TSB. I don't know what the cost would have been if not under warranty, but north of $2K no doubt. Unfortunately the dealer also diagnosed leaking motor mounts, so that is a $2K repair.
Old 07-25-2021, 05:50 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

this error came up for me yesterday when driving no the highway taking the family to the beach . i plan to drop it off today since service center is closed on sunday. can you please point me to the TSB that enabled you to get it covered under the federal emissions warrant?
Old 07-25-2021, 05:53 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by mhoran89
That is over $5k now I have saved folks. My venmo @ is the same as my username here...

Glad I could help more fellow Q7 owners out. It's a shame these cars have this issue... but what is worse is how the dealers don't look to help the consumers and put it back on AoA when something like this happens... I guess that is what these forums are for!
hi there, i have this same issue and have to drop off my car after hours today. can you pelase point me to the document that has saved so many members here from payin gout of pocket? appreciate it.
Old 07-26-2021, 06:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,201 Likes on 934 Posts

Originally Posted by owens
Just had the air shutter code problem on our 2017 Q7, i.e. fault P05A00. The dealer in SoCal used TSB 2048402/8 and repaired it under the 1E1 8/80 warranty. Our vehicle has 38K miles. The dealer did wheel alignment and ACC radar calibration as called for in the TSB. I don't know what the cost would have been if not under warranty, but north of $2K no doubt. Unfortunately the dealer also diagnosed leaking motor mounts, so that is a $2K repair.
Originally Posted by videsi
this error came up for me yesterday when driving no the highway taking the family to the beach . i plan to drop it off today since service center is closed on sunday. can you please point me to the TSB that enabled you to get it covered under the federal emissions warrant?
Originally Posted by videsi
hi there, i have this same issue and have to drop off my car after hours today. can you pelase point me to the document that has saved so many members here from payin gout of pocket? appreciate it.
Please see the TSB number in "owens" post above. If not, you can take this in with you to the dealer. It is many pages earlier in this thread. You're welcome.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...44971-9999.pdf
The following users liked this post:
videsi (07-26-2021)
Old 07-26-2021, 06:13 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default dealer said not covered under fed emissions warranty :(

Quick Reply: Drive System Malfunction?