Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Drive System Malfunction?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2021, 06:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,201 Likes on 934 Posts

Originally Posted by Nat.kho
Hi, how do I know if my q7 is tuned or not? Not sure if this is a dumb question or not,, I'm a female and my husband doesn't speak English, translating car language is difficult. Ours had a CEL aome on than (code says shutter grille needs to be replaced) and almost every time we drive it the Drive System Malfunction comes on. It's auto start stop function. We are in WA state. Will the federal emissions warranty cover the cost? If I print the pdf file that's on the feed that should prove to them they need to cover the cost? I'm going in on Thursday to have them check it out... thanks
Did your husband modify the car's software to increase power and make it faster? If not, you car is not tuned.
Old 02-05-2022, 03:48 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I, too, am experiencing this malfunction along with the CEL illuminated (started yesterday - service closed until Monday). Briefly drove the car again today and the drive system malfunction came right back on. SA said fine to drive until Monday unless the CEL starts flashing.

Oddly, over the past couple of weeks leading up to this, my 2017 Q7 Prestige has been throwing all sorts of weird errors. It was just at the dealer for auto start/stop malfunction - car would take 2-3 tries to start for about 12 hours. That stopped and didn’t happen again until yesterday’s new errors occurred. Other malfunctions I’ve seen since that time are side assist and pre-sense. Those two always happen simultaneously… on a road trip last weekend, it happened 5 different times in 3 hours. It would reset on its own and work, then malfunction again. Lost all blind spot monitoring each time it malfunctioned.

Do you think they are all related, or just circumstantial?

I am out of the EW, sadly. My car has 112k miles. I’ve owned it since brand new, always serviced at Audi, perfectly maintained.

Thanks for any input.
Old 02-07-2022, 09:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by JessRega
I, too, am experiencing this malfunction along with the CEL illuminated (started yesterday - service closed until Monday). Briefly drove the car again today and the drive system malfunction came right back on. SA said fine to drive until Monday unless the CEL starts flashing.

Oddly, over the past couple of weeks leading up to this, my 2017 Q7 Prestige has been throwing all sorts of weird errors. It was just at the dealer for auto start/stop malfunction - car would take 2-3 tries to start for about 12 hours. That stopped and didn’t happen again until yesterday’s new errors occurred. Other malfunctions I’ve seen since that time are side assist and pre-sense. Those two always happen simultaneously… on a road trip last weekend, it happened 5 different times in 3 hours. It would reset on its own and work, then malfunction again. Lost all blind spot monitoring each time it malfunctioned.

Do you think they are all related, or just circumstantial?

I am out of the EW, sadly. My car has 112k miles. I’ve owned it since brand new, always serviced at Audi, perfectly maintained.

Thanks for any input.
can you get the car to autozone or similar and have them scan the codes (don't reset them) on your car and report back? thanks.
Old 02-07-2022, 10:15 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

It’s at the dealer as we speak! No word as of yet… they’re driving it now waiting for the drive system malfunction to come on. I found that I needed to drive 10-15 minutes before it would pop up, which it did, like clockwork.
Old 02-07-2022, 03:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by JessRega
It’s at the dealer as we speak! No word as of yet… they’re driving it now waiting for the drive system malfunction to come on. I found that I needed to drive 10-15 minutes before it would pop up, which it did, like clockwork.
that message can be from many different issues. please report back when you have more info. wishing you best of luck.
Old 02-13-2022, 10:10 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Hello everyone

I have this happened to me and it’s been a week since I’m driving with that warning ⚠️ light and it’s still there also car don’t have power feels like I drive Toyota Corolla lol
Old 02-21-2022, 09:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Audioutlaw
I have this happened to me and it’s been a week since I’m driving with that warning ⚠️ light and it’s still there also car don’t have power feels like I drive Toyota Corolla lol
year of your q7? miles? have you had the codes scanned? are you going to take it to a dealership? please let us help you. thanks.
Old 02-21-2022, 01:24 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Audioutlaw
That's not a Q7 - A6 or A8 it looks like. All of those warnings are trying to tell you something..... If it doesn't have power either it's probably in some sort of limp mode. Based on your limited comments (driving it in a compromised condition), I would tell you to take it to a dealer or a tech that works on Audi's.
Old 02-21-2022, 02:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 811 Likes on 619 Posts

Originally Posted by ameoba
That's not a Q7 - A6 or A8 it looks like. All of those warnings are trying to tell you something..... If it doesn't have power either it's probably in some sort of limp mode. Based on your limited comments (driving it in a compromised condition), I would tell you to take it to a dealer or a tech that works on Audi's.
This is A4 or A5.
Old 02-28-2022, 02:19 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks so much @mhoran89! I just had the same issue and the dealer tried to charge me $1900 for the shutter repair and another $300 for a "software update". I mentioned the federal emissions warranty and the claim code 1e1. The service advisor first denied it, so I had them escalate it to the service manager or foreman. 10 minutes later I got a call saying "I've never seen this, but it looks like its covered. We will do the whole TSB and repair it for free".

So I just Venmo'd you $50 in beer money! Thanks so much!
The following 2 users liked this post by ryanpfutz:
mbs (02-28-2022), mhoran89 (03-01-2022)

Quick Reply: Drive System Malfunction?