Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Drive System Malfunction?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2022, 07:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Kidentist
Just this weekend I had a similar issue come up this weekend. Sadly the result was much, much worse as it appears that one of the valves on Cylinder #1 "went through and caused extensive damage" per Service Tech. I am still trying to get all the information and in absolute shock as to how a VERY well maintained Q7 (2018) with only 58K miles had such a catastrophic failure. I will start a thread soon as soon as I know more, but definitely keep an eye on those "CELs".
So......After about 3 months I got my vehicle back. I was very pleased with my Dealer and AOA, as they "took care of it" so I had to pay $0. During that time I also got a cute little loaner from my dealer (new Q3) which served its purpose, and tbh I enjoyed. So what happened? To keep things short, it appears that a valve failed and damaged part of the cylinder, my understanding is that they "replaced the entire bank" on that side of the engine.
After I Took the car back and drove it for a couple of weeks...............Wham.............again a check engine light. No loss of power or shaking this time, but I did have them look at it and it was a failed injector. $1500 later (yes this time it was on me) I picked up my car (yesterday) and so far so good. We drive it quite a bit (over 60K miles) as it is our family hauler, and most of our trips take us from Central WA to the Puget Sound area. I am planning a road trip this summer, so I am going to keep a close eye on it. I don't know why this happened, as I mentioned earlier, we take very good care of our cars (even the dealer stated that many times), but it is what it is. Once this whole crazy market has calmed down, I will probable replace my Q7, but for now it stays.
Old 03-01-2022, 11:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,202 Likes on 935 Posts

Originally Posted by ryanpfutz
Thanks so much @mhoran89! I just had the same issue and the dealer tried to charge me $1900 for the shutter repair and another $300 for a "software update". I mentioned the federal emissions warranty and the claim code 1e1. The service advisor first denied it, so I had them escalate it to the service manager or foreman. 10 minutes later I got a call saying "I've never seen this, but it looks like its covered. We will do the whole TSB and repair it for free".

So I just Venmo'd you $50 in beer money! Thanks so much!
thanks man, you didn't have to do that but it is greatly appreciated. glad to see your dealer stepped up and did the right thing for you!

Originally Posted by Kidentist
So......After about 3 months I got my vehicle back. I was very pleased with my Dealer and AOA, as they "took care of it" so I had to pay $0. During that time I also got a cute little loaner from my dealer (new Q3) which served its purpose, and tbh I enjoyed. So what happened? To keep things short, it appears that a valve failed and damaged part of the cylinder, my understanding is that they "replaced the entire bank" on that side of the engine.
After I Took the car back and drove it for a couple of weeks...............Wham.............again a check engine light. No loss of power or shaking this time, but I did have them look at it and it was a failed injector. $1500 later (yes this time it was on me) I picked up my car (yesterday) and so far so good. We drive it quite a bit (over 60K miles) as it is our family hauler, and most of our trips take us from Central WA to the Puget Sound area. I am planning a road trip this summer, so I am going to keep a close eye on it. I don't know why this happened, as I mentioned earlier, we take very good care of our cars (even the dealer stated that many times), but it is what it is. Once this whole crazy market has calmed down, I will probable replace my Q7, but for now it stays.
sorry to hear you had issues, but this does not seem related to the grille/radiator shutter motor failures.
Old 03-02-2022, 06:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by ryanpfutz
Thanks so much @mhoran89! I just had the same issue and the dealer tried to charge me $1900 for the shutter repair and another $300 for a "software update". I mentioned the federal emissions warranty and the claim code 1e1. The service advisor first denied it, so I had them escalate it to the service manager or foreman. 10 minutes later I got a call saying "I've never seen this, but it looks like its covered. We will do the whole TSB and repair it for free".

So I just Venmo'd you $50 in beer money! Thanks so much!
What state are you in? A state covered by federal emissions?
Old 03-03-2022, 06:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by andrewbrion
What state are you in? A state covered by federal emissions?
I am sorry but isn't it called "Federal Emissions Warranty"? I just don't understand how states skirt around this... they do though. I know my dealer in NH will fix this for me for free since I live in MA but if a NH resident comes in to the dealer to get it fixed they said they won't touch it for free.
Old 03-24-2022, 06:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Dealership pushback

Brought my 2017 Q7 with 75k miles in. CEL is throwing code P05A0 - active shutter motor failure - causing start/stop error as others have described. I dropped it off at the dealership yesterday. The Service advisor became really rude when I said it would be covered under federal emissions warranty ... "there's no such warranty. I don't know where you're getting your information from. You don't have an extended warranty with Audi." I showed him the TSB with the warranty information. He said my car wasn't covered by the "1E1" 8 year/80k warranty in his system and that the 1E1 warranty "must be for California emissions," which I know is wrong because that's 7 years/70k.

I'm anticipating a call today with status and a bill of between $1k and $2,500 for this stupid shutter motor repair.

The law says that the emissions system is covered by a 2 year/24k warranty and only "specified major emissions control components" are covered for 8 years/80k. I would assume that the TSB mentioning the longer time period would mean that's what's applicable here, but I'm gearing up for a fight. I'm going to tell them this is causing drivability issues and will cause me to fail my state inspection. Assuming I don't get anywhere I'm going to ask for the dealer's warranty manager and then AOA if I don't get any assistance, right?
The following users liked this post:
andrewbrion (03-24-2022)
Old 03-24-2022, 10:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by BoxcuTTer
Brought my 2017 Q7 with 75k miles in. CEL is throwing code P05A0 - active shutter motor failure - causing start/stop error as others have described. I dropped it off at the dealership yesterday. The Service advisor became really rude when I said it would be covered under federal emissions warranty ... "there's no such warranty. I don't know where you're getting your information from. You don't have an extended warranty with Audi." I showed him the TSB with the warranty information. He said my car wasn't covered by the "1E1" 8 year/80k warranty in his system and that the 1E1 warranty "must be for California emissions," which I know is wrong because that's 7 years/70k.

I'm anticipating a call today with status and a bill of between $1k and $2,500 for this stupid shutter motor repair.

The law says that the emissions system is covered by a 2 year/24k warranty and only "specified major emissions control components" are covered for 8 years/80k. I would assume that the TSB mentioning the longer time period would mean that's what's applicable here, but I'm gearing up for a fight. I'm going to tell them this is causing drivability issues and will cause me to fail my state inspection. Assuming I don't get anywhere I'm going to ask for the dealer's warranty manager and then AOA if I don't get any assistance, right?
if your state requires an emissions inspection and you cannot pass with a CEL/MIL on and your car is under the 8yr/80k mark AoA should go to bat for you against your dealer as long as you plead your case that way. If you lived somewhere like FL with no vehicle inspection you would be completely SOL. Let us know what happens. I would not get any work done on the car and pay out of pocket until you know AoA won't pay for it because I feel it is a harder route to take to get reimbursement rather than have AoA call the dealer and tell them do it and we are covering it in the first place... in this case it is easier to ask for permission than forgiveness...
BoxcuTTer (03-25-2022)
Old 03-25-2022, 08:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mhoran89
if your state requires an emissions inspection and you cannot pass with a CEL/MIL on and your car is under the 8yr/80k mark AoA should go to bat for you against your dealer as long as you plead your case that way. If you lived somewhere like FL with no vehicle inspection you would be completely SOL. Let us know what happens. I would not get any work done on the car and pay out of pocket until you know AoA won't pay for it because I feel it is a harder route to take to get reimbursement rather than have AoA call the dealer and tell them do it and we are covering it in the first place... in this case it is easier to ask for permission than forgiveness...
Update: It's pretty much a victory. Yes, PA has an annual state inspection and a CEL is an automatic fail. They agreed to flash/update the computer and replace the shutter motor under the 8/80 warranty. HOWEVER, they said my water pump gasket was seeping and that can cause vacuum issues like the shutter failure. It sounds like BS to me, but I know these cars are preposterously overengineered. Given that I have 76k miles on the car, I don't want to have to deal with this again so I had them do the water pump while the front bumper was off the car. So, I'm out $1100 for the water pump, but I know it would have had to be done in the next 10k miles anyway.

Just wanted to thank @mhoran89 for his help. You have some Venmo $ as a small thank you for saving me between $1000 and $2500!
mhoran89 (03-25-2022)
Old 03-25-2022, 08:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by BoxcuTTer
Update: It's pretty much a victory. Yes, PA has an annual state inspection and a CEL is an automatic fail. They agreed to flash/update the computer and replace the shutter motor under the 8/80 warranty. HOWEVER, they said my water pump gasket was seeping and that can cause vacuum issues like the shutter failure. It sounds like BS to me, but I know these cars are preposterously overengineered. Given that I have 76k miles on the car, I don't want to have to deal with this again so I had them do the water pump while the front bumper was off the car. So, I'm out $1100 for the water pump, but I know it would have had to be done in the next 10k miles anyway.

Just wanted to thank @mhoran89 for his help. You have some Venmo $ as a small thank you for saving me between $1000 and $2500!
HAHA. I just saw it come through and ran to check this thread. My pleasure. This is exactly how it should have went. The leaking water pump has got nothing to do with the shutters.

What the TSB calls for is a flash of the computer to newer software. Once the ECU is flashed and the car is driven and throws the same codes and the issue still persists then they can go ahead and do the repairs under the E1E warranty. In my case since the car was flashed on APRs Stage 1 software and the first part of the TSB was to flash the car, they would TD1 flag me and then wouldn't be able to do any work on the car under the E1E clause after being TD1 flagged so I just paid them outright and got it done. What I will say is this is around $1200 but can be significantly more if your car has DAP. The dealer will push for a DAP calibration with a 4 wheel alignment which is $600 or more sometimes. Note this is all dependent on your area and labor rates.

Glad I could save you at least $1000 and get the dealer to own up. Glad to see if you take the right approach in a state with emissions inspection where a CEL is an immediate fail, they are stepping up.
BoxcuTTer (03-25-2022)
Old 03-28-2022, 09:52 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also got this message on Saturday. Mine is 22 Q7 Premium Plus. It was 1 minute in my drive going maybe 15 mph. I was not accelerating hard. I have about 450 miles so far. Temperature was a bit cold, maybe 35F outside.

So far it has not come back, but its only been 2 days. Has anyone gotten this on a 22?
Old 03-28-2022, 10:18 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mhoran89
that message can be from many different issues. please report back when you have more info. wishing you best of luck.
It was the shutter motor. Because of the mileage, I had to pay for the repair. Oh well. 😔 Got the car back, and almost immediately it starting rattling loudly from under the car. Back to the dealer, cracked muffler that had to be ordered from Germany.

I do love this vehicle, thank goodness!

Quick Reply: Drive System Malfunction?