Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Drive System Malfunction?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2022, 08:08 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 203 Likes on 161 Posts

I get that one and this one from my catless downpipes and bov spacers. Taking them off and returning to stock at the end of the month.
Old 08-29-2022, 07:36 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Well just got Drive System Warning light (2017 Q7 with 50K miles). Scanned and got P05A0 stuck open code. Thinking of replacing motor myself. Bumper will be no issue getting on and off. I have a VAGCOM which looks fairly easy to code motor (hopefully). My only questions would be: Do I need to have pre sense calibrated and would I need software update from Audi?
Old 08-30-2022, 07:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,202 Likes on 935 Posts

Originally Posted by cshocker
Well just got Drive System Warning light (2017 Q7 with 50K miles). Scanned and got P05A0 stuck open code. Thinking of replacing motor myself. Bumper will be no issue getting on and off. I have a VAGCOM which looks fairly easy to code motor (hopefully). My only questions would be: Do I need to have pre sense calibrated and would I need software update from Audi?
a software update probably not, but not a bad idea to pay your dealer one hour of labor for an update if one is available.
DAP sensor calibration is only required if the repair manual says so. If you have a 2017 with DAP and the dome looking sensors in the front bottom corners of the bumper, technically a DAP calibration and full 4 wheel alignment is required. whether you choose to do that or not is your prerogative.
Old 08-30-2022, 08:08 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by mhoran89
a software update probably not, but not a bad idea to pay your dealer one hour of labor for an update if one is available.
DAP sensor calibration is only required if the repair manual says so. If you have a 2017 with DAP and the dome looking sensors in the front bottom corners of the bumper, technically a DAP calibration and full 4 wheel alignment is required. whether you choose to do that or not is your prerogative.
Awesome. Thanks for the feedback.
Old 08-30-2022, 03:35 PM
Ultimate Keyboard Warrior

Received 284 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by cshocker
You would know as soon as you started the vehicle - it would throw error messages.
Old 08-31-2022, 10:10 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo replacement

I’ve had the drive select warnings come up for a few months now with the only noticeable issue the cruise control disables. Took it to the dealer for diagnostic and they just told me there is a faulty turbo (it’s the 2.0) and it will cost $4.5k to replace? Has anyone else experienced this problem and been told it’s the turbo. I’ve got no loss in power, drives as normal except as mentioned the cruise control disables.
Old 08-31-2022, 11:18 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by RyanTI
I am having the same issue and live in Las Vegas as well. Friday, 6/25/21, I entered the freeway after filling up with gas and the "Drive System Malfunction" warning came on. Soon after my Check Engine light came on. Knowing that Audi Henderson couldn't take me in for a couple days, I took it to a different Audi certified shop and they updated the software, thinking it would correct my P05a0 Grille Shutter Stuck On code issue. Once they completed, I left the shop and within 10 miles, the Drive System notification and the check engine light came back on. The shop says they may need to replace the grille shutter motor but the odd thing is that the grille shutter is not stuck. It appears to be working just fine. It is closed when the engine is cool and just starting up and then opens when up to temperature. It has functioned properly on at least 6 occasions so it is opening and closing. Have you heard anything back from Audi yet? I take my 2017 Q7 back to the shop Monday morning to see if they can figure it out.
Any update?
Old 10-03-2022, 12:49 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I HAD SAME PROBLEM WITH MY 2018 AUDI A 4. MY CAR WAS WORKING FINE ,MILEAGE 55 KM THEN I CHANGE ENGINE OIL MYSELF , WHEN I CHECKED OIL LEVEL IT CAME UP REDUCE OIL LEVEL , I DRIVE CAR FOR A WEEK I AND CHECKED AGAIN LEVEL WAS OK , BUT I NOTICED SOMETHING WRONG SPECIALLY UP ON HILL ,LIGHT CAME UP AS DRIVE MALFUNCTION, I LOOK ON GOOGLE DRIVE ME TO THIS SIT, SOME SAID TRANSITION MODULE, OR UPGRADE SOFTWARE ,AND SO,,,,, I KNEW THERE IS MISS FIRE ISSUE, THEN DECIDED TO CHANGE SPARKS, WHEN I OPENED THE COVER AND PULL OUT PLUGS NOTICED ARE FEALTY WITH OIL , CLEANED AND CHANGED SPARKS,ALSO FROM OIL FILTER TOOK OUT ABUT A CUP PROBLEM SOLVED ,YOU HAVE TO MAKE SURE NO EXTRA OIL IN ENGINE EVEN A CUP CAN CAUSE THIS MISS FIRE ISSUE. I AM DRIVING MY CAR ABUT 1 MOUNT NO PROBLEM AT ALL , AND RUNNING VERY WELL JUST WANTED TO SHARE ,WITH YOU GUYS,
Old 10-05-2022, 12:39 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Same here with Q5 2017.
Got these 3 errors with accompanying limp mode:

For me it happens on the highway driving more than 1.5hrs on greater speeds - 140+ km/h.
Went to the shop - they told me my turbine hose was broken and they replaced it for about $400.
Two days later - same thing again, all 3 errors. I got the slot in the shop in about 2 weeks and in the mean time Engine light turned off - car behaved normally.
When I managed to get to the shop - they said to come back when the Engine light was on...
Today - same thing. Again 3 errors, will be taking the car to the shop next week.

As it seems, I'll be paying the shop to debug the car for the next 6+ months and I really don't like it. Doesn't make sense they can't pinpoint the issue.
If anyone had similar situation (although, based on the thread above all situations seem similar) please let me know.
Old 10-15-2022, 03:58 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default How bout a 2021 TT RS!

Yep, got Drive System Malfunction alert, along with CEL. Car had under 10K miles. I took it to the local dealer where it sat for 5 weeks. They diagnosed a fuel pump sensor and replaced it. Picked the car up and within 30 min the alert came back while idling. Mechanically the car seems fine. Spent another week in service, where they ordered a full Fuel Pump Module from Germany and put that in. Alert is back for a 3rd time, and I'm worried that I've ended up with a lemon. Going in for Round 3. If they can't fix it I've already looked at my Lemon Law options... Sigh.

Quick Reply: Drive System Malfunction?