Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Drive System Malfunction?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2022, 10:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,202 Likes on 935 Posts

Originally Posted by TomRider
They originally quoted me around $1500 and told I should pay for the repair. I handed them a copy of the PDF (technical service bulletin) and told many from this forum got it done under 8yr/80,000 extension. The service director had to make a couple of phone calls before coming to an agreement.
that's exactly how it should work. the E1E FEW applies if you are in the right state and under the time/mileage. glad to see it worked out. feel free to send me a present via venmo (it's the same username) ; just kidding. Happy Holidays!
The following users liked this post:
TomRider (11-17-2022)
Old 11-17-2022, 11:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

It must be something in the air, but I just got this warning light and code now. Oh well, with 115k miles guess I'm going to figure out how to replace the shutter motor myself.
Old 11-18-2022, 10:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by GTPlus
It must be something in the air, but I just got this warning light and code now. Oh well, with 115k miles guess I'm going to figure out how to replace the shutter motor myself.
sorry to hear this. at 115K you are SOL with warranty coverage. if you are a good customer of Audi and your dealer likes you they might pickup the parts cost or something like that. worth a shot. you won't get anything from them if you don't ask...
Old 11-22-2022, 03:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Decided to take this on today. Ordered the part from the Audi dealer and surprisingly it was only $45.

To limit the possibility of needing the DAP alignments I marked every fastener to make sure they were back in the same position later. Once I got it all back together I was able to adapt the new motor with VCDS, which I was not able to do with the old motor. Everything else seems to function properly as well and so far no codes.

All in all was pretty easy. Even with taking my time only took about 2 hours.
The following users liked this post:
mbs (11-22-2022)
Old 11-23-2022, 09:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by GTPlus
Decided to take this on today. Ordered the part from the Audi dealer and surprisingly it was only $45.

To limit the possibility of needing the DAP alignments I marked every fastener to make sure they were back in the same position later. Once I got it all back together I was able to adapt the new motor with VCDS, which I was not able to do with the old motor. Everything else seems to function properly as well and so far no codes.

All in all was pretty easy. Even with taking my time only took about 2 hours.
ideally if you do it right it shouldn't require calibration, but the dealer will push for it if you do it there. for me it is a peace of mind thing because I don't need anything going wrong. glad to hear you can do it at home.
Old 04-17-2023, 10:55 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BoxcuTTer
Update: It's pretty much a victory. Yes, PA has an annual state inspection and a CEL is an automatic fail. They agreed to flash/update the computer and replace the shutter motor under the 8/80 warranty. HOWEVER, they said my water pump gasket was seeping and that can cause vacuum issues like the shutter failure. It sounds like BS to me, but I know these cars are preposterously overengineered. Given that I have 76k miles on the car, I don't want to have to deal with this again so I had them do the water pump while the front bumper was off the car. So, I'm out $1100 for the water pump, but I know it would have had to be done in the next 10k miles anyway.

Just wanted to thank @mhoran89 for his help. You have some Venmo $ as a small thank you for saving me between $1000 and $2500!
I just came across this post because my 2018 Q7 just started having the same issues. When i dropped off vehicle this morning, the SA refused to acknowledge the TSB and said my vehicle is not under warranty even though I am only at 70k miles. I see you are located near Philly, may I ask what dealership you took your vehicle to?
Old 04-17-2023, 02:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by jkang1010
I just came across this post because my 2018 Q7 just started having the same issues. When i dropped off vehicle this morning, the SA refused to acknowledge the TSB and said my vehicle is not under warranty even though I am only at 70k miles. I see you are located near Philly, may I ask what dealership you took your vehicle to?
I would tell them you're calling AoA and they can expect to hear from them. If they don't pony up take the car to the next closest dealer. The switching costs of 1 hour of your time to get the car to the next closest dealer is well worth $1200. let us know what happens.
Old 04-17-2023, 04:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by jkang1010
I go to Audi West Chester.
Old 04-18-2023, 05:48 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bp1203
I go to Audi West Chester.
Would you happen to have the invoice from your visit and/or can I perhaps have the SA or the name of person who verified it was covered under the warranty?

Thanks in advance, I am at Audi of Fort Washington and if they continue to refuse to acknowledge the warranty might tow it to West Chester.
Old 04-18-2023, 06:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I had to use my extended warranty-my factory warranty had expired...

Quick Reply: Drive System Malfunction?