Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Drive System Malfunction?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2023, 10:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,201 Likes on 934 Posts

Originally Posted by jkang1010
Would you happen to have the invoice from your visit and/or can I perhaps have the SA or the name of person who verified it was covered under the warranty?

Thanks in advance, I am at Audi of Fort Washington and if they continue to refuse to acknowledge the warranty might tow it to West Chester.
I would tow it to westchester and tell them "something is wrong with the car, it threw a CEL and won't pass inspection. please look at it".
if need be scrape the inspection sticker off the windshield. don't mention anything about TSB, warranty, etc. just play dumb. don't mention anything about another dealer looking at it or refusing to fix it under the E1E FEW.

let us know what happens and keep pushing, I bet you will get this fixed and fully covered. best of luck.
P.S. - a new inspection is way cheaper than a $1000+ repair bill.
Old 07-29-2023, 04:57 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drive System Malfunction

Originally Posted by mattwhit
Had this happen today... hard acceleration from a light... in S mode... started to accelerate then an immediate loss of power and the engine was really rough... pulled off the main road and engine smoothed out... Stop/Start disabled itself and got a warning on that too ( I had put the transmission back to normal D mode) OBDEleven indicates misfire with cylinder 1 and also something about direct injection malfunction with cylinder 1... Once I restarted the engine, the error light cleared... wondering if I need to take it in of just watch it and mention when it goes in for service... anyone else have the rough engine after the light came on?
Happened to me today driving home from Aiken SC to Eastover SC on I-20. Going 70+ in I-20 following other traffic, suddenly car was running so rough I thought a tire was going flat! Then the yellow "drive system malfunction came on and stayed on the whole way home. We got off the Interstate in Lexington and drove slowly because that is all she would do! Accelerating brought on the roughness and when coasting it subsided almost completely. I knew we had to climb a few steep long hills and was worried.
We managed to make it all the way home probably 40+ miles but I thought it may get rougher and conk out. It made it. I parked it and started it up several hours later, now running smooth as ever and no message in display! I hate intermittent problems! Will drive it some tomorrow and see if it returns.
Old 08-05-2023, 02:02 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Q7 Dead

Had the Drive System Makfunction warning once recenlty. Let the car rest and then drove gingerly. Never saw the error again till yesterday. Car would not turn over. Audi looked at the car today, Sat, but can not make final determination. Am told it could be the starter motor or the whole engine might frozen/dead/junk.

i read the first several and last four pages to see if any other experiences are similar. Wondering if this radiator grill shutter motor others discuss could account for my issue?

Car is 2017, 75k. Always serviced at the same
dealer I bought the car from. Was told this was not a common fault.

sorry that I did not read all 24 pages. If there is an analogous case to mine in here, I’ll read it all. Just LMK.

conversely, any guidance would be most welcome.

The following users liked this post:
CLR1310 (02-08-2024)
Old 08-09-2023, 11:23 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My '17 Q7 has just over 100k on it. I had this error pop up a few weeks ago and the engine wouldn't turn over. Turned out to be a failed starter. Dealership wanted something around $2200 to replace, local shop (Black Forest Technik) did it for over $1k less.
Old 10-07-2023, 09:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by JT4
Just an update, I started this thread two years ago and I have not experienced the warning light again since the first time it happened back in August 2018.
Originally Posted by JT4
Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this..

Within 5 mins of driving the Q7 Monday night I received this notification... I pulled over shut it off and waited approx 2 mins.. Restarted it and the light didn't reappear, I continued driving another 20 mins and the light never came back on and the Q7 drove fine.. Been driving it since Monday and so far so good, all has been fine.

I called service yesterday and emailed them the pic and they didn't seem concerned at all.. They told me this could happen from time to time and as long as the light stays off all should be fine..

Doesn't really sit with me well since we are approaching a long holiday weekend which usually puts "murphy's law" into effect..

So again, has anyone had this happen to them??

So JT4, whats the story after a few years? Did it reoccur?

So this happened to me last night as i was driving on a highway at 60-70 mph. Before the light came on, I felt some odd rumbles (the Q is butter smooth usually), and I knew something was wrong as it has never felt that way. Q was still driving normally and accelerating, didnt sense any loss of power, but I wasnt speed racing either. Then the light and warning chime comes on. "Drive System Malfunction - Contact Service". There was NO CEL. Anyway we get to our destination, I parallel park the car normally, and shut her down. An hour or so later, we get back in the Q and no lights etc, and drive back home normally for about 40 minutes. Didnt sense anything unusual. Weird

So, I've breezed through this thread and I think there are 2 issues being discussed in this thread. One is the OPs issues, and the other that has taken over this thread is the Drive System Malfunctions AND the CEL. Is that right? Or are they all the same. Of course i will keep an eye out to see if this happens again and if the CEL comes on as well (I've saved the TSB). In the mean time I'm taking it to my Indy Audi tech to see if they can pull some codes. If there are no codes found, I assume there is nothing to be done?

2017 Audi Q7 Prestige, 44k miles
Old 10-14-2023, 06:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Update: In my case it was a bad spark plug. FYI
Old 10-16-2023, 05:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,201 Likes on 934 Posts

Folks, this thread and the FEW and subsequent TSB only applies to cars that throw a CEL for the following fault code: "P05A0 Active Grille Air Shutter"
Old 10-16-2023, 05:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by mhoran89
Folks, this thread and the FEW and subsequent TSB only applies to cars that throw a CEL for the following fault code: "P05A0 Active Grille Air Shutter"
This is correct. But the OP didnt have the CEL issue, so I am clarifying for others who may have had the Drive system issue without the CEL, who stumble upon this thread
Old 12-02-2023, 05:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This happend last night to my 2020 Q7 Prestige. I was about a mile from home and I lost power and the warning light came on.
Fortunately I was able to coast the rest of the way home where I ran a scan and got this code.
P060C (pending) - Internal Control Module Main Processor Performance

I turned it off then restarted and it was running fine.

The one variable in my case is I had an APR stage 1 installed earlier in the week. It could be related to the upgrade but after seeing this thread it doesn't sound that uncommon even for vehicles that haven't been tuned.

Update, I started it this morning and took it on a drive for about 40 minutes, I pulled into a gas station to turn around thinking it was a one time problem and when I tried to pull out the same issue came up.
I was able to pull over, shut off and restart and drive home.

Last edited by NoVA_A6; 12-02-2023 at 11:07 AM.
Old 12-02-2023, 12:45 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 73 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by NoVA_A6
This happend last night to my 2020 Q7 Prestige. I was about a mile from home and I lost power and the warning light came on.
Fortunately I was able to coast the rest of the way home where I ran a scan and got this code.
P060C (pending) - Internal Control Module Main Processor Performance

I turned it off then restarted and it was running fine.

The one variable in my case is I had an APR stage 1 installed earlier in the week. It could be related to the upgrade but after seeing this thread it doesn't sound that uncommon even for vehicles that haven't been tuned.

Update, I started it this morning and took it on a drive for about 40 minutes, I pulled into a gas station to turn around thinking it was a one time problem and when I tried to pull out the same issue came up.
I was able to pull over, shut off and restart and drive home.
If you are tuned you may be in a world of hurt on this one as Audi may try to deny the warranty.

Quick Reply: Drive System Malfunction?