Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Drive System Malfunction?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2019, 09:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Congrats on the Cayenne, great car. But I hope you're not switching solely for reliability, as they share a lot of parts. I'm sure you know this, just seemed like a strange reason for switching.
Old 05-23-2019, 04:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,201 Likes on 934 Posts

Originally Posted by paul07834
I have had the same issue with my 2017 Q7. Has happened 2 or 3 times over the last 2.5 years. Seems to happen when I really hit the accelerator hard when the car is stopped. I always turn off the auto start/stop and the car is in Sport mode at the time. Like the OP, so far it goes away and does not return when I turn the car off and wait a few minutes.

Paul
Originally Posted by mattwhit
Had this happen today... hard acceleration from a light... in S mode... started to accelerate then an immediate loss of power and the engine was really rough... pulled off the main road and engine smoothed out... Stop/Start disabled itself and got a warning on that too ( I had put the transmission back to normal D mode) OBDEleven indicates misfire with cylinder 1 and also something about direct injection malfunction with cylinder 1... Once I restarted the engine, the error light cleared... wondering if I need to take it in of just watch it and mention when it goes in for service... anyone else have the rough engine after the light came on?
Same here, was at a stoplight and smashed the accellerator pedal from a stop and it gave me this startling warning. Pulled over, power cycled the whole car (ignition), and haven't seen it since. Not really reassuring that we don't have a root cause, nor a remedy...
Old 01-18-2020, 07:15 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

...wife is driving a 2020 Q3 - took ownership Sept of 2019 - brand new. Just had this Drive System error, in a lower speed having just exited highway... car went into a "limp home" mode... sat in parking lot overnight, but started fine to drive up onto flatbed to take to dealer who said they are just starting to see this error in her model.
So we have the car back, with uneasy confidence over this not being correctable "yet", but Audi is looking into it.
Old 01-18-2020, 08:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

I got that few times in the snow, while stuck. It came back to its senses by itself.
did not experience any difference in driving.
The following users liked this post:
kipawa (07-09-2021)
Old 01-19-2020, 06:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 352 Likes on 276 Posts

All of these systems communicate with a data bus between them. If there is an issue with the communications, then you can get these warnings. If the transmission cannot talk to the ECU, then the ECU has to go into a limited power mode to protect the transmission. Never had this with our Audi, and last week was the first time with my 4 year old BMW (same transmission). It was a "balmy" -32C outside, error came on when I started and let it idle, and as soon as I started to drive off, it cleared itself. Cold weather can cause these issues as well.
Old 02-24-2020, 03:16 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I got the same message "Drive system: Malfunction" on my brand new Q7 2019 (~200 miles on odometer). It came at normal speed ~40 mph, no acceleration, mild weather.
I took it do my dealership the same day and they gave me following explanation based on saved code:
"Misfire cylinder #6"
According to them it was a one-time event (one missed cycle on one cylinder). It seems like a minor issue, but Audi performed some testing and a long test drive (30 miles!) before releasing the car back to me. I did not see this message since (another 300 miles)...
Old 02-24-2020, 05:32 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

My light came on during accelerating onto incoming traffic. Odometer: 250 km on 2019 Q7.
Took to the dealer the next day with extensive testing and road test. They even swapped ignition coils from 6th to 5th cylinder to identify the root cause.
Explanation from code reading: 6th cylinder misfire. I added 1,500 km since with no further issues.
Old 02-25-2020, 06:27 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dasaint
Manually disable auto start/stop while n dynamic or s mode and it shouldnt trigger
Matt - how did you enable the D1 in the display? I assume it's configurable via VCDS?

Thanks!
Old 02-26-2020, 09:32 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Today the same message (Drive system: Malfunction) came back again - now I have 600 miles odometer reading. This time I could feel some shaky ride for ~5 seconds after event, so definitely cylinder was not working for awhile. Car is back at service...
Old 02-28-2020, 11:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by igopp
Today the same message (Drive system: Malfunction) came back again - now I have 600 miles odometer reading. This time I could feel some shaky ride for ~5 seconds after event, so definitely cylinder was not working for awhile. Car is back at service...
Buy an OBDII reader, and carry it in the car with you. You can buy cheap ones for about $30, but you can get one with Audi specific codes for maybe $150. Its a good investment.

Quick Reply: Drive System Malfunction?