Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Drive System Malfunction?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2020, 12:04 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks ang934, I may buy it eventually. For now my car is still brand new and my best option is simply bring it back to Audi service and keep counting failures. BTW - this time the problem was related to cylinder 2 (not 6 as the first time). What I heard is that Audi has a problem with Control system (or software) that cause cylinders misfire and for some Audi models the update is already available, but not for Q7. I wonder if some other 2019 Q7 owners experienced the same issue recently...
Old 02-28-2020, 12:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by igopp
Thanks ang934, I may buy it eventually. For now my car is still brand new and my best option is simply bring it back to Audi service and keep counting failures. BTW - this time the problem was related to cylinder 2 (not 6 as the first time). What I heard is that Audi has a problem with Control system (or software) that cause cylinders misfire and for some Audi models the update is already available, but not for Q7. I wonder if some other 2019 Q7 owners experienced the same issue recently...
Still good to have because it can tell you if its even safe to drive, but if it only appears now-and-then, its probably O.K.

Just be careful if you are renewing your registration. At least here, the "pollution test" is just reading your OBDII codes. If a code like that appears within a number of car restarts, you will fail your pollution test.
Old 03-09-2020, 11:10 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Engine modulator

Originally Posted by thescalz
...wife is driving a 2020 Q3 - took ownership Sept of 2019 - brand new. Just had this Drive System error, in a lower speed having just exited highway... car went into a "limp home" mode... sat in parking lot overnight, but started fine to drive up onto flatbed to take to dealer who said they are just starting to see this error in her model.
So we have the car back, with uneasy confidence over this not being correctable "yet", but Audi is looking into it.

My 2019 Q3 just did this same thing Friday. Sputtering and sluggish with drive system failure warning lights flashing. I pulled over, engine still sputtering and a smell
like rubbing alcohol from the air system. Turned it in to the dealership 20 mins later, it ran fine all the way there. They called me this morning to state that it’s an engine modulator failure and the can’t clear the code. They have one on order but in the meantime I get to drive a 2019 A6. Best dealership ever.
Old 04-05-2020, 10:04 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

what are the chances that hard wiring a dash cam to the 12V socket will make the main ecu throw these codes?
Old 09-15-2020, 07:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,201 Likes on 934 Posts

I just got this tonight and the car seemed to hesitate big time and did not like 3rd gear and hated 2nd. Almost felt like it was slamming the throttle body shut when I gave it more gas and was asking it to downshift.

The car has a pending p050 code for active grille shutters and 6 other codes.

power cycled the car and came back to it an hour later and it was driving fine. Going to make a trip to the dealer shortly to see what’s going on.

not too pleased considering it more or less went into limp mode but cannot imagine grille shutters would cause that. Will keep everyone updated.
Old 09-16-2020, 07:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by mhoran89
I just got this tonight and the car seemed to hesitate big time and did not like 3rd gear and hated 2nd. Almost felt like it was slamming the throttle body shut when I gave it more gas and was asking it to downshift.

The car has a pending p050 code for active grille shutters and 6 other codes.

power cycled the car and came back to it an hour later and it was driving fine. Going to make a trip to the dealer shortly to see what’s going on.

not too pleased considering it more or less went into limp mode but cannot imagine grille shutters would cause that. Will keep everyone updated.
Hi,
Sorry to hear about your problems.Do you think tune has anything to do with it?
Cheers,
Bob
Old 09-17-2020, 07:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by BOBSQ5
Hi,
Sorry to hear about your problems.Do you think tune has anything to do with it?
Cheers,
Bob
Highly doubt it.
I threw a code for active grille shutters which after speaking to the dealership about it said that could cause many more issues if modules are not communicating to one another.
I should have more info for everyone tomorrow afternoon. Car goes in tomorrow morning.
Old 09-18-2020, 11:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Plot line thickens...
Car threw a hard code (didn't get a chance to scan it) on the way to the dealer this AM and had a check engine light (MIL) on.

Got a call from dealership today.
They mentioned a few things.

1. car is on an old ECM software version. TSB from Audi suggests with codes thrown, and symptoms seen, the new ECM software could fix issues.
2. car is throwing a code for the engine breather system. said this (code) may fall off but needs additional troubleshooting. said was possibly 5 hours of labor plus parts if replacement required.
3. active radiator louver motor / actuator is a 5+ hour job if the software update does not fix issue. requires removal of front end and bumper, which results in full DAP (radar sensor) alignment which is big $.

Dealer said the $152 charge or whatever it is will cover diagnosis and software update. I told them the car is tuned. They did not seem to care other than worrying about the fact it will wipe my tune off the vehicle. I replied with "don't worry about it, that is my problem". That was the end of that conversation.

What is even better is in December of 2019 I paid ~$150 at the local dealer to go to ECM version 5 which apparently has a fix for the shutters and the supercharger clutch (and maybe other things). This was so that the APR dealer could tune the ECM because they did not want to force update and upgrade the software because they did not have a copy of the stock software at the version my car was at if something went wrong in the process (to revert back to stock). So the bigger question is why is Audi passing along the cost of software updates to consumers, especially when the car hesitates and it becomes a driveability and inspection issue (in MA you cannot pass yearly inspection with a CEL)? I find it insane that they will cover a software update like this if your car throws a CEL if it's under warranty... but not if it is out of warranty.

Granted, I am jumping to conclusions here, and do not have a full diagnosis, and won't have one until Monday.... but this is frustrating.
Rest assured, I will be going to bat with the dealer (if they do not do so for me) against Audi in regards to the software update. If the car is having problems, enough that you turn around and grab another vehicle to get where you need to go, and then Audi is going to come after you for software to keep your car rolling down the road, I am going to blow a gasket. I have a feeling the dealer is going to work with me on this one, and the service writer who called me is not my usual one (a lot of times I just deal with the service manager), but we will see. Worst case I can pull the "8yr/100K Federal Emissions Warranty" card and fight it that way, just as the 4.0TT V8 folks have after blowing up turbos... but I really hope this does not come down to something like that.

I expect a call from the service writer, and possibly the shop foreman as well. I asked them to provide documentation on what software is current for this vehicle, the REV, and the differences between what is out compared to "ECM version 5" which is what I paid for in December of 2019. They should have more info for me as well on troubleshooting...

OK, off my soapbox, HAPPY FRIDAY!

Last edited by mhoran89; 09-18-2020 at 11:08 AM.
Old 09-21-2020, 04:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

FML. After another trip to the dealer today in their loaner I got an answer out of them with the shop foreman there.
They said when the car throws a Drive System Malfunction error in combination with the active grille shutters, it is almost always the shutter actuator motor... and nothing to do with software...
The shutters have failed in the open position.

They were able to get the shutter code P050 and the Drive System Malfunction error to come back after clearing it. They were also able to replicate the car hesitating and going into limp mode... but without any tachometer restrictions.

Since my software is fairly recent, they are going to do the shutter motor and due to the car having the DAP it will need a full alignment/calibration of sensors.
Estimated bill of $1150 or so. Will keep everyone posted.
Old 09-21-2020, 07:14 PM
edf
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mhoran89
FML. After another trip to the dealer today in their loaner I got an answer out of them with the shop foreman there.
They said when the car throws a Drive System Malfunction error in combination with the active grille shutters, it is almost always the shutter actuator motor... and nothing to do with software...
The shutters have failed in the open position.

They were able to get the shutter code P050 and the Drive System Malfunction error to come back after clearing it. They were also able to replicate the car hesitating and going into limp mode... but without any tachometer restrictions.

Since my software is fairly recent, they are going to do the shutter motor and due to the car having the DAP it will need a full alignment/calibration of sensors.
Estimated bill of $1150 or so. Will keep everyone posted.
I had this exact thing happen last month,bill was $985.Under warrantee luckily.

Quick Reply: Drive System Malfunction?