Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Drive System Malfunction?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2020, 07:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,201 Likes on 934 Posts

Originally Posted by edf
I had this exact thing happen last month,bill was $985.Under warrantee luckily.
I just emailed the service manager earlier. From this documentation seems like there is a “1E1” warranty which is 8yr/100K. I have a hunch that is the federal emissions warranty.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...44971-9999.pdf

I am going to see what strings I can pull. They may pick up some of the bill. Will keep everyone in the loop.
The following 2 users liked this post by mhoran89:
May_day (06-22-2022), NOTW (03-30-2021)
Old 09-22-2020, 04:40 AM
JT4
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

Just an update, I started this thread two years ago and I have not experienced the warning light again since the first time it happened back in August 2018.
The following 4 users liked this post by JT4:
BigKutta (10-07-2023), Ericka730 (10-03-2020), hayde_bre (09-25-2020), Nightrider007 (04-25-2024)
Old 09-22-2020, 04:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 44 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by JT4
Just an update, I started this thread two years ago and I have not experienced the warning light again since the first time it happened back in August 2018.
I didn't have it for a while either till I went to the track a few weeks ago. It did when I launched of the line
Old 09-22-2020, 06:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by BOBSQ5
Hi,
Sorry to hear about your problems.Do you think tune has anything to do with it?
Cheers,
Bob
Once again, the old saying goes... "you have to pay to play".

So long story short is this active grill shutter (motor) failure would be covered under the 7yr/70K Federal Emissions Warranty (which the service manager mentioned it has been upped to 8yr/80K).
With my vehicle, this is not the case because it has been tuned. They would flag it TD1 and deny the claim. I will be paying for the repair.

Moral of the story is, if you aren't willing to pickup more repair bills, don't modify your car's software.
The Service Manager said very few things are covered under the Emissions Warranty, and she does not discourage folks from tuning their vehicles... but this is what can happen.
Just wanted to give everyone some insight as to what is happening with my vehicle.
The following users liked this post:
petery129 (09-30-2020)
Old 09-22-2020, 06:35 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 44 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by mhoran89
Once again, the old saying goes... "you have to pay to play".

So long story short is this active grill shutter (motor) failure would be covered under the 7yr/70K Federal Emissions Warranty (which the service manager mentioned it has been upped to 8yr/80K).
With my vehicle, this is not the case because it has been tuned. They would flag it TD1 and deny the claim. I will be paying for the repair.

Moral of the story is, if you aren't willing to pickup more repair bills, don't modify your car's software.
The Service Manager said very few things are covered under the Emissions Warranty, and she does not discourage folks from tuning their vehicles... but this is what can happen.
Just wanted to give everyone some insight as to what is happening with my vehicle.
Did they proved the shutter motors malfunction was caused by the tune?
Old 09-22-2020, 06:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Dasaint
Did they proved the shutter motors malfunction was caused by the tune?
No, and there is no way to prove that. They said regardless of what they try, because the ECU counter will be greater than what Audi expects it to be, they cannot swing this under any warranty. Because I will get TD1 flagged. They said they have been billed back for turbos, etc. on different cars.

The problem is that TSB mentions a software update. As soon as they plug into the computer, it is going to send my code to the mainframe in Germany and cross reference to their database. It will come back as TD1 and I will have no chance with a warranty claim. If it was something where they needed to do nothing but fix a physical part and clear codes (and not update software) I would imagine the outcome could be completely different...
Old 09-25-2020, 12:56 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Q3 issues

Originally Posted by thescalz
...wife is driving a 2020 Q3 - took ownership Sept of 2019 - brand new. Just had this Drive System error, in a lower speed having just exited highway... car went into a "limp home" mode... sat in parking lot overnight, but started fine to drive up onto flatbed to take to dealer who said they are just starting to see this error in her model.
So we have the car back, with uneasy confidence over this not being correctable "yet", but Audi is looking into it.
Similar experience. Happened when turning left off the highway. No power and limped off the highway luckily as a semi truck was coming towards me and I was stuck in the oncoming traffic lane. No codes when I took it in got service. I have no confidence And am nervous driving the vehicle!
Old 09-25-2020, 09:35 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by GMRC
Similar experience. Happened when turning left off the highway. No power and limped off the highway luckily as a semi truck was coming towards me and I was stuck in the oncoming traffic lane. No codes when I took it in got service. I have no confidence And am nervous driving the vehicle!
How could there be no codes if it went limp and no power? What did they think happened, then? "something came loose, and then just magically re-attached"
In cases where people had drive malfunction, it never really lost power, just error.
Old 09-26-2020, 06:18 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Frustrated

Originally Posted by hayde_bre
How could there be no codes if it went limp and no power? What did they think happened, then? "something came loose, and then just magically re-attached"
In cases where people had drive malfunction, it never really lost power, just error.
They say it is my safety system. “It must have sensed something.” Although there wasn’t anything in front of me. Shut down the power. “Just drive it and let them know if it happens again.” They turned down the “sensitivity of the system.” This is my 4th audi and I have never had anything like this happen before. Not feeling really confident as this had occurred once before luckily not in oncoming traffic like this last time. I live in a rural area so a lot of my highway driving is 2 lane, thus left turns mean crossing oncoming traffic.
Old 09-26-2020, 07:39 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Sorry to hear that man, I hope it doesn't happen again.

Quick Reply: Drive System Malfunction?