Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Drive System Malfunction?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2020, 10:33 PM
mbs
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Well crap. My 2019 3.0 popped up Drive System Malfunction while I was parked and idling. It went away after a minute and reappeared 5 minutes later. Again, it didn’t last long, and I haven’t seen it since. Fine, fine, German engineering.
Old 11-13-2020, 05:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,201 Likes on 934 Posts

I wonder if there is any correlation between climates these cars are driven in and this failure. I have to imagine my shutter motor was working overtime as I beat on the car going skiing every weekend.

My understanding is the car's cooling system is sized to handle high heat climates and good towing capacity. I imagine cruising on interstate at 70mph when it can get as cold as negative digits F in New England results in the shutters closing quite a bit. From what I have read, all these new engines with synthetic fluids are designed to operate more efficiently at higher temperatures...

Last edited by mhoran89; 11-13-2020 at 05:40 AM.
Old 12-08-2020, 01:33 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mhoran89
Plot line thickens...
So the bigger question is why is Audi passing along the cost of software updates to consumers, especially when the car hesitates and it becomes a driveability and inspection issue (in MA you cannot pass yearly inspection with a CEL)? I find it insane that they will cover a software update like this if your car throws a CEL if it's under warranty... but not if it is out of warranty.

Granted, I am jumping to conclusions here, and do not have a full diagnosis, and won't have one until Monday.... but this is frustrating.
!
I had the same Stop/Start and drive malfunction errors and just had a similar conversation with my dealership. I need a radiator air shutter and oil level sensor updates, but the guy told me in 50% of cases, the radiator motor won't take the update and they have to replace it for an extra $1100. I'm just over 45,000 miles and it's a 2017, so SOL on warranty, but why is their crappy software update my liability? This MAKES NO SENSE. Write an update that your hardware can understand!
Old 12-08-2020, 01:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Garrett W
I had the same Stop/Start and drive malfunction errors and just had a similar conversation with my dealership. I need a radiator air shutter and oil level sensor updates, but the guy told me in 50% of cases, the radiator motor won't take the update and they have to replace it for an extra $1100. I'm just over 45,000 miles and it's a 2017, so SOL on warranty, but why is their crappy software update my liability? This MAKES NO SENSE. Write an update that your hardware can understand!
NO DON'T FALL FOR THAT CRAP. You car threw a check engine light and has driveability issues. It is therefor covered under the federal emissions warranty. I have saved members here at least $2500 so far. Go back to your dealer and tell them to shove it and it's covered... or go to your next closest dealer and play dumb... tell them it threw a CEL and you don't know what's wrong and want it covered under the federal emissions warranty and if this is related to the radiator/grille shutter motor there is a TSB Audi has released and therefor it's on them to run it through warranty... unless you have tuned the car.

Once again, you're welcome. Feel free to ask for my venmo account and donate to my charitable fund which supports my $1150 repair that you got for free!
The following 2 users liked this post by mhoran89:
JT4 (12-10-2020), quattro_rails (12-10-2020)
Old 12-10-2020, 04:26 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by mhoran89
NO DON'T FALL FOR THAT CRAP. You car threw a check engine light and has driveability issues. It is therefor covered under the federal emissions warranty. I have saved members here at least $2500 so far. Go back to your dealer and tell them to shove it and it's covered... or go to your next closest dealer and play dumb... tell them it threw a CEL and you don't know what's wrong and want it covered under the federal emissions warranty and if this is related to the radiator/grille shutter motor there is a TSB Audi has released and therefor it's on them to run it through warranty... unless you have tuned the car.

Once again, you're welcome. Feel free to ask for my venmo account and donate to my charitable fund which supports my $1150 repair that you got for free!
They are covering it under Federal Emissions warranty! Honestly, I'd happily venmo you $100 for saving me $1400.
Old 12-10-2020, 11:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

If your Check Engine light is on due to an engine issue, that is an emissions failure, by definition. In many states, including where I live, your emissions test to renew your registration is them connecting to your OBDII connector and verifying there are no engine codes in the system. Any codes, and its an emission failure.
Old 12-14-2020, 06:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Garrett W
They are covering it under Federal Emissions warranty! Honestly, I'd happily venmo you $100 for saving me $1400.
Glad to hear! My venmo @ is the same as my username here on the forums, but you don't have to. Glad I could save another member from this disaster. That is at least 3 and counting. Happy Holidays to you and everyone else!
Old 12-16-2020, 07:02 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Interesting thread. I have the same two warnings on a 2020 A6 Allroad with about 12K miles. Taking the car in Friday as I’m about a 2 1/2 hour drive from the dealer.

hopefully no issues on the drive and a quick fix as I will need the car back to make the drive home. Good info on here that I will call the SA with before I arrive.
Old 12-20-2020, 07:57 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Hoping to use Emissions Failure too

Originally Posted by ang934
If your Check Engine light is on due to an engine issue, that is an emissions failure, by definition. In many states, including where I live, your emissions test to renew your registration is them connecting to your OBDII connector and verifying there are no engine codes in the system. Any codes, and its an emission failure.
Thank you for all of the info shared in this thread! My Q7 is at the dealership as we speak 3.5 years old and with 54k miles! They said they've never seen anything like what we've experienced before. Same error, sluggish upon acceleration and already charged me to hook up to the computer, to tell me there baffled and I'm going to have to pay for them to hook it up again on Monday. Printed out the document you shared and hoping they'll work with me on it next week.
Old 12-20-2020, 08:03 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Tina Montano
Thank you for all of the info shared in this thread! My Q7 is at the dealership as we speak 3.5 years old and with 54k miles! They said they've never seen anything like what we've experienced before. Same error, sluggish upon acceleration and already charged me to hook up to the computer, to tell me there baffled and I'm going to have to pay for them to hook it up again on Monday. Printed out the document you shared and hoping they'll work with me on it next week.

Quick Reply: Drive System Malfunction?