Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Drive System Malfunction?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2020, 05:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,202 Likes on 935 Posts

Originally Posted by Tina Montano
Thank you for all of the info shared in this thread! My Q7 is at the dealership as we speak 3.5 years old and with 54k miles! They said they've never seen anything like what we've experienced before. Same error, sluggish upon acceleration and already charged me to hook up to the computer, to tell me there baffled and I'm going to have to pay for them to hook it up again on Monday. Printed out the document you shared and hoping they'll work with me on it next week.
Originally Posted by Tina Montano

Don't forget to Venmo me when I save you a ~$1150 repair bill.
Just kidding... Happy Holidays Everyone!

Seriously though, if they tell you the radiator grille shutter system is the culprit don't let them slide it under the table back to you... pull the emissions warranty card and tell them they have to fix it. After this thread had started and I went through this ordeal... I have not seen anyone get denied coverage unless it was your own fault i.e. - you tuned the car's software.
The following 2 users liked this post by mhoran89:
May_day (06-22-2022), videsi (07-25-2021)
Old 01-25-2021, 12:56 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drive System Malfunction- Audi Q7

I got the Drive System Malfunction on Audi Q7 2017 model. Took the car to Audi Dealer. Dealer wanted to charge $600 for Re-programming and not sure about what is causing the issue(could be active grill shutter fault)
After the re-programming I drove the car for 20 to 30 miles and the same service engine light and Drive system malfunction came back. After stopping the car and restarting the car the message went away.
Has any one had the problem and how did you fix it?

Really appreciate any input. Thank you in advance!
Old 01-25-2021, 04:44 PM
mbs
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I've seen the message while parked idling for 20 minutes. It appeared, I cursed, and it went away about 5 minutes later. It reappeared again for 5 minutes, and I haven't seen it since. IN my case, the check engine light never came on.
Old 01-25-2021, 05:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by texassoccer
I got the Drive System Malfunction on Audi Q7 2017 model. Took the car to Audi Dealer. Dealer wanted to charge $600 for Re-programming and not sure about what is causing the issue(could be active grill shutter fault)
After the re-programming I drove the car for 20 to 30 miles and the same service engine light and Drive system malfunction came back. After stopping the car and restarting the car the message went away.
Has any one had the problem and how did you fix it?

Really appreciate any input. Thank you in advance!
I have seen it go away after restarting the car. If you’re throwing a shutter code and the car is saying drive system malfunction and is hesitating go take it in again. You shouldn’t pay a thing for any repair. Tell them it’s covered under federal emissions warranty since the car threw a check engine light and get a loaner. If need be take a look at TSB referenced earlier in this thread and give them the number. Best of luck! Let us know what happens.

my dealer said they could reprogram computer per TSB but said it most likely won’t fix it. I told them not to and just do the motor replacement so I didn’t mess with my APR tune. Their TSB starts with new software. If that doesn’t solve problem (and you’ll know next day if the shutter motor fails) then they will do the motor. I would tell them to do as TSB states with software and drive car. They will quickly realize it’s hardware related and you’ll get a free software update in the meantime. The most you should pay for the whole thing might be $150 for a diagnostic fee. But they should cover it once they realize it’s TSB and federal emissions warranty related. That is if it’s the shutter motor that failed and you’re under 7yr/70k or whatever the FEM is.

Last edited by mhoran89; 01-25-2021 at 05:47 PM.
The following users liked this post:
May_day (06-22-2022)
Old 01-26-2021, 03:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Mhoran, when you say you're not eligible because you tuned your engine, what does that mean?
Old 01-26-2021, 06:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Redddog
Mhoran, when you say you're not eligible because you tuned your engine, what does that mean?
I am not running factory ECU software. The car is tuned by APR to have another 100 HP or so... it's their Stage 1 91 octane tune.

What this means in the grand scheme of things is the federal emissions warranty has been voided. Just as anything I wanted to put under Audi warranty while I was on a factory warranty that's engine or drivetrain related would be voided (but I tuned after warranty expired). The Federal Emissions Warranty and Audi Warranty are valid if the car is not "modified". Or if Audi cannot prove that the modification did cause the failure. My dealer did not want me to get TD1 flagged, because if something else failed that had a TSB with a procedure that did not call out flashing or checking ECU, I might have a fighting chance to get it covered under the FEW. They had seen this issue before and recommended just replacing the actuator, and it did solve the issue.

The TSB for the grille/radiator shutter motor failure starts off with verify the codes and issue. Then flash ECU with new software that supposedly helps this issue. Clear codes and drive vehicle and see if concern goes away. If it does not, then the actuator/motor needs to be replaced that opens/closes the radiator/grille shutters in front of the vehicle. My dealer explained that if they plug into the ECU and go to update the software they may see the ECU flash counter higher than what the Audi mothership mainframe expects. That could flag my car as TD1 (aftermarket tuned) and prevent me from getting the repair covered under FEW. Same thing could happen if they disregard the flash counter but they will bounce the software off the mainframe mothership and see that it is different than what is expected. When expensive repairs like this are covered under warranty, Audi checks for more things to see if there is a possible underlying reason they could deny the repair under warranty. Audi has the ability to compare flash counter or the actual code against their expected software version on a car. This came under the more spotlights when tuned folks were trying to get the V8 4.0T turbo failures (oil feed screen clogs and you get bearing and ultimately turbo failure) covered under warranty or FEW and then Audi's first check when applying that TSB was to check if car was tuned. My A8L 4.0T was tuned and I saw the issues and dumped the car because I did not want to play roulette with a 10K bill for two new turbos...

Anyway, let me know if this makes sense. If not I can explain further. But the long story short is "you have to pay to play" if you are tuning cars with aftermarket software.
Old 02-21-2021, 05:49 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 2019 TT Roadster with this Drive System Malfunction issue. Originally happened about a month ago under hard acceleration. The car lost power. It would run, but sluggishly like it was bogging down. The warning light went off and it drove normally after a restart. The dealer identified the code and performed TSB 2053040/2 repair. Apparently something to do with the throttle software. All was good until last night when it happened again. Will be taking to the dealer this week. The car is extremely low mileage and not tuned.
Old 03-30-2021, 04:44 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

MHORAN89, you just saved me 2850/- quoted for replacing grill shutter blinds/motor etc, bumped across your share, forwarded it to Audi and Voila.. all cost picked up by 1E1 warranty...
Old 03-30-2021, 04:58 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by mhoran89
I just emailed the service manager earlier. From this documentation seems like there is a “1E1” warranty which is 8yr/100K. I have a hunch that is the federal emissions warranty.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...44971-9999.pdf

I am going to see what strings I can pull. They may pick up some of the bill. Will keep everyone in the loop.
You just saved me 2850/- quote for entire grill shutter assembly/motor.... I showed them TSB you shared , they didn't even know about it I guess... anyway car fixed and out of gate at no cost to me.. Thanks a lot man.
Old 03-31-2021, 06:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by NOTW
You just saved me 2850/- quote for entire grill shutter assembly/motor.... I showed them TSB you shared , they didn't even know about it I guess... anyway car fixed and out of gate at no cost to me.. Thanks a lot man.
That is over $5k now I have saved folks. My venmo @ is the same as my username here...

Glad I could help more fellow Q7 owners out. It's a shame these cars have this issue... but what is worse is how the dealers don't look to help the consumers and put it back on AoA when something like this happens... I guess that is what these forums are for!
The following users liked this post:
videsi (07-25-2021)

Quick Reply: Drive System Malfunction?