Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Drive Train Malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2017, 07:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Drive Train Malfunction

I'm gonna call the dealer on Monday, but. Has anyone else had this happen? I'm driving home, sunny day, about 68 degrees. I have just short of 7000 miles on the Q7. 30 miles completed of my 32 mile commute. Everything is great. On a residential street going about 30 mph. All of a sudden, warning tones, the tachometer goes read from deadline down to 1500 rpm. I think the message said DriveTrain malfunction or Drive mechanism malfunction. Q7 is slowing down. Warning says drop below 1500 rpm. I pull over. I shut it off. Seemed like the engine spin down from idle to 0 rpm was not as smooth as normal. Sat for about 10 seconds. Re-started. Tach is normal, running normal, no issues, all warnings are gone, except one that says Cruise: Speed control malfunction. Check Owners manual. So I drive gingerly home the remaining two miles. Turn the Q7 off in the driveway, pour through the manual. The manual says the initial message was due to overheating (which was not happening) and it looks like the computer decides was safe RPM is because the manual just shows XXXX. Couldn't find the Cruise Control malfunction. Re-started. No now warnings at all. Took it for a little spin - no issues. The only thing that seemed odd is - (I have a prestige with the vision package) I thought there was always a 'tab' in the display for warnings. The tab is gone. It shows up if I disable traction control. It disappears again when I re-enable traction control. I'll post what I find from the dealer, an I should probably just assume some sort of software issue. But, had that happened on the freeway at 80mph - would have been a much less pleasant experience.......
Old 05-13-2017, 10:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes! Had this actually happen two days ago to me on my 3.0T Prestige purchased new about 2.5 weeks ago. I have less than 3k miles on the clock (although I'll blow that away quickly as I drive about 50k per year). I was driving it in dynamic mode and when taking off from a stop light, I had a hard shudder which I at first thought was the vehicle slipping on something in the road and engaging traction control but then all hell broke loose in the instrument cluster. Giant drivetrain malfunction warning, then pre sense warning followed by a few others. I drove the 1 mile home in "limp mode" which I'm guessing is what it was in, as it ran terribly and felt like it was misfiring. I have a trip in to the dealership first thing next week. I'll report back on what on earth is going on here... I'm holding my breath that this isn't a sign of things to come and just a fluke. God help me...

-John
Old 05-14-2017, 05:34 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 68 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by mctt197
The only thing that seemed odd is - (I have a prestige with the vision package) I thought there was always a 'tab' in the display for warnings. The tab is gone. It shows up if I disable traction control. It disappears again when I re-enable traction control.
The malfunctions/warnings tab normally is only present if there is an active warning. If you were seeing it all the time, did you have some kind of warning presented when you selected that tab?

Last edited by RickObe; 05-14-2017 at 05:56 AM.
Old 05-14-2017, 05:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Happened to me as well in November (6 months old q7 at the time). Starting from a traffic light. I was 100 miles from home in downtown SFO, about to cross the Oakland Bay Bridge. Not nice.

I drove slow slow until I was able to pull into a parking garage. I was expecting to call a tow truck etc. but once restarted it went away and never happened again.

My my dealer was never able to replicate the problem or detect it. My only mistake was not to take a quick picture of the screen error

I'm thinking (hoping) it was a software glitch.
Old 05-15-2017, 02:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

So I called the dealer. The service writer is a pretty good guy. He has gotten a few items on our Q5 covered, even after warranty. His advice - watch for any signs of recurrence. If it does, call him on my way there (effective only during business hours) he'll take it in, look at it and give me a loaner. I asked about taking 'logs' (I'm an IT guy) - he said they will still be there when I get to my first service (3,000 miles from now). So, for now, we watch it. Knock on wood - it has been running normal since. Fuel mileage the same, performance feels normal, etc.

RickObe - I think I was mixing up the display with the phone app. The phone app has the screen for warnings and says "no warnings" if there aren't any. So no, I didn't have the tab all the time. Only when I turned off the traction control. ;-)
Old 05-15-2017, 04:24 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GK12345EMAIL
Happened to me as well in November (6 months old q7 at the time). Starting from a traffic light. I was 100 miles from home in downtown SFO, about to cross the Oakland Bay Bridge. Not nice.

I drove slow slow until I was able to pull into a parking garage. I was expecting to call a tow truck etc. but once restarted it went away and never happened again.

My my dealer was never able to replicate the problem or detect it. My only mistake was not to take a quick picture of the screen error

I'm thinking (hoping) it was a software glitch.
on two week old Prestige with 770 miles. First drive train malfunction worming, then auto start/stop function malfunction warning. Drive slowly home. Restarted the car - all warnings went away. But there were no feed from any of the cameras on MMI. Resetting MMI restored cameras functioning.

Old 05-15-2017, 04:29 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

All my cameras went out twice a couple months apart, last time about 6 months ago for about a day each. No problems since, knock on wood.
Old 09-04-2017, 08:11 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by TrueAt1stLight
Yes! Had this actually happen two days ago to me on my 3.0T Prestige purchased new about 2.5 weeks ago. I have less than 3k miles on the clock (although I'll blow that away quickly as I drive about 50k per year). I was driving it in dynamic mode and when taking off from a stop light, I had a hard shudder which I at first thought was the vehicle slipping on something in the road and engaging traction control but then all hell broke loose in the instrument cluster. Giant drivetrain malfunction warning, then pre sense warning followed by a few others. I drove the 1 mile home in "limp mode" which I'm guessing is what it was in, as it ran terribly and felt like it was misfiring. I have a trip in to the dealership first thing next week. I'll report back on what on earth is going on here... I'm holding my breath that this isn't a sign of things to come and just a fluke. God help me...

-John
Any updates? I just leased a 2017 A4 and the second I took out the dealership and went home with it, same thing happened. Car completely stalled out in the middle of freeway and I had to zoom to the shoulder. I then restarted it and nothing happened.
I took it back to the dealer asking if I could trade it in for another car but when the salesperson test drove it, it drove normal. Sadly service was closed today so I would have to wait a few days before they get back to me. Hopefully they'll let me swap the car out for another one.
Old 09-05-2017, 04:23 AM
Ultimate Keyboard Warrior

Received 284 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by jlu624
Any updates? I just leased a 2017 A4 and the second I took out the dealership and went home with it, same thing happened. Car completely stalled out in the middle of freeway and I had to zoom to the shoulder. I then restarted it and nothing happened.
I took it back to the dealer asking if I could trade it in for another car but when the salesperson test drove it, it drove normal. Sadly service was closed today so I would have to wait a few days before they get back to me. Hopefully they'll let me swap the car out for another one.

Old 09-10-2017, 12:46 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Q7 Drive-train malfunction error

Hi,

I had the same error on my new Q7 with less than 2000 miles. Drivetrain malfunction error while on the highway. Cruise control would also not function. Dealer wants to wait until it happens again!!!

Wonder if this is the type of customer service Audi wants - a new car with a error and they want it to happen again while I am driving on the highway!!!

Quick Reply: Drive Train Malfunction