Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Extract oil from 2019 2.0T from dipstick hole?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2024, 07:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 397 Likes on 331 Posts

Originally Posted by MoInEd
Have you tried opening the plug after using the extractor?
The purpose was not to do so, so I never did. The level on the extractor container however shows the correct amount of oil is removed, which means nothing should come out after removing the drain plug and nothing should because of the reason I stated above.
Old 06-27-2024, 07:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 108 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by kelisko
The purpose was not to do so, so I never did. The level on the extractor container however shows the correct amount of oil is removed, which means nothing should come out after removing the drain plug and nothing should because of the reason I stated above.
As I said, if you open it after using extraction you'll see still about 0.5-1qt drains.
I didn't say you cannot use the extractor (which is quite a bit easier and less messy). The point is it doesn't empty all the oil compared to using the drain plug. For most it wouldn't matter but if you want to completely get rid of the old oil you should use the drain plug.

Last edited by MoInEd; 06-27-2024 at 07:20 AM.
Old 06-27-2024, 08:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

The point is it doesn't empty all the oil compared to using the drain plug.
Let me ask you the same question you asked then. How do you know draining would allow more oil out than extracting on a recent 2.0T or 3.0T engine? Did you extract oil then removed the drain plug to see what comes out?
Old 06-28-2024, 11:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 108 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by kelisko
Let me ask you the same question you asked then. How do you know draining would allow more oil out than extracting on a recent 2.0T or 3.0T engine? Did you extract oil then removed the drain plug to see what comes out?
i have a pump but why trust my word or the videos on YouTube that show some will be left that will drain from the plug hole? Try it yourself.
i suppose everyone has tried those shampoo or body wash bottles that have a pump and there is always some material left at the bottom of the bottle.
Same here. You can't completely extract all the old oil but for most it's good enough, faster and less messy.
Old 06-28-2024, 02:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

i have a pump but why trust my word or the videos on YouTube that show some will be left that will drain from the plug hole? Try it yourself.
i suppose everyone has tried those shampoo or body wash bottles that have a pump and there is always some material left at the bottom of the bottle.
Same here. You can't completely extract all the old oil but for most it's good enough, faster and less messy.
As an experienced Audi DIYer, I am confident I suck more oil than I drain. With that confidence, I am not wasting my time or stressing myself jacking up the car, removing the noise insulation and messing with the drain plug to check anything, sorry. I used to tilt the car when draining to allow more oil to come out as shown in the video below. In the 3.2 FSI engine video below (same setup as with the 2.0T) the drain plug is on the side. On the 3.0T CREC, it is at the bottom of the oil pan but curved in. The tube of an extractor hits the bottom/bottom of the oil pan and would suck out oil that wouldn't come out because of the oil pan/drain plug setup. The extraction process is even described in Audi's official manual. Please point me to one video of a recent Audi engine that proves your point.

The following users liked this post:
mbs (06-29-2024)