Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Factory hitch limits?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2018, 02:36 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 102 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Elizidel
SO we are just discovering reading these forums that our 7,700lb towing capacity 2017 Q7 actually can't tow anything near that weight because to safely tow that weight we need a weight distribution hitch, which, apparently, per the manual absolutely may NOT be installed on the 2017 3.0T Q7... is this really true?? However, in the quote above, it almost sounds like the factory installed hitch on our 3.0T is class III and therefore is automatically weight distributing? I'm just trying to figure out if I have to go sell my Q7 tomorrow or not, because my husband is gonna have a car that can haul his 6500lb travel trailer one way or another! I have found one forum posting where the owner went out and had the factory hitch reinforced, then used a weight distribution sway bar device, and feels safe hauling his trailer. https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-...amper-2915372/ Is this really the ONLY option I have? Very disappointed in this if it is true. I feel VERY misled in an advertised 7,700lb towing capacity. Audi: "Sure - you can tow 7,700lbs... just like you can jump off that building (legally, we do not indicate that either is safe)" IS there any hope for me to safely tow a 6,500lb travel trailer with my 2017 Q7 - and if so, what additions would I need to my car to tow that number safely?
So this is where things get sort of fuzzy. So Class III hitch is rated up to 6,000lbs weight carrying capacity, 10,000lbs weight distribution. Class iV hitch is rated at 10,000lbs weight carrying, 14,000lbs weight distribution. However, it has been pointed out that some car makers manufacture hitches that exceed the standard rating allowing them to exceed the standard Class III rating. Also, since this "custom" OEM hitch may not conform to Class IV rating, the car manufacturer can not slap Class IV rating on it. Soooo, the closest they can say is that the hitch complies with Class III rating, BUT in the manual they can state the maximum weight carrying capacity as 7,700lbs for the 3.0 V6 engine (max weight is a combination of hitch capacity and engine performance). If you take all of that in, and you trust what Audi posted in the manual (most likely vetted by lawyers), then it's safe to go up to 7,700lbs with weight carrying load. Also, I haven't been able to find a definitive answer as to the actual class classification of OEM hitch on the new Q7.

Q7 Manual specifically states NOT to use weight distribution setup as it can cause physical damage.
Old 03-07-2018, 06:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 568 Likes on 450 Posts

I dont think I seen anything saying Q7 has a Class3 hitch, is that just the assumption because of the receiver size?

Manual says its good to 7700lbs w/and no WD hitch, Europeans care about our receiver classes about as much as they care about our imperial measurement system, ie they dont.

Last edited by dreadlocks; 03-07-2018 at 06:31 PM.
Old 03-07-2018, 06:34 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 102 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by dreadlocks
I dont think I seen anything saying Q7 has a Class3 hitch, is that just the assumption because of the receiver size?

Manual says its good to 7700lbs w/and no WD hitch, Europeans care about our receiver classes about as much as they care about our imperial measurement system, ie they dont.
That's exactly what I'm thinking.....
Old 03-07-2018, 08:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 74 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Elizidel
SO we are just discovering reading these forums that our 7,700lb towing capacity 2017 Q7 actually can't tow anything near that weight because to safely tow that weight we need a weight distribution hitch, which, apparently, per the manual absolutely may NOT be installed on the 2017 3.0T Q7... is this really true?? However, in the quote above, it almost sounds like the factory installed hitch on our 3.0T is class III and therefore is automatically weight distributing? I'm just trying to figure out if I have to go sell my Q7 tomorrow or not, because my husband is gonna have a car that can haul his 6500lb travel trailer one way or another! I have found one forum posting where the owner went out and had the factory hitch reinforced, then used a weight distribution sway bar device, and feels safe hauling his trailer. https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-...amper-2915372/ Is this really the ONLY option I have? Very disappointed in this if it is true. I feel VERY misled in an advertised 7,700lb towing capacity. Audi: "Sure - you can tow 7,700lbs... just like you can jump off that building (legally, we do not indicate that either is safe)" IS there any hope for me to safely tow a 6,500lb travel trailer with my 2017 Q7 - and if so, what additions would I need to my car to tow that number safely?
Not sure where the misinformation is coming from, but the rating per Audi is 7700 lbs towing, 770 lbs tongue weight, without a weight distributing hitch. The manual even states you should try to get close to the max tongue weight. The only stipulation is that you need the Audi ball mount which is shorter than what I could find from regular ball mount manufacturers. Check out my thread here:
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q7-...hoped-2935206/
Near the last post, I link to a thread that had the info for the ball mount.
Enjoy - the Q7 tows remarkably well!
Old 03-08-2018, 02:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by AlbertQ7
you need the Audi ball mount
What is special about the Audi branded ball?
Old 03-08-2018, 03:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

its the only one short enough for the load ratings indicated in the manual.. the further away the ball is from the rear axle the less tongue weight you can load as leverage increases.. however IMHO a few inches is not going to make that much of a difference, even if your pushing the limits there should be a considerable safety margin built into this stuff that its not worth sweating over.. a hitch with the appropriate drop/rise and perhaps anti-sway and proper load balancing and rigging is far more important than sweating over a couple hundred pounds on the tongue, you never want to be light on the tongue thats for sure and almost nobody takes actual measurements of weight and distribution.
Old 03-08-2018, 05:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 74 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by bkafrick
What is special about the Audi branded ball?
Originally Posted by dreadlocks
its the only one short enough for the load ratings indicated in the manual.. the further away the ball is from the rear axle the less tongue weight you can load as leverage increases.. however IMHO a few inches is not going to make that much of a difference, even if your pushing the limits there should be a considerable safety margin built into this stuff that its not worth sweating over.. a hitch with the appropriate drop/rise and perhaps anti-sway and proper load balancing and rigging is far more important than sweating over a couple hundred pounds on the tongue, you never want to be light on the tongue thats for sure and almost nobody takes actual measurements of weight and distribution.
It is the ball MOUNT, not the ball itself, that is from Audi. As dreadlocks said, the Audi one is shorter and is what is specified in the manual for the 770 lb tongue weight. I agree with him to some degree - if I was towing a boat or a small trailer with a lighter tongue weight, I would have used a regular mount. Since I do know that my travel trailer is right at the Audi's limit in terms of tongue weight, I figured I would go ahead and get the short ball mount as recommended and think of it as a small investment for some piece of mind. I did have a sway bar tab welded to it so I could use a sway bar as well.

Here it is: https://parts.audivirginiabeach.com/...hoCi_4QAvD_BwE
I replaced the ball with the appropriate size for my trailer, and used one with a longer neck as I posted above. Note that the bar mount in the pic says 7700 lbs/ 616 lbs max, but people have posted that newer mounts have the updated ratings of 770 lbs. We think that the mounts themselves are the same, but that Audi had printed the old 616 lb max on the mount when the Q7 couldn't handle as much weight so that people wouldn't think the car was capable of more just because it was on the sticker.
Old 03-08-2018, 06:01 PM
Audi Q7 Prestige'18 Owner

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Wondering how different the Audi ball mount is from this version: CURT Manufacturing - CURT Class 3 Ball Mount #45032

edit: just realized that this sticker is on my factory installed receiver. Hitch ball measurements.

Last edited by timshuwy; 03-08-2018 at 06:15 PM. Reason: More info.
Old 03-08-2018, 06:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

that one puts the ball out two more inches further back.. I got one with welded ball
*edit* measured it
Attached Images  

Last edited by dreadlocks; 03-08-2018 at 06:38 PM.
Old 03-08-2018, 06:39 PM
Audi Q7 Prestige'18 Owner

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I am wondering what is so special about length of 6.193 inches (157.3022 mm) and height of 3.432 Inch (87.1728 mm).. seems like a rather exact odd values.
Hoping that measuring to nearest 1/16" is good enough

Quick Reply: Factory hitch limits?