Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Factory hitch limits?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2018, 06:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 568 Likes on 450 Posts

Germans want to see precision to the ten thousandth's of an mm :-)

In reality all these ratings are designed considering the vehicle will be at GRVW (ie, Full of adult passengers and cargo), on factory rated tires, with a good margin of safety and legal buffers built in.. The Engine/Suspension and Drivetrain can all handle it, The brakes on these things are better than most trucks so thats not much a worry either as long as your trailer has good brakes too..

If your not loading your Truck to max GVRW your not going to be exceeding any limits with a hitch more suitable to your trailer than the one option Audi provides you.. even if your a lil heavy on the tongue it'll be just fine, if the weight of one small person would cause a problem then something is very wrong.

All this worry about hitch ratings specifics and I'd put more of this effort to the tires on both the tow vehicle and trailer, cant go overkill on that.. I've found stepping up load ratings on both ends really improve ride quality when your heavily laden.. and blow outs towing are just terrible.

I get it, towing can be stressful at first and safety is paramount, but dont let towing your gear wind you up so much it undoes the unwinding you get with your toys, play more and worry less.. one of the nice things about towing is, it forces you to slow down and not be in a rush :-)

Last edited by dreadlocks; 03-08-2018 at 07:55 PM.
Old 03-08-2018, 07:05 PM
Audi Q7 Prestige'18 Owner

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

According to https://www.sensorsone.com/force-and...ue-calculator/ at 770 pounds (tongue weight) there is a about 58 footpounds of torque between 6.1" and 7.5" long "lever" (basically what the hitch becomes).

So, if we extend the hitch out from 6.1 to 7.5, we reduce the tongue weight it can support.
Old 03-08-2018, 07:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 568 Likes on 450 Posts

thats less than I figured, if +60lbs is going to break things then you've got bigger problems :-)

Recreational Towing is more of an art than a Science, there's no public scales near me.. if rigging looks good, vehicle feels fine and everything is sitting nice and level.. I'm ready for the road, its not til I hit like Oregon or some place with public roadside scales all over that I ever stop and take the time to calculate out loads.. Usually I'm right where I want to be but when I first started towing there was a few times I was too light on tongue because I was afraid of going over vehicle tongue rating and that was far worse, rebalanced the load and the rest of the ride was much more planted and stable.. better to be too tongue heavy than too tongue light, especially if you have air bags or weight distribution available.

If you havent seen it:

Last edited by dreadlocks; 03-08-2018 at 07:48 PM.
Old 06-15-2018, 03:09 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Tim,

Where did you find that trailer load document online?
I am getting an airstream approved with 700 pounds tongue weight for a q7 3 liter in Europe, so really need it

Bjorn
Old 10-24-2023, 08:08 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sooo, does anyone know if Audi still carries this hitch ball mount? I found this;

https://parts.audiusa.com/p/Audi_201...AW092730B.html

Its a Curt hitch though, but cannot find anything from Curt to try and order it through them. Maybe its specially manufactured for Audi only? Seems like you could still buy direct. The shortest Curt has is the 7-1/2"