Old 06-07-2020, 05:19 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Force-1

LOLZ how could I miss that one
Old 06-11-2020, 09:20 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same problem.. I changed my front grill on my audi A4 technik and the guy who did it scratched my camera and didn't install it properly after.

My image is not straight now and it's also blurry a little bit.

I bought a new camera now and didn't install yet but Audi said they will need to calibrate the new camera + sensors now for 350$

Should I do it or I take a chance that a body shop install the new one properly?
Old 06-12-2020, 12:09 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Broken front camera update

I did some research. I bought a new oem camera online for about $150 plus tax. The camera came today.
It is possible to replace without removing bumper but you'll need smallish hands. Here are the steps to replace:
-remove engine cover
- Remove radiator cover 5 push pin clips, remove hood release handle (pull out the slide clip on back of handle)
-Remove the latch cable assembly ( 2 10mms bolts and two torx screws 20 and 25) and the wire holders
-Remove the two torx screws holding the top of the grill (to give you about an extra inch of flex in the grill)
-The back of the camera holder is now visible in the grille. With 3/8 ratchet, very short extension and torx 25 you can remove the two screws holding the camera bracket in place.
-Remove the bracket with the camera and cable. Note the orientation of the camera and bracket, remove the cable and attach the new camera
-install is reverse of the above steps
Camera powered up and worked as before. No programming required no warning lights etc. I'll let me wife drive for a few days and let you know if anything changes. whole job took about an hour, 30 mins if I had to do it again.
I claim BS on all this Audi alignment and programming, the dealer once told me I needed a dynamic alignment just for new tires.
All 5 of the parking cameras are the same, generic for VW, audi and porsche, I did not think they would require special programming, just plug and play. I think I'm right but time will tell.
​​​

​​​
The following users liked this post:
Dasaint (06-13-2020)
Old 06-12-2020, 12:13 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by bumparker
I did some research. I bought a new oem camera online for about $150 plus tax. The camera came today.
It is possible to replace without removing bumper but you'll need smallish hands. Here are the steps to replace:
-remove engine cover
- Remove radiator cover 5 push pin clips, remove hood release handle (pull out the slide clip on back of handle)
-Remove the latch cable assembly ( 2 10mms bolts and two torx screws 20 and 25) and the wire holders
-Remove the two torx screws holding the top of the grill (to give you about an extra inch of flex in the grill)
-The back of the camera holder is now visible in the grille. With 3/8 ratchet, very short extension and torx 25 you can remove the two screws holding the camera bracket in place.
-Remove the bracket with the camera and cable. Note the orientation of the camera and bracket, remove the cable and attach the new camera
-install is reverse of the above steps
Camera powered up and worked as before. No programming required no warning lights etc. I'll let me wife drive for a few days and let you know if anything changes. whole job took about an hour, 30 mins if I had to do it again.
I claim BS on all this Audi alignment and programming, the dealer once told me I needed a dynamic alignment just for new tires.
All 5 of the parking cameras are the same, generic for VW, audi and porsche, I did not think they would require special programming, just plug and play. I think I'm right but time will tell.
​​​

​​​
Thank you for your reply buddy much appreciappreciated!
I think I will try to have it fix by a body shop.
it seems like the sensors are still working properly and it"# just te camera that is not fixed well.
I will Have a verdict on 1st of july and will update my situation here!
Old 06-12-2020, 02:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts

​​
​​​
I would agree as well when it comes to camera and park assist sensors. The radar globes, I would just be alittle hesitant since removal of the bumper may cause some slight shift after reinstalling.
Old 06-12-2020, 05:48 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bumparker, Thanks for the write up for replacing the camera. Did you remove the hood release cable from the inside hood release lever? After releasing the hood release cable, then you removed the hood latch assembly in the engine compartment? Thinking about replacing the grille camera myself.
Old 06-13-2020, 05:03 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I did not release any of the cables, there is enough slack to flip the whole assembly up and out of the way. I used a tie wrap to hold it out of my way. There is a black plastic piece under the latch assembly, you can just lift it up and it will slide out of the way.
​​​​​​If I did the job again I would have tried to use my small battery ratchet wrench to loosen the camera bracket screws, it might have worked easier but I didn't think about it at the time. But you can use a hand ratchet.
The most challenging part is getting the two screws on the back of the camera mount back in place due to limited operating room. It can be done but needs patience. You might want to super glue the screw to your torx bit to hold the screw while you manouver, but I was able to get the screw in place manually. Get both screws started before tightening all.the way.
Old 03-30-2023, 06:59 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I did some research. I bought a new oem camera online for about $150 plus tax.
​​​

​​​
Any problems two years later? I found several options on e-bay, is this similar to what you used?

VW OEM Cam

I’ve been trying to think what safety systems the front camera might affect. The lane minder is the only thing I can think of.

Quick Reply: Front grille camera