Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Front Parking Sensors

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2016, 07:49 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Parking Sensors

I have looked through the manual and settings and noticed that the front parking sensors do not activate automatically when you approach an obstacle. Did I miss something, maybe, hopefully? When I pull into my garage I don't always remember to hit the parking sensor button beforehand. Haven't had a incident yet but it worries me I might misjudge it at some point. Same for pulling into parking spots quickly which can be tricky since the sensors don't activate automatically and a protruding object could hit the car.

Just thought it is odd that they wouldn't engage when approaching objects at slow speeds. Unless like I said - maybe I missed a setting?
Old 08-14-2016, 04:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 235 Likes on 172 Posts

You have to press the parking sensor button to activate them. They also become active when you shift into reverse, but that won't be helpful in your situation.
Old 08-14-2016, 04:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 68 Likes on 52 Posts

I'm glad it works the way it does. I think it would be very annoying if it came on automatically because then every time you pull up behind someone at a red light, the sensors would come on, your music would dim and it would start beeping.
Old 08-14-2016, 05:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 235 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by RickObe
I'm glad it works the way it does. I think it would be very annoying if it came on automatically because then every time you pull up behind someone at a red light, the sensors would come on, your music would dim and it would start beeping.
It really shouldn't if it worked that way unless you are stopping extremely close to someone. Next time you stop behind someone, hit the button and I doubt it will pick up the car in front of you. My parents had a Toyota where they were always active and not once in 3 years did they come on in traffic.
Old 08-14-2016, 06:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also have a 2015 VW Golf R and the parking sensors come on automatically when pulling into the garage (not shifting into reverse).

They have never come on in traffic, but they have come on once or twice if wet snow accumulates on the front bumper.
Old 08-15-2016, 02:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Audi q7 is first audi where you dont need to press a button for them to engage!!! I hated my Q5 for having to press the button! You have to go very close before they activate automatically. Not sure if you have to activate it via menu, but all cars i have driven have it automatically on.
Old 08-15-2016, 04:05 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by jmbird07
I have looked through the manual and settings and noticed that the front parking sensors do not activate automatically when you approach an obstacle. Did I miss something, maybe, hopefully? When I pull into my garage I don't always remember to hit the parking sensor button beforehand. Haven't had a incident yet but it worries me I might misjudge it at some point. Same for pulling into parking spots quickly which can be tricky since the sensors don't activate automatically and a protruding object could hit the car.

Just thought it is odd that they wouldn't engage when approaching objects at slow speeds. Unless like I said - maybe I missed a setting?

"Haven't had a incident yet but it worries me I might misjudge it at some point."
We're having an incident right NOW. Hit a low curb Saturday in a strange dark parking garage. Tire is holding air but isn't safe, 1" road rash on the rim .
Our other car would have warned me!

Adding insult to injury the A3 will beep like crazy when I BACK out of our garage to get a new tire
Old 08-15-2016, 08:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

I don't remember changing any settings, but my car has been turning the parking sensors on even when I pull into parking lots lately. The first time this happened in the exact scenario you're describing. I was slowly rolling up to a red light with a car in front of me and the screen switched to the parking cameras. No other activation at red lights since, but the car now knows when I park most of the time.
Old 08-18-2016, 09:13 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by moncsicsi
I don't remember changing any settings, but my car has been turning the parking sensors on even when I pull into parking lots lately. The first time this happened in the exact scenario you're describing. I was slowly rolling up to a red light with a car in front of me and the screen switched to the parking cameras. No other activation at red lights since, but the car now knows when I park most of the time.
Mine activate automatically as well. Every time I get near to an obstacle in the front of the car the parking sensor activates automatically (but the front camera does not activate).
Old 08-18-2016, 09:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by jrosa
Mine activate automatically as well. Every time I get near to an obstacle in the front of the car the parking sensor activates automatically (but the front camera does not activate).
According to the manual it should only activate when you push the button or shift into reverse.

Quick Reply: Front Parking Sensors