Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

gas octane question

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2017, 07:10 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gas octane question

quick question, i am getting my q7 3.0 soon and just realized a problem, i fill at work (free) but the gas is regular.... 87 octane

will this be an issue? 39 month lease (will not be keeping it after)
Old 05-06-2017, 07:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

And this is why I will never buy a car coming off of a lease... Spending $60k plus on a car but not willing to maintain it how it should be taken care of.
Old 05-06-2017, 08:04 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks, you do what you have to do.

btw according to Audi canada they see no problem using 87 octane as in some areas it is the only fuel available.

I was thinking if octane boost would work. Anyone have experience with octane boost?

also please, informative and helpful replies would be much appreciated
Old 05-06-2017, 08:25 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I understand how a lot of people feel when responding to these fuel octane questions especially if someone is asking about using 87 octane on a car that is designed for 91 octane. It has been debated and discussed extensively in these forums. So extensive that a lot of us are about to puke on this subject.

As you mentioned, your manual states that you can use 87 octane but the power output will be slightly lower. How low, not sure but definitely not a big loss. In a test conducted by a third party, they used a 2011 VW GTI and pumped 87 octane to it. They ran performance tests on a dyno to see the effects of using lower octane fuel. The car went through two or three tanks of 87 octane during the test. The result was a loss of 10 horsepower. Not bad at all if 87 is all you can get in your area. When I did my own test back when I owned a 2011 VW GTI, I noticed that my fuel mileage went down by a bit. I know your Q7 has the 3.0L engine. I think the same result applies to your too. However, I do not know how much power is lost.

Here's the article: https://www.edmunds.com/volkswagen/g...its-power.html

As long as you don't do heavy duty stuff with the Q7 such as people hauling or towing heavy stuff, it should be OK.

Last edited by plat27265; 05-06-2017 at 08:31 AM.
Old 05-06-2017, 08:27 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Will your car run on 87, yes. But you will receive lower performance and life out of the engine. It isn't going to die in 39 months but I stand behind my statement that it is kind of crappy to willingly cause more engine wear than is recommended by the manufacturer when you know your leasing a car. You should tell The dealer of your intent and ask them what they think about you putting 87 in a car for 3+ years. Then again I put premium in the loaner cars I get. What goes around comes around I guess.
Old 05-06-2017, 08:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The question is does it do any damage. I'd be interested in the answer.
Old 05-06-2017, 09:15 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I did not purchase a 95k car CDN to save a few bucks on gas, also my dealer is well aware and the tech told me no damage will be done, I didn't believe them so they called Audi canada in front of me, this is not a "i want to be cheap since I leased and don't give a crap question"

Part of the pay structure is gas hence I am stuck with the 87octane (high quality 87, when the company negotiated gas, they took the cleanest 87oct as they had a few choices)

so here I am asking a question since this situation actually bothers me and I am looking for advice

If I use octane boost every time I fill, will it be the same as 91 Oct at the pump?
Old 05-06-2017, 09:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

I suppose you can use an octane booster to reduce pinging/knocking. I'm not sure how much a booster actually boosts the octane level. Like, can it take 87 to 91 octane? You will have to research and find the right one
Old 05-06-2017, 09:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No damage will be done, the engine computer will back everything necessary down in order to not cause any damage. Yes, you will have less power running 87 since the computer will compensate for the lower octain but again no damage will be done. My father ran 87 in a C6 Corvette for 8 years, my company runs 87 in MB S550's for 100,000 miles and then we sell them, never once an issue with them and we've gone through many of them. While I do not agree with running 87 in my Q7 or my C7 Corvette I do not believe any damage will be done to the vehicle.

Just my .02 and experience over the last 15 years with the MB's and my Dad's C6.
Old 05-06-2017, 09:51 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

From everything I've read, especially in newer vehicles, the engine management systems insure there is no long term damage. It just retards engine performance while using the lower octane.

Personally, I'll buy the recommended.

Quick Reply: gas octane question