Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Goodyear run-flat and puncture repair

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2017, 01:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Goodyear run-flat and puncture repair

So yesterday, one of the Goodyear run-flats got punctured by a screw. Several minutes after TPM alarmed, I pulled over and checked the tire pressure using a gauge - it was about ~17 psi. Soon after, I got the screw removed and the puncture plugged using one of those plug repair kits. So far, there has been no air leak fortunately.

However, knowing that a more proper repair involves patching the inner tube, I called two tire shops to see whether they can still do the patch after the plug. To my surprise, both shops said no due to the tire being run-flat. However, an assistant manager at a nearby Goodyear told me that even though they cannot do the patch, local mom-and-pop shops may be willing to do that.

Here are my questions:

1. Is it feasible and beneficial to patch a run-flat that has already being plugged?

2. When you get a screw in tire, air leaking fast, and you don't want to be late for too long. With run-flats, you basically have two options:
a). Continue to drive X<50 miles at a speed of 50mph or less, and then bring it to a tire shop for proper repair;
b). Use a plug repair kit and be back on the way in <20 mins.
When would you prefer option a) to b)? It appears that the more you drive a run-flat without air, the more damage is made to the sidewall, and less likely the run-flat can be repaired. So it appears that option a) is better if and only if X is small, say less than 20 miles?

Last edited by jcolinzheng; 11-19-2017 at 01:05 PM.
Old 11-19-2017, 01:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

If the puncture is in the center of the tire tread, away from the sidewall, I'd say plug it. Many will plug it for you. But you are correct, get it plugged asap like take it straight to a repair shop and minimize driving on the sidewall.
Old 11-19-2017, 01:16 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a nail in a tire and called around. I finally found that a Goodyear dealer would do it. I later noticed they scuffed up the rim in the procedure.
Old 11-19-2017, 02:11 PM
Ultimate Keyboard Warrior

Received 284 Likes on 204 Posts

Tire Repair
Like any other Goodyear or Dunlop speed-rated, high-performance tire, the Goodyear Run-Flat tire may be repaired to correct a puncture in the tread, but PROPER MATERIALS AND PROCEDURES MUST BE USED. Contact a Goodyear or Dunlop Run-Flat service facility for information on proper repairs. For the location of the nearest facility, call 1-800-GOODYEAR (1-800-466-3932).

https://www.goodyear.com/en-US/tire-...eplacementLink
Old 11-19-2017, 02:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Force-1
Tire Repair
Like any other Goodyear or Dunlop speed-rated, high-performance tire, the Goodyear Run-Flat tire may be repaired to correct a puncture in the tread, but PROPER MATERIALS AND PROCEDURES MUST BE USED. Contact a Goodyear or Dunlop Run-Flat service facility for information on proper repairs. For the location of the nearest facility, call 1-800-GOODYEAR (1-800-466-3932).

https://www.goodyear.com/en-US/tire-...eplacementLink
I think that is standard lawyer speak. any decent shop can plug a tire
Old 11-19-2017, 08:58 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Bozman5000
I had a nail in a tire and called around. I finally found that a Goodyear dealer would do it. I later noticed they scuffed up the rim in the procedure.
They usually ask "cheap plug" or "patch" and depending on how bad the hole is, I generally prefer a plug, not patch. Since patch requires removal of tire, and potential damage while mounting.
Some holes will require a proper patch, though. I would go with a plug whenever you can, it will either fix or not, and if you get a leak, go back and get a patch.
Old 11-20-2017, 03:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jcolinzheng
However, knowing that a more proper repair involves patching the inner tube, I called two tire shops to see whether they can still do the patch after the plug. To my surprise, both shops said no due to the tire being run-flat.

1. Is it feasible and beneficial to patch a run-flat that has already being plugged?
2. When you get a screw in tire, air leaking fast, and you don't want to be late for too long. With run-flats, you basically have two options:
a). Continue to drive X<50 miles at a speed of 50mph or less, and then bring it to a tire shop for proper repair;
b). Use a plug repair kit and be back on the way in <20 mins.
When would you prefer option a) to b)? It appears that the more you drive a run-flat without air, the more damage is made to the sidewall, and less likely the run-flat can be repaired. So it appears that option a) is better if and only if X is small, say less than 20 miles?
First, there is no "inner tube" in a car tire. Read up here: https://www.bridgestonetire.com/trea...run-flat-tires

Secondly, you don't patch a tire after plugging it. The plug is cut flush with the exterior of the tire but has a tail inside the tire. You can drive on plugged tires for a long time. "a driver can get a quick tire plug and drive another 20k miles on the tire with no problems." Read here: https://www.carsdirect.com/car-repai...-patch-vs-plug

I would prefer option a to b if I needed four new tires soon anyway. Just get them all replaced. If you pick option B, worse comes to worst, the air leaks out very slowly, you still have run-flat tires, and you get it truly fixed/replaced later.